• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Chill62

Milwaukee harbor trout

Borch

Always looks like a blast with those jawjackers or auto fisherman.  Fighting those big Browns and steelhead on a short rod through a hole in the ice on light line would be fun.

bigpunfun

Always dreamed of getting out and exploring other great lakes. Got to fish Lake Superior a few times out of Duluth and it changes my ice fishing life!

• Wow, ❤ 1

Chill62

Heard browns fight but nothing like steelhead. took probably 20 min to get mine in. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Don’t ya love when the weather forecasters are wrong?  S’pose to rain all weekend, but we were blessed with overcast/partly sunny weather.

Over the weekend, we fished around on 3 little lakes (all <200 acres) in Bemidji area (Clearwater county).  One lake was already up to 66 degrees in the middle! 
      Most vegetation is still low except a few lily pads were just hitting the surface at the shallows; bulrushes are still dried/brown.  With the warmer weather this week, I’ll bet the lakes will start filling out with vegetation in a matter of days and probably be growing fast.

Sunny/crappie bite was nice on Sat; dead on Sunday—had to work to find them though.  (Morning bites were poor--Afternoons much better.  Evening is always good…)
      (males were staging; females weren’t around yet)  Their location varied between hugging emergent bulrushes to being suspended at ~8 feet in ~15 feet of water.  (the suspended ones weren’t biting, though)  We were using slip bobbers with 1/32 flu flus and nightcrawlers.
      Found some nice perch hugging the bottom in 7-10 FOW jigging with 1/16 pink/white beetle-bou jigs.

Once sonny boy starting catching northerns casting a shad rap, then princess wanted to catch a nort too; so our fishing trip shifted from casting bobbers to trolling with spoons and the norts were very cooperative—getting 1-2 strikes every time down a simple shoreline of ~100 yds.  Norties were fat and healthy!
      Princess caught her PB northern!

Hoping to be back fishing around in Stearns and Morrison county (central MN) this weekend and got another getaway planned for next week.  Happy Fishing!
    • Mr. 5 pounder
      By Mr. 5 pounder
      I've been going up to the areas mentioned for 20 plus years now and ended up buying a cabin in the Bovey area. Looking to hear and share some fishing reports about the surrounding lakes. Never keep much besides some pesty northerns and panfish (which are plentiful) for the occasional lunch. So, I highly respect the area, but if you know the area at all, you will never be able to fish all its lakes in a lifetime... so some well informed fishing reports is always welcome. Again, I emphasize "smaller lakes," because the bigger ones (Jessie, Round, Wabana, etc) all have fishing reports available. Post if you're interested and lets get a good conversation going. 
    • Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Rick
      By Rick
      In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you!!

Your sacrifice and courage gave us a country where we can pursue our dreams without the fear of others denying our freedom, essential liberty and ability to pursue happiness. Thank you.

I promise your sacrifice has not been made in vain. I will always be vigilant protecting what you so courageously bought for all of us. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Courage and love, over fear and hatred...ALWAYS!

THANK YOU VETERANS who gave everything that we might live FREE!
    • NDAngler
      By NDAngler
      Hey folks,
      First post here. I've really wanted to get into smallmouth fishing. It's hard to track down reports about rivers and creeks, so I was wondering if there are any nice smallmouth creeks around Ottertail County. I live about 50 miles into southeast ND and I have a couple cabins I can stay at around Otter Tail. I would really appreciate any information you are willing to share. Thank you!
    • Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      Ended up going out to the South end of the lake this weekend. Did ok for bites not knowing the lake so only brought home one pike. Saw quite a few more but they were all too big to keep with the 24-36 slot in effect. Biggest surprise was catching a small pout on my first cast yesterday. Definitely a river lake.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      5.18.2020 On the south end...  Resorts are open and anglers enjoying fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 20 - 30 feet of water.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink or gold / orange colors hard to beat.  South end water temps warmer than north end of lake.  Fish on the south end mainly post spawn, up north, still spawning.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike continue to be caught as well.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleyes were caught in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  Some fish still being caught in the Four Mile Bay and the Bostic Bay areas.  Fish are post spawn.  Some shiners are in the river holding fish. The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points and reefs close to islands in 8 - 25 feet of water effective.  Some good fish also coming on crankbaits in 8-12' of water. 

