• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To minnow or not to minnow?

mrpike1973

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
1 hour ago, Tom Sawyer said:

That JT is sweet. Quite a few noodles out there that basically do the same thing. Mine was 12 bucks ?  

Yep, I have one of those too. Great for panfish.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, Sculpin said:

Mr Pike:  Are you seeing/marking fish during your time on the ice ?  If so, you should be able to coax a few by changing up your presentation. I like to think that if I can see them, I can get a few to bite. Take care to stay out of the middle of the school, and focus on the fish riding higher in the water column, they are generally the more aggressive of the group, and in many cases the bigger fish. Many times they will charge up well before your presentation even reaches them. Crappies generally feed up, that is to say they will rise to the bait from below, and inhale it. That is why sometimes your float simply tips over, vs. goes down, if so, set the hook.

Lots of great tips throughout the thread on this, so keep trying, and utilize all the presentations at your disposal, crappies will generally show you what they do and don't like, keeping working them until they react. I like small spoons, and work them aggressively, generally with a couple red larvae tipped on the treble.

Good luck !!    

Some of the best crappie advice I've seen.  Can't say how many times I've gone out marking fish but not having any takers, but all I've had to do was pull out the big Buck shot hold it about 3 feet higher than the fish I'm marking and twitch it once or twice.  Almost always pulled out the big one of the bunch and kept me from getting skunked.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to add that i would have a minnow head on there too, I always thought it looked like a broken minnow tossed down the hole and floating down.  Works like a charm though

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well done Sir dandie! Nice color Bet that was a heck of a fight 

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that’s not a great bet for me to take this time.  So you’re 1 fer 3 now this year on guessing where I’ve been! ?

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

A strong 25 on that stick in the corner without pinching the tail.  Thought she’d go a tick longer but she was deep.

Released by the way.  Just had walleye last night and some leftover tonight.

so did you use some of icehawks world renowned secret juice????????

awesomefish by the way!!!!!!!!!!!?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Smurf better be carefull. A bottle may find its way  under your seat in your vehicle, waiting to ferment a little more. ? Better keep your eyes open ?

• Yayyyy 2

31 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Smurf better be carefull. A bottle may find its way  under your seat in your vehicle, waiting to ferment a little more. ? Better keep your eyes open ?

well if its gonna work on lake koronis pike...…..i'm game.? looking to rid the lake of some next Saturday!!!!!!

Nice walleye, I have caught several walleyes while fishing crappies. If there are smaller 4-6 inch crappies around there will be Walleyes not far away.  Lately several guys I have chatted with claim they see crappies on the Vex's but they won't bite.  I wonder if those are really shiners?  As there are lots of shiners in Buffalo lake, and several other lakes here in central Mn, have large amount of shiners roaming the lakes.

I use minnows in several different areas,  and sizes can make a difference as well.  If the crappies are biting good, even fatheads will work and take the bigger ones at that. if it's slow smaller minnows, down to a size 16 trout bug on a drop shot.

• I Like it 1

On 2/16/2020 at 10:03 AM, smurfy said:

Naw, I just spit on it a little.  And I sorta mean that.  When I was out hole hopping the minnow head froze while I was trying my other baits (usually have 3 set ups handy).  A frozen minnow head floats on the hook so I had to thaw it out in my mouth and crunch the ice out of it with my teeth so it would hang right.  Yah - hard core heathen! ?  Anything to save the hands I guess even though it was my last try before heading into warmth.

• Yayyyy 2

On 2/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, Wanderer said:

Well that’s not a great bet for me to take this time.  So you’re 1 fer 3 now this year on guessing where I’ve been! ?

Ha! Looks like I’m 2 for 3 now! If anyone wants the lake name and GPS cords. Shoot me a PM and I can get those details heading your way! 

C2A1BA2D-71AA-480B-88A2-70CE2D8BF4FF.jpeg

• Yayyyy 1

Geez, I must’ve just missed ya.  I was just there for a check up.  

I suppose I could return the favor and mark your favorite spot out there so peeps at least have more than one reason to hit er up. ?

Now I gotta take the TV out... ?

Edited by Wanderer
  • Yayyyy 1

Yeah! I was a few minutes to late!! Haha go right ahead! To bad I don’t have a hot spot out there? but come late ice I might.... 

Well the TV is out - thanks for the extra trip out there.

I don’t have a favorite spot out there either.  Nor is it my favorite lake.  You and I fish it for the same reason; it’s close to home.  That’s the 4th set this season and may not be the last.

I've personally spent years catching crappie with minnows. 

Usually I will drop a dead stick with a minnow and jig another line with a waxie. Have similar luck on each rod.

Always depends on what the fish want of course. I like to give them the most options.

• Thanks 1