• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sharpening Laser ice auger blades

Stickjiggler

Did a post back in 2016 - author used smooth blades lazers are smooth with small notches cut in the blade. You may get some tips out of this sharpen process.

Sharpen Auger Blades at Home

Asked by papadarv 

papadarv

Fishing Minnesota Family

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN

446 posts

Posted March 2, 2016

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I take mine all the time to Too Sharp Sharpening service In St Cloud he does a great job sharpening them I have about 6 sets and I always alternate them out when they get a little dull.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I just buy an extra set and then drop them off at a bait shop that swaps them out to get sharpened Its been a while since I have needed it so not sure who even does that any more.

Always make sure you get the ones made from sweden and not some cheap chinese knockoffs:

image.png.0198563440044f8c6368d9a38e4b190c.png

• l Love It 1

Thank you Papa and retriever Rick.  I am going to try this on my 9" x 3 Laser (hard to find replacements any more) blades tonight.  We used to be able to do the blade swap, but I can not find that available any more.  I have tried sharpening with a bench grinder and metal files before with no real success. 

I have also shipped the blades to a sharpening place.  When I got them back, I wrote to them asking if they missed the final step or two, since it looked like cave-man type work.  They would cut late-season, honey comb ice, but not solid clear ice.  This was a true waste of money and time.    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Stickjiggler said:

Has anyone had any success sharpening their own Laser blades?

Any tips, tricks?

On 2/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Stickjiggler said:

Has anyone had any success sharpening their own Laser blades?

Any tips, tricks?

You just sharpen the top of the blade. I use a fine grit grinding wheel that I use for sharpening knives. They will cut like new. I go over the cutting edge very lightly. This leave a slight burr on the under side but that is ok. If you touch the bottom of the blade they will totally not cut ice at all. This also works on my Ion blade also.

John

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, Hoey said:

I am going to try this on my 9" x 3 Laser (hard to find replacements any more) blades tonight. 

This did not work for me.  The 9" blades are concave.  

On 2/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, IceHawk said:

Too Sharp Sharpening service In St Cloud

I did send a set to Joe here.  I got them back and they look really good.  IDK when I will get a chance to try them out.... Maybe after the current set stops cutting.  Thank you IceHawk.

• I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
59 minutes ago, Hoey said:

This did not work for me.  The 9" blades are concave.  

I did send a set to Joe here.  I got them back and they look really good.  IDK when I will get a chance to try them out.... Maybe after the current set stops cutting.  Thank you IceHawk.

You are welcome hope they work out for you!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thank you @IceHawk for all the help you give everyone here.

Guys you gotta follow him by clicking on his name then this icon.Screenshot_20200208-175350_Chrome.jpg

His posts will start slowing down once outdoor construction season starts up again....but when he's back, he know his way around lakes and rivers in yhe northland.

• Thumbs Up 1