• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mrpike1973

Hello all, Can I drive out on the access by long lake or the one off 22 that is the winter access? I have a small¬†Escape is the snow bad or very steep grade to get out of? I want to get out but don't want to get stuck if it's real bad.ūüėĀ

Rick G

All the lakes on the chain are drivable right now. Was on Long,  Cedar, Shoe and Becker in the last two days. All have pretty consistent 18-20inches of ice. Snow is minimal, dont worry about getting stuck

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

mrpike1973

That's awesome Rick Thank You!

Dave S

Just be sure to avoid areas near bridges. A snowmobile went through open water between horseshoe and long last week.

• Thanks 1

Rick G
4 hours ago, Dave S said:

Just be sure to avoid areas near bridges. A snowmobile went through open water between horseshoe and long last week.

They were either drunk or unfamiliar with the lake. The channel between long and shoe is always open, even in the coldest years I wouldn't be back in there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave S

Personally, I would fall into the category of being unfamiliar. That's why I rely on guys like you who know the area¬†ūüėČ

• Haha 1

smurfy

back in the day I used to frequent that bridge bow fishing. I shot and hit the biggest carp I ever seen. looked like a submarine. I never did get that bugger.¬†ūüėę I couldn't stop it. that 50 lb line ripped open my finger trying to stop it, and broke both the prongs on my arrow and it came out.¬†

• Wow 2

IceHawk
19 hours ago, Dave S said:

Personally, I would fall into the category of being unfamiliar. That's why I rely on guys like you who know the area¬†ūüėČ

Some good advise is to stay away from any neck down flowage areas between the major lakes. Chain is basically a reservoir. Plenty of current areas  throughout the whole entire chain. Very intimidating but once you learn it,one of the best multispecies fisheries in the state. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Borch

This year especially.   Lots of water flow this winter has resulted in even more sketchy Ice in current areas than usual.  If your not sure if a spot is safe it's a good idea to check it out before you "send it".

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Calvin Darling
      By Calvin Darling
      Would any of you know if this location will be open this weekend? I'm just looking to explore the creek and really want to just get in a creek/river with my waders

• Rick
      By Rick
      After going 9 wins, 3 losses and 2 ties since Dec. 7th the Gophers Hockey team sits atop the Big Ten Standings and relevant again for the NCAA tourney sitting at 16 in the pairwise rankings.

They are tied with Penn State in the Big Ten Standings with each having 36 pts.  A huge battle is coming between them this weekend.

Another great thing in the race for 1st place in the Big Ten is that Penn State's Big Ten season is done after this battle. While the Gophers have 2 more games against Michigan, who sits with 33 pts, the following week to accumulate points.

There are two more teams at 31 points. So the Gopher's last 4 games in the Big Ten may determine not only who wins the Big Ten Title, where they are now in the drivers seat, but may determine if they even make it to the NCAA's.

Of course there's always the Big Ten Championship Tourney which produces an automatic bid.

What do you think folks?
    • DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Just reminding everyone, your current license expires in 11 days.  Thanks to leap year, you get one bonus day to fish this year.
      2020-21 licenses will be going on sale today, according to the DNR.
      (CO's are usually out in force on 3/1...)
    • banton441241
      By banton441241
      A canoe requires a ‚ÄúJ‚ÄĚ stroke (to compensate for paddling on one side) whereas a kayak has a balanced left and right stroke that better aids in tracking and balance. Canoe paddles are heavy. Kayak paddles are ergonomic and light!
      AND
      What is the difference between canoeing and kayaking?
    • Lane-O
      By Lane-O
      Great site! So I have an 18yrold Eskimo Baracuda with the Turbo bottom assembly .It has always ran great but that Turbo is a Beast and quite agressive . Ive had to have the flites welded 3 times over the years¬†were the flite meets the shaft and has never seemed to make any difference on cutting . However, the last time it was welded was close to the bottom and we ddint notice that the plastic gromet that centers the Spike was melting ūüė≥, sooo we just put it back in place
      and centered the best we could and let the plastic cool. I used it a few times after that and it cut "Alright".....But.. now it bounces around like a four year old in  a bounc-house . So my question is, is it worth it to just put in a new Spike and some new blades ? Or should I just get a new Qantum 10" bottom?

• Lane-O
      By Lane-O
      Great site! So I have an 18yrold Eskimo Baracuda with the Turbo bottom assembly .It has always ran great but that Turbo is a Beast and quite agressive . Ive had to have the flites welded 3 times over the years¬†were the flite meets the shaft and has never seemed to make any difference on cutting . However, the last time it was welded was close to the bottom and we ddint notice that the plastic gromet that centers the Spike was melting ūüė≥, sooo we just put it back in place
      and centered the best we could and let the plastic cool. I used it a few times after that and it cut "Alright".....But.. now it bounces around like a four year old in  a bounc-house . So my question is, is it worth it to just put in a new Spike and some new blades ? Or should I just get a new Qantum 10" bottom?

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      OK some advice here. When most of you post about catching your sunfish or crappies it's almost always on a small jig/worms/plastic set up I rarely hear about on minnows. Now before I get ahead of myself yes I know that sunfish are not noted for minnows yes occasionally but not the norm. I have tried several night bites for crappies with minnows I have caught 2 so far this winter. My question is would a dead stick with just a jig and a few spikes work better? Minnows I'm finding seem to slow me down and even though rumor has it a deadstick is the next best thing since sliced bread I'm not seeing it. Just to note I am jigging with another rod small jig with spikes generally that's what I get my pan fish on. Thanks just want some advice keep the minnows or leave the bucket behind?
    • Jdhunts
      By Jdhunts
      How do I handle water in my Marcum recon 5 camera???
    • Matt Johnson
      By Matt Johnson
      Results from the event on Clearwater Lake.... 

1st Place - Matt Milbrandt/Adam Griffith (9.68 pounds)
      2nd Place - Justin Hammer/Joe Crapser (8.14 pounds)
      3rd Place - Mike Raetz/Travis Kratcha (7.995 pounds)
      4th Place - Matt Brookman/Ben Putnam (7.975 pounds)
      5th Place - Josh Dehn/Jeff Morris (6.795 pounds)
      Big Fish -  Matt Brookman/Ben Putnam (1.365 pound Crappie)

For a complete list of the results... Circle Lake Results - CLICK HERE
      Also check out the UPL Facebook page for more photos from the event... UPL Facebook Page - CLICK HERE

Enjoy!! 
    • Matt Johnson
      By Matt Johnson
      Results from the event on Circle Lake.... 

1st Place - Mike Ferrell/Andy Walker (9.79 pounds)
      2nd Place - Justin Hammer/Joe Crapser (8.97 pounds)
      3rd Place - Ben Lutterman/Devin Kuehne (7.895 pounds)
      4th Place - Matt Brookman/Augie Isaacson (7.735 pounds)
      5th Place - Matt Waldron/Adam Griffith (6.76 pounds)
      Big Fish -  Matt Waldron/Adam Griffith (1.425 pound Crappie)

For a complete list of the results... Circle Lake Results - CLICK HERE
      Also check out the UPL Facebook page for more photos from the event... UPL Facebook Page - CLICK HERE

Enjoy!! 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

√ó
√ó

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.