• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

slammer

Random thoughts

slammer

Just read the new regs for 2020 on Mille lacs.   Same as 2019.  Locals are not happy and I don’t blame them one bit.  It’s amazing that one agency can dictate the livleyhood and economy of so many people.  There should be some way to hold them accountable.  It is sad what has happened around the big lake.  Nowhere in the US has there been a debacle like this. 

Now I read that LOW has seen a tremendous increase in wheel house traffic this last December.  A combo of bad conditions on Red and the crazy regs on Mille lacs has moved a lot of the crowd up north and increased pressure there.  One resort reported almost 1000 wheelhouses in a weekend came through.   

So how does the DNR manage this?   They basically close down one of the largest lakes in the state and force people to go elsewhere creating pressure somewhere else.  Granted LOW can handle it for now  but what if you start seeing a decline?  Apply more regs and people move on to the next lake.?  See where I’m going with this?  I think they’re shifting pressure from lake to lake instead spreading it out statewide.  Who knows what’s next for regs.  A limited number of houses or boats on a lake at any given time?  A lottery system to see who gets to fish where and when?  Sounds crazy but I wouldn’t put it past them to implement something if things get bad

People are very mobile now and will travel to get to the popular destination.  I would support a 4 fish limit statewide and maybe close LOW earlier instead of the middle of April.  Just some thoughts..........

• Thanks 1

ozzie

Kinda all over the place on your thoughts...also amazing that you just read the regs and already have a reaction from the locals and resorts.🤔 

Many business's have to play by certain rules created by a government agency not just resorts.  The people that decided to make their living by doing it off mother nature and public waters or woods know the uncertainty they are playing with.  In the Mille Lacs situation, they are playing with more factors than Ma nature and the MN DNR, as they also have to work with the other entity that has an interest in the lake...the tribes.  A lot of moving parts there...

The moving caravan of ice houses will always travel to a lake with access and or a hot bite with access.  If the resorts feel the wheel houses will cause a strain on the lake they make money off of, well then they can manipulate the situation by controlling the amount of houses they let out from their property.  I am guessing greed will win out though more so than the health of the fishery.  Just my guess and opinion, not that it means anything.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

creepworm
1 hour ago, ozzie said:

Kinda all over the place on your thoughts...also amazing that you just read the regs and already have a reaction from the locals and resorts.🤔 

Many business's have to play by certain rules created by a government agency not just resorts.  The people that decided to make their living by doing it off mother nature and public waters or woods know the uncertainty they are playing with.  In the Mille Lacs situation, they are playing with more factors than Ma nature and the MN DNR, as they also have to work with the other entity that has an interest in the lake...the tribes.  A lot of moving parts there...

The moving caravan of ice houses will always travel to a lake with access and or a hot bite with access.  If the resorts feel the wheel houses will cause a strain on the lake they make money off of, well then they can manipulate the situation by controlling the amount of houses they let out from their property.  I am guessing greed will win out though more so than the health of the fishery.  Just my guess and opinion, not that it means anything.

I agree with everything stated in this post. Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 1

JBMasterAngler

The C&R and/or 1 fish limit in winter is the best thing that’s ever happened to Mille Lacs! It’s helped the lake to avoid the onslaught of “wheelhouse warriors”, that otherwise would have absolutely raped the lake (not to mention the littering), had Mille Lacs had the standard 4 fish limit. 

Shortening the walleye season on LOTW? I wouldn’t necessarily oppose that. But not any shorter than the ice house deadline of March 31.

• Thumbs Up 2

fishkid
8 hours ago, slammer said:

Nowhere in the US has there been a debacle like this. 

no true. you want to see heated arguments between user groups come up and listen to the sports fisherman and commercial guys go at it about reds and kings on the kenai river. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

• Thumbs Up 1

Lund/Yamaha

I think instead of a size restriction they should have a total inch limit state wide. Say 65" of fish you decide what you want to keep to equal that. This way certain age groups of fish are not being constantly removed from our lakes. One person might take 2 21"ers and a 23" another might take 4 17"ers.

• Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

I was told there would be no math.

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

IMO guy from Portside seems to be a little butt hurt his business will be impacted by the rules that were handed out, but in the same breath he is stating that his business is thriving!  He has nothing but his own backyard "scientific" beliefs to fall back on and thinks that the lakeshore owners, or the businesses that profit off the states waters and fish, should be able to be left alone to dictate how the lake is ran which is very comical IMO.  I understand a guys frustration in dealing with a government entity, but to sit back and listen to his rant (obviously with a personal agenda) and to believe his statements as fact, is a bunch of bologna too!  If the rules in place have been making the fishery thrive, and his business thrive, then why is he complaining like he does?   

• Thanks 1

STMA_I_HUNTER

Well I just watched the video and didn't quite get the same feel that his business was impacted by the rule but rather the process which I completely agree with. Just my opinion.

To the post that the reg's are chasing the wheelhouses to LOW, I say BS. Did you not see the ice issues at Mille Lac's, the weather conditions are/were the issue?  When you have a $15K plus house and you can't get it out because of ice you travel.

Either way, I personally have seen very good fishing in 1 hour from my house and while I don't agree with all the reg's, I don't believe it can be a free for all.

Best of luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1