• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Let’s hear about your 2020 projects up at the lake. At my daughter’s request, I am going to rebuild the outhouse to “higher standards.” What do you plan to do?

• I Like it 1

Many things.....have our footings straightened and/or repaired. Cut up downed birches and put in piles for winter burning, wash off mildew on roof....

• I Like it 1

Same here....get mildew and moss off granular shingles. What's the best method? Can I just spray a heavy layer of bleach solution on it??

• Thanks 1

Last summer I used a product called "30 SECONDS Spray & Walk Away".  You literally spray it on and walk away.  It worked really well.  I searched and read quite a bit about killing moss on roofs and sidewalks, and this product came up time and time again.  It kills slowly over a period of several weeks.  The moss turns from green to brown and then can be "gently" washed off so it doesn't take the mineral granules off of the shingles.  Most of what I read online indicated that a bleach solution is not very effective at killing the moss.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

You could install a zinc strip near the ridge on the mossy side(s) of the roof. They work well and prevent future growth.

Interesting. I've never heard of this 30 Seconds stuff but it sounds promising.

• I Like it 1

Going to re-deck one of my docks. Got 18 years out of the current cedar decking on a 24'-0" long dock. Anyone use Treated pine? There's Cedar-Toned Treated 2X lumber that's about 1/2 the price of cedar but a little heavier. 

21 hours ago, Big V Bobcat said:

Going to re-deck one of my docks. Got 18 years out of the current cedar decking on a 24'-0" long dock. Anyone use Treated pine? There's Cedar-Toned Treated 2X lumber that's about 1/2 the price of cedar but a little heavier. 

When I did my old dock I did the first couple pallets with treated 2x6 pine.    Those ended up being like twice as heavy, or at least felt that way, than the ones I made out of cedar.   

The cedar is worth it if you are carrying it around a couple times a year, unless maybe you are really young and strong.  

• Thanks 1

when I redid my dock I stayed with cedar,,  the green treated will warp and you will not be happy, see that happen to some folks....  but you do what's best for you and the pocket book..  just my 2 cents

• Thanks 1

Cedar tone is just the new name for treated lumber. They essentially pre-stain it after treating, which is why they call it cedar tone. You won't find treated pine at most of the big box lumber stores anymore.

I agree with others. You'll appreciate the cedar down the road, even if there is a cost premium now.

• Thanks 1

40' of treated cedar on ours that's 25+ years old & still in real good shape. It's been redone with a white outdoor stain 2-3 times & is usually covered with a tarp in the winter though. The 2 newer 10' sections have synthetic decking on them.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mbeyer said:

why isn't synthetic decking an option? AZEK, Trex?

Because most of the standard width docks have too great of span between the steel supports (24"-30") and the synthetic decking isn't rigid enough.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Going to finally put up a dock flag on our dock this Spring. Was is the usual height, 25 feet? Any recommendations to a brand or just buy anything off of Amazon Prime?

Thanks for any insight!

Now that I'm retired I'm going to fill in all the little holes/ divets in the cabin lawn. Black dirt is kinda hard to find up there but I know of a garden on sand lake that had some.???

I purchased a flag pole from Eagle Docks last spring.  Fits right on top of a dock post, likely compatible with your dock if you have a standard vermilion lift dock.  Here is a pic from their website.  Slick setup.

0C063262-4CE7-458D-AC80-8219AABADAA2.png

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, PSU said:

Going to finally put up a dock flag on our dock this Spring. Was is the usual height, 25 feet? Any recommendations to a brand or just buy anything off of Amazon Prime?

Thanks for any insight!

I suppose it depends on what flag you are flying and how loud you want to announce it to the world.

• Wow, ❤ 1

13 hours ago, smurfy said:

Now that I'm retired I'm going to fill in all the little holes/ divets in the cabin lawn. Black dirt is kinda hard to find up there but I know of a garden on sand lake that had some.???

?? If your still using those union shovels somebody will see you & I know where your place is ? 

• Yayyyy 1

I put up and remove a 12' flag pole that slips on to front end of dock frame. Handling of that 12' pole can be tricky. I'm not sure a 25 footer could be managed easily.

Another question I have surrounds television. For close to ten years we didn't have tv, but now that the kids are gone we have started streaming through my iphone / laptop, but can get very sketchy on busy weekends when more people are using the cell towers. Also, we have a generous data plan, but it slows down after 30GB. We are in the Frazer / Smarts Bay area on an island. What sort of stations would an antenna bring in on a smart tv? I really don't want to pay for Direct TV or any expensive options, but there has to be a better way than through my cell phone data.

Thoughts?

I’m on the north side of pine and put up a fairly inexpensive old style antenna. I mounted it under my deck. I get NBC, My 9, and CBS all very clear.  Good luck!

Access Media is $50.00 a month. I had it for about a year and it's been pretty good. I lowered my cell phone plan to offset the price. Infact, I just switched to TMobile senior plan and saved a fair amount per month. I was skeptical of T-Mobile service in the area, they have a program called "test drive", where they send you a hotspot devise that you use for one month (free of charge), to test the service in your area. You go on their website and plug in your address and it will show you what kind of reception you should have at your address. Mine said "limited", so I wanted to test it before I made the switch. I had 1-2 bars off and on. Talked to them, they sent me a booster for around $25.00- I time fee. It worked great!! Maxed out my bars and I can now get service in my garage. If anyone switches, let me know and I'll split the referral reward ?. One thing, the booster plugs in the modem, so you have to have internet service. The unit sits near the modem, no wires/antenna to run outside.

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

You wanna run a cable under the lake from your modem to my place CigarGuy?  ?

It wouldn't last through opening weekend. Imagine how many people would snag it down by the narrow part of the channel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

That actually happened last spring since our power runs from Laura's property under the opening into Black Bay and over to the first cabin.

We lost power for about 8 hours on Memorial Day weekend. That's longer than usual without a storm but I didn't think much of it since we were out on the water all day. The next week the Lake Country Power called to say they were turning off the electricity to our side of the bay for a few hours to repair multiple propeller hits that occurred over the previous weekend. I asked if they would consider moving it deeper and she said maybe...someday...but it would take a bunch of easements and permits, blah blah blah. She didn't sound like they had any interest in doing anything but wrapping some duct tape on it and hoping it never happens again.

Oh well, I tried! That's the fun of owning where we do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1