• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To minnow or not to minnow?

mrpike1973

OK some advice here. When most of you post about catching your sunfish or crappies it's almost always on a small jig/worms/plastic set up I rarely hear about on minnows. Now before I get ahead of myself yes I know that sunfish are not noted for minnows yes occasionally but not the norm. I have tried several night bites for crappies with minnows I have caught 2 so far this winter. My question is would a dead stick with just a jig and a few spikes work better? Minnows I'm finding seem to slow me down and even though rumor has it a deadstick is the next best thing since sliced bread I'm not seeing it. Just to note I am jigging with another rod small jig with spikes generally that's what I get my pan fish on. Thanks just want some advice keep the minnows or leave the bucket behind?

Most times I’m using a minnow head and jigging - if I’m using a minnow.  Most of my life I used a Demon and whole minnow under a bobber.  That’s how I set my wife up now.

At times when you really have to work on them to hit a plastic, the minnow head is a game changer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I only use minnows when I'm not running and gunning.  Then it's a deadstick with a minnow and demon most times.   If that isn't getting bit I'll switch over to a split shot above a plain hook.

Otherwise it's plastics or tunsten tied flies.  If I'm using a jigging spoon sometimes I'll use spikes,  minnow heads but often use gulp spikes or minnow heads on my jigging spoons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr Pike:  Are you seeing/marking fish during your time on the ice ?  If so, you should be able to coax a few by changing up your presentation. I like to think that if I can see them, I can get a few to bite. Take care to stay out of the middle of the school, and focus on the fish riding higher in the water column, they are generally the more aggressive of the group, and in many cases the bigger fish. Many times they will charge up well before your presentation even reaches them. Crappies generally feed up, that is to say they will rise to the bait from below, and inhale it. That is why sometimes your float simply tips over, vs. goes down, if so, set the hook.

Lots of great tips throughout the thread on this, so keep trying, and utilize all the presentations at your disposal, crappies will generally show you what they do and don't like, keeping working them until they react. I like small spoons, and work them aggressively, generally with a couple red larvae tipped on the treble.

Good luck !!    

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm setting up over a scool or a " fish highway" I will set up a dead stick drowning a minnow. Otherwise,  if I'm actively working an area, or searching for fish,  Its almost always tungsten and plastics for panfish. The exception is when working schools of crappies deeper than 20 ft,  for this I will go to an 1/8 or 1/16 oz spoon and a small minnow head. The bigger presentation will sometimes trigger the bigger fish in the school.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies all. When I run and gun I never use minnows. Lately I have been trying some relaxing sit in the fish house with a dead stick and jig one rod. Just thought I would get more on minnows. I just never thought minnow heads for crappies I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

• Thumbs Up 1

This winter a tugstun jig and minnow head seems the be the best thing for crappies it was a new idea to me presented by a friend but I am catching a lot of fish with that and then just seting a deadstick or cork rod down by it with a crappie minnow

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1

I almost only use minnow heads for crappies. Helps keep small sunnies and perch away too. I’ll always have eurolarvae with, but crappies prefer the minnow heads most of the time. A chartreuse forage minnow is literally the only lure you need!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

These are Forage Minnows

7C3EA816-CD23-4605-BE22-03E2C253DC9B.thumb.jpeg.c954fc5ee5fbf230a9d9a3c6954edb28.jpeg

The white with green top jigs are Demons

14655DB6-0258-48DC-AAAB-88CB99262A46.thumb.jpeg.fa606b09b3bfadf622a0c860a8f44080.jpeg

Keep at it @mrpike1973, read, fish, and drill baby drill!  When people say try different jigging cadence, really think about that and what you’re doing.  It’s easy to get into a muscle memory habit of jigging one way or another.  My SIL catches fish cuz he doesn’t stop trying - and he’s popped some good ones - but last night I stood over his shoulder while he worked some fish and didn’t get one to go.  He was jigging harder than the fish wanted and dropping the bait a little to the fish.  I asked for the rod, jigged it over the mark in smaller movements and raised it slightly.  10 seconds maybe and I hooked up. He just smiled.  1 more experience to learn from.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wanderer! I love those smallest forage jigging spoons they are hard to find. I thought that's what was meant. I've never used the Demonds. I guess a trip to the local bait store is in order. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I always start with a minnow head on a jigging spoon for my jigging rod and if I'm sitting in the portable I have a full minnow hooked by the tail on my other rod. If the fish are not responding to the jigging spoon then I'll down size to a tungsten jig with a plastic or waxy but then I have to sort through the small sunfish too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I guess if I was sitting over crappies in a house it would be a minnow on a dead stick with spring bobber and a tungsten with plastics on the other. That slow wiggle has been key it seams this year. Hole hopping I like a spare setup in the rod holder on the vex so I have a little variety. Plastics again all season this winter. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought you knew dead sticking is a technique. ?

• Yayyyy 1

21 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I thought you knew dead sticking is a technique. ?

Someone obviously doesn't. A "dead stick" eliminates the need for a bobber. No dead stick rod has a spring bobber attached either, the rod itself is the bobber. The blank is so light on the tip, it would be impossible to add a spring ? ? ?

Please enlighten us all that use this technique .....

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Yayyyy 1

I can use my 28 inch light fenwick elite and put  a titanium bobber on it and the minnow will barely move it. Crappie comes along and sees a nice snack and the spring will go slowly up or down. In my mind this would be a dead stick technique. And also to me a regular bobber under a rod iwill call that rod a dead stick. And I am sure that you know where you can stick it. ??

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Yayyyy 3

34 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I can use my 28 inch light fenwick elite and put  a titanium bobber on it and the minnow will barely move it. Crappie comes along and sees a nice snack and the spring will go slowly up or down. In my mind this would be a dead stick technique. And also to me a regular bobber under a rod iwill call that rod a dead stick. And I am sure that you know where you can stick it. ??

R-6520452-1421176344-1134.jpeg.jpg.b956d7b7be9a129d8c8b01252a5d7cd9.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I deadstick on occasion with a spring bobber. It works.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting.  A dead stick with a spring bobber. ?

Yep, the entire end of the blank, no wonky add on. Quite the concept.

This should help.....

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • l Love It 1