• Muskies
      By Muskies
      Hello everyone.
      I have not seen or heard from anyone on the form so I thought I would post some pictures of opening weekend on rainy lake, May 16 and 17. Water is about 18” low from July levels and water temperature is 56 degrees as of Sunday. The walleyes and bass were caught on jig and minnows in 8’- 12’ of water. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• KidMoe
      Looks like a great time and some big smiles! You’re gonna have the kiddos rousing early you every weekend for more time on the water!
    • KidMoe
      With that detail Borch I could spend all summer trying the different suggestions and combos! Very well done sir!    I might have to venture away from Pool 4 to try out some clearer water for night time eyes!
    • smalliehunter
      couple good ones from last couple weeks.  Top pic is my pb 10¾"  Bottom photo is a ten incherfinally got a ruler with white lines that will show up in a photo
    • Djsnej123456
      Just meaning trout  waters that have natural population of trout that are born and grow in the water their entire life.  Green pumpkin, browns, watermelons, black, silver/ blue, some orange. Colors those fish are used too. Insects, Minnows, crawdads etc. 
    • Djsnej123456
      Great pic
    • DLS1988
      I was up last weekend(Memorial Day weekend) at the cabin on Birch Point. Where my electronics reading right that water was 64-66 degrees? Also tried up in the shallows in the pencil reads and sandy rocky bottoms of big bay, the side of the point our cabin is on, hoping to find crappies on beds, but nothing. Seems like the perfect area and water temp for all other lakes I’ve fished and there was nothin. Not a sight of beds or fish. Maybe there just isn’t good crappie numbers there? Anyone will to share some shallows for sight fishing on beds? And info on that water temp or what it currently is. and if that was right, is that still not warm enough for vermillion? Gonna be up the weekend of 6/5 to try again, and hoping to not miss it this week. Thank you
    • Mr. 5 pounder
      Thanks for the input, Patches and good to hear you did well in the area.   Johnson lake is a memorable one for me. I fished there for the first time about two years ago around the last week of June and as soon as we drove past Frontier my pin clip for the boat trailer fell off. Never found out why and never happened again, but I noticed it gone at the launch. I was with a buddy of mine and my father, and I told them to just troll near the launch while I went back to look for the clip. After about 15 more minutes I found it in the middle of road, right outside Pine Cone Cafe.   By the way, it was overcast with the occasional sprinkle, but the sun would spill out as well. When i got back to the launch I noticed my two fisherman pals where not eager to come pick me up. In about 20 minutes they caught 3 walleye trolling spinners in about the 10-12 foot weed line outside of the launch.  We kept one feeling we were deserving giving the circumstance, but as soon as I got in the boat luck failed us again. We trolled the whole lake and only caught one more on the east side. The weather kept getting better which was probably the reason, but it seems like Johnson is like most likes in the area... where if there is a hot walleye bite its not going to last too long.    My Dad went out on Burrows the other day and got nothing too exciting besides northern while fishing the same tactic.  Thats one of our "go tos," but Im currenty not in the area, but getting there soon. Hopefully i bring better reports come as well.   Good Luck    
    • CigarGuy
      There's one on Craigslist in the free section. It's in rough shape, but the floats look good. Brooklyn Park.
    • gunner55
    • chucker1101
      Smallmouth should be on beds spawning. Good time to fish smallmouth. Fishing off shallow water off rocky islands on East side of Vermilion should be in play. Troll and throw spinners to shore.  Look for line where big rocks end and small rocks/gravel starts. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.