• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just started spearing, noticing some cold shoulders?

Bizhu

3 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Don’t blame spearers for missing big pike as it’s everyone. 

I agree, its not solely because of spearing.  But it has no doubt played a role.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gimruis said:

Most lakes with walleyes are non native too, what's your point?  Maybe we should stop stocking them also.

? works for me!!!!!!!!?

• Yayyyy 1

7 hours ago, creepworm said:

I wouldn't say I am anti-spearing but am not pro-spearing either.

Along with the ramifications on the fishery that has already been covered,  nothing irks me more that all the unmarked spear holes and ice chunks left on top of the ice. I would rather see garbage left on the ice that a block of ice or a skimmed over unmarked hole. At least the garbage isn't dangerous to others.

I lived on Lake Osakis last winter and spent more than a few hours marking other peoples skimmed over spear holes. It is reckless and extremely dangerous.

I totally agree, I've been the recipient of a few bent snowmobile ski's because of it. never encountered however skimmed over spear holes. its usually pretty easy to spot where a fishhouse has been set. USUALLY!!!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gimruis said:

I agree, its not solely because of spearing.  But it has no doubt played a role.

taking ANY bigger fish out of a system has a role in any population.

• Thanks 1

Last spring in the second weekend in March ( after we had those 40 degree days and rain) I was out walking around a lake. Some people had speared it a few weeks before ( when season was still open) and no joke there hole was wide open and had grown about 2-3 times the size it was. And of course it wasn’t marked. I’ve seen a few holes with blocks on ice yet that weren’t pushed back in this year. But both not marking and not pushing blocks back in dangerous. It takes very little energy for an individual to do this before they call it a day. And actually it could save someone’s life. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Last spring in the second weekend in March ( after we had those 40 degree days and rain) I was out walking around a lake. Some people had speared it a few weeks before ( when season was still open) and no joke there hole was wide open and had grown about 2-3 times the size it was. And of course it wasn’t marked. I’ve seen a few holes with blocks on ice yet that weren’t pushed back in this year. But both not marking and not pushing blocks back in dangerous. It takes very little energy for an individual to do this before they call it a day. And actually it could save someone’s life. 

that can happen. years back I speared the lake the cabin was on the very last weekend. I push the ice chunk back in the hole and mark it. later on in march I took my grandson up to fish panfish. that ice chunk was completely melted and a wide open hole. we fished and caught sunfish out of that hole. the spear holes e cut that weekend, if I remember right there were 3...……..were all open...…..and we where still driving wheelers on the ice.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Very common to find large openings in ice after several 40 degree days, and especially with rain. 8" angling holes can easily double in size overnight after a good rain. 

It's pretty hard to "mark" holes at that point in the season. Best time to be out there, in my opinion. But, by all means,  if your not comfortable with it Stay Home. For those that want to experience the best bite of the season, just watch your step, and be careful you don't loose that Vexilar down an oversize hole ? or get pulled in by a big fish ? ? ?  

Won't be long, for me to get the planks and waders ready ?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

taking ANY bigger fish out of a system has a role in any population.

Absolutely.  But angling with hook and line has the option for catch and release.  Spearing does not have that option.

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Absolutely.  But angling with hook and line has the option for catch and release.  Spearing does not have that option.

Release is not chucking the spear!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gimruis said:

If you don't mind me asking, how are old spear holes supposed to be marked?  I'm not familiar with this issue.

Usually by grabbing a stick, piece of brush, downed branches from shore.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Release is not chucking the spear!

BINGO!! There isn't a time out that I don't laugh my arse off watching the way some of them pike act.

That's the most fun of spearing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

18 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Sticks like smurfy said, or an arm full of cattails.  I always made sure I had enough lumber marking my holes nothing would sink or blow away and could be seen from a good way off by a snowmobiler.

Ahh, gotcha.  Technically isn't leaving lumber out on the ice considered to be "litter" though?  Branches or cattails are natural, but I don't think lumber is.  I could see how cruising along on a sled or ATV and then running into a fresh spear hole would be catastrophic.

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Ahh, gotcha.  Technically isn't leaving lumber out on the ice considered to be "litter" though?

? yeah, actual lumber would be littering.  I just meant that as a slang expression for wood, aka branches.  

For what it’s worth, I think you know I’m also one who appreciates a good muskie and will gladly abide by conservation efforts for the specie.  I just don’t put any one fish higher above all others when it comes to the management of a lake.  Except maybe lake trout! ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1