• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Quality Bluegill Initiative

Tom Sawyer

As I stated on FB yesterday, "About time", long overdue. 

I'm all for it, but the problem I see on these lakes with reduced bags have some serious culling mortality during winter. Granted these lakes won't normally be on the radar of most meat hunters, but sadly those that do keep fish, constantly upgrade. Also, naming trophy lakes can also put a target on their back, and actually increase pressure. Some lakes that have trophies aren't on the list because of this exact reason. 

Not a fan of plucking fish from beds in spring. That should be considered harassment. Some areas should be closed during spawn on such lakes. 

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

I like the idea. Maybe 5 daily with 10 possession limit or 10 daily with same possession. Wife and I both love gills and it seams like 6, 8 or so inchers is about just right. Nice to have a meal once week or so.  Would be difficult to have a family fish fry tho and I would not like that. We do that maybe three times a year. Grandkids love a few pieces. 

• Yayyyy 1

eyeguy 54

If just certain lakes with the limits it would not be a problem to get enough on other lakes for the family fish fry. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Tom Sawyer

For those of you that are for new regs to help protect this fragile resource, please attend meetings and voice your opinion. Sadly opposed viewpoints out way those in favor. 

• Thumbs Up 2

IceHawk

I'm all for limit changes on certain lakes but definitely not all lakes. Personally some stunted lakes could use more of the smaller gills taken out. AND in some with bad genetics it doesn't always work.  Pleasant Lake by St Cloud MN has a 5 fish gill limit. I lived on this lake for a few years  fished it fairly hard and sadly even with the rule never really saw trophy gills so does it work in all lakes?  Love the  5-10 fish rule on Gills on  Known Trophy caliber lakes for sure and adding more lakes  In time after seeing the results. Saw some on the list that IMO needed something done because of fishing pressure Osakis, Irene, Grove and hopefully the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes if I could get my way. I have fished all of these above waters hard for 30 years plus. I have seen the decline in trophy gills on these waters. I personaly am more up for a protected slot on panfish. Say all but 1 gill over 9 mandatory release. For crappies same all 12 over go back except one over. My biggest pet peeve and something that definitely needs to be addressed is fishing spawning beds during spawn This is probably one of the biggest reasons we are seeing a decline in trophy fish. Male gills are very very  vunarable during this time. There aggressiveness makes them very easy to over harvest. I guess my Last thing even if or whenever these rules get voted in or out,  Is as Anglers stewards of the sport we educate teach people how important it is to follow some of these guidelines without a law to help the future of our fisheries. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Kettle

Having fished more lakes with 5 fish limits on bluegills I can see the difference. Besides tiny lakes in the middle of nowhere all the 10 inch gills I've caught in past winters have been from lakes with restrictions and I can say the same for the 13+ crappies too. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

gimruis

New regs are long over due.  Could use it on other species like walleyes and crappies too.  Might not help much at this point though.  Its very difficult to regulate this with a shortage of people to do it (not enough COs).  Its gonna take more of a cultural shift.  People are gonna have to start targeting them for the sport/enjoyment of it rather than just to harvest them.  Like bass or muskie fishing with voluntary release.  And I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Heck, just look at all the sunfish and crappies being harvested just on this website.  Just my 2 cents

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Rick

I would like to see a measurement also put in place to lower harvest of big bull gills.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

I hope they put some limits on lakes by me. It’s hard to watch the guys go pull the males off the nests every spring. I try to educate as many fishermen to release those gills over 8 inches and explain why it’s important to do so. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

CJH
On 2/14/2020 at 8:03 AM, gimruis said:

Heck, just look at all the sunfish and crappies being harvested just on this website.  Just my 2 cents

I'd like to see it applied to Gills + Crappies.  I'd also like to see it instituted state wide where appropriate.  Long overdue.

3 hours ago, Rick said:

I would like to see a measurement also put in place to lower harvest of big bull gills.

I have no problem with a protected trophy slot or like.  

Edited by CJH
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk

Really surprised there isn't more feedback from viewers on this one? It's a great topic lets see some more thoughts and opinions on this. If you are against it don't be afraid to put your opinion up. I promise you I personally wont cut you down or judge you because how you feel. I as others are am  really interested in finding different ideas and some solutions to help the declineing trophy panfish in MN .  Be nice to get a bunch of opinions on this.   I will be attending listening  and voiceing  my thoughts and others in any upcomeing meeting on this subject. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Borch

I know a group of us have talked a lot about this recently.   I really like the 10 or 5 depending in the lake.  The 1 over 10" if someone wants a trophy gill.

For crappie regs just look a bit south.

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

HoleHoppingGills

My thought and by the way I'm a huge gill and crappies guy. Id like to see all MN lakes with a regulation that 9 or 9. 5 inch go back ASAP on crappie!!. Been seeing a lot of.lakes destroyed by fishermen taking limits of small fish. Use to fish a small.lake near Tonka few times a year and always did well on quality panfish... I went there few years later like I always did in the spring off a dock to catch spawning crappies. Lake has no access,  anyways some guys were fishing and had there kids to obviously use them for fish limits, Watched this guy pull in a 5 inch crappie, turns around lifts up a metal basket out of the water. This basket maxed out and completely full.of 5 to 7 inch crappies.  About 6 in the party kept EVERYTHING. Tried it few times that winter which I normally did back then.... no fish population at all.  Just my thoughts sorry so long lol

• Thanks 1

Wanderer
16 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Really surprised there isn't more feedback from viewers on this one? It's a great topic lets see some more thoughts and opinions on this. If you are against it don't be afraid to put your opinion up. I promise you I personally wont cut you down or judge you because how you feel. I as others are am  really interested in finding different ideas and some solutions to help the declineing trophy panfish in MN .  Be nice to get a bunch of opinions on this.   I will be attending listening  and voiceing  my thoughts and others in any upcomeing meeting on this subject. 

You might not find much opposition on forums cuz the people that use them are learners.  This is our life and we’ve paid attention to what goes on out on the water/ice.  We’ve had our times when we’ve realized what our own actions have meant and make efforts to be better sportsmen and conservationists.  If all of us here kept every legal fish we catch up to our limit, we’d be WAY over on possession - who can eat that much fish?  We don’t view a freezer full of fillets as food security, we view a lake full of swimming fillets as food security and fun security.  Making a smaller withdrawal from the lake here and there is better than living on a couple jackpots per year when one really lands on em.

That statement might sound arrogant but I believe it to be true.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

whateverisbiting

I would love to see more restrictions on all species but they have to include a protected slot.  There are so many success stories it should be obvious by now.  It seems to work better when a mid-range length is protected or all fish over a certain length go back.  I have heard concerns that restriction will reduce interest including from out of state (economic impact), but with better fishing I doubt that is the case.  I think what helps with this is allowing 1 trophy over a certain size in your limit.  As for the stunted theory...as a kid I fished a lake where I could limit out on 8" crappies any time but never caught one over 9".  We were told to keep as many as possible so we could thin them out.  A 9" minimum was put on the lake.  And like magic when I went back and fished as an adult almost all the crappies were just under 9", but I caught a limit between 9-12 inches.  I remain somewhat skeptical of the stunted fish theory...not that it does not exist, but it is an overused excuse.  Just reducing the limit does not help...you need to add the slot with it.  Or just use the slot, which is somewhat self-limiting in what you can keep.  For some, reducing the number you can keep is a psychological boost...with less effort they can say we limited out!  For others, reducing the limit is not limiting, because they just keep adding fish to the freezer with no fear of getting caught over limit, whereas for a slot there is high risk of keeping illegal fish while on the water.  With the new northern regulations, I have already seen the impact in increasing size...all fish from 22-26 go back and now I am seeing those small northerns get some bulk (it is not because they are stunted and people are keeping all the northerns under 22" to thin them).  I don't think that "educating" people is effective; if you care, you already know.  It needs to be legislated.

Edited by whateverisbiting
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78

I release all gills over 8 inches and I release most fish i catch. The photo was of one of a few nice ones released today. I was able to chat with some young guys who were impressed with the number of fish I was catching. They all asked why I was not keeping all of the gills and I said I only keep them when I am going to eat them as they are best fresh. I also explained the importance’s of release big bluegills and to eat those 7-8 inchers. Both you guys said that make sense and both said they would release the big gills from now on.

87EA576A-097E-41B7-9D5B-0DB732D07290.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1