• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

slammer

Random thoughts

slammer

Just read the new regs for 2020 on Mille lacs.   Same as 2019.  Locals are not happy and I don’t blame them one bit.  It’s amazing that one agency can dictate the livleyhood and economy of so many people.  There should be some way to hold them accountable.  It is sad what has happened around the big lake.  Nowhere in the US has there been a debacle like this. 

Now I read that LOW has seen a tremendous increase in wheel house traffic this last December.  A combo of bad conditions on Red and the crazy regs on Mille lacs has moved a lot of the crowd up north and increased pressure there.  One resort reported almost 1000 wheelhouses in a weekend came through.   

So how does the DNR manage this?   They basically close down one of the largest lakes in the state and force people to go elsewhere creating pressure somewhere else.  Granted LOW can handle it for now  but what if you start seeing a decline?  Apply more regs and people move on to the next lake.?  See where I’m going with this?  I think they’re shifting pressure from lake to lake instead spreading it out statewide.  Who knows what’s next for regs.  A limited number of houses or boats on a lake at any given time?  A lottery system to see who gets to fish where and when?  Sounds crazy but I wouldn’t put it past them to implement something if things get bad

People are very mobile now and will travel to get to the popular destination.  I would support a 4 fish limit statewide and maybe close LOW earlier instead of the middle of April.  Just some thoughts..........

• Thanks 1

ozzie

Kinda all over the place on your thoughts...also amazing that you just read the regs and already have a reaction from the locals and resorts.🤔 

Many business's have to play by certain rules created by a government agency not just resorts.  The people that decided to make their living by doing it off mother nature and public waters or woods know the uncertainty they are playing with.  In the Mille Lacs situation, they are playing with more factors than Ma nature and the MN DNR, as they also have to work with the other entity that has an interest in the lake...the tribes.  A lot of moving parts there...

The moving caravan of ice houses will always travel to a lake with access and or a hot bite with access.  If the resorts feel the wheel houses will cause a strain on the lake they make money off of, well then they can manipulate the situation by controlling the amount of houses they let out from their property.  I am guessing greed will win out though more so than the health of the fishery.  Just my guess and opinion, not that it means anything.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

creepworm
1 hour ago, ozzie said:

Kinda all over the place on your thoughts...also amazing that you just read the regs and already have a reaction from the locals and resorts.🤔 

Many business's have to play by certain rules created by a government agency not just resorts.  The people that decided to make their living by doing it off mother nature and public waters or woods know the uncertainty they are playing with.  In the Mille Lacs situation, they are playing with more factors than Ma nature and the MN DNR, as they also have to work with the other entity that has an interest in the lake...the tribes.  A lot of moving parts there...

The moving caravan of ice houses will always travel to a lake with access and or a hot bite with access.  If the resorts feel the wheel houses will cause a strain on the lake they make money off of, well then they can manipulate the situation by controlling the amount of houses they let out from their property.  I am guessing greed will win out though more so than the health of the fishery.  Just my guess and opinion, not that it means anything.

I agree with everything stated in this post. Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 1

JBMasterAngler

The C&R and/or 1 fish limit in winter is the best thing that’s ever happened to Mille Lacs! It’s helped the lake to avoid the onslaught of “wheelhouse warriors”, that otherwise would have absolutely raped the lake (not to mention the littering), had Mille Lacs had the standard 4 fish limit. 

Shortening the walleye season on LOTW? I wouldn’t necessarily oppose that. But not any shorter than the ice house deadline of March 31.

• Thumbs Up 2

fishkid
8 hours ago, slammer said:

Nowhere in the US has there been a debacle like this. 

no true. you want to see heated arguments between user groups come up and listen to the sports fisherman and commercial guys go at it about reds and kings on the kenai river. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

• Thumbs Up 1

Lund/Yamaha

I think instead of a size restriction they should have a total inch limit state wide. Say 65" of fish you decide what you want to keep to equal that. This way certain age groups of fish are not being constantly removed from our lakes. One person might take 2 21"ers and a 23" another might take 4 17"ers.

• Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

I was told there would be no math.

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

IMO guy from Portside seems to be a little butt hurt his business will be impacted by the rules that were handed out, but in the same breath he is stating that his business is thriving!  He has nothing but his own backyard "scientific" beliefs to fall back on and thinks that the lakeshore owners, or the businesses that profit off the states waters and fish, should be able to be left alone to dictate how the lake is ran which is very comical IMO.  I understand a guys frustration in dealing with a government entity, but to sit back and listen to his rant (obviously with a personal agenda) and to believe his statements as fact, is a bunch of bologna too!  If the rules in place have been making the fishery thrive, and his business thrive, then why is he complaining like he does?   

• Thanks 1

STMA_I_HUNTER

Well I just watched the video and didn't quite get the same feel that his business was impacted by the rule but rather the process which I completely agree with. Just my opinion.

To the post that the reg's are chasing the wheelhouses to LOW, I say BS. Did you not see the ice issues at Mille Lac's, the weather conditions are/were the issue?  When you have a $15K plus house and you can't get it out because of ice you travel.

Either way, I personally have seen very good fishing in 1 hour from my house and while I don't agree with all the reg's, I don't believe it can be a free for all.

Best of luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
    • Dadman2017
      By Dadman2017
      Headed up to Duluth area tomorrow, want to wet a line. No boat. Anyone wanna share a bite?  Will traverse any country for some filets!!!
    • Chill62
      By Chill62
      Wow did the walleye bite turn on!!!! Edges of the weeds pulling a plain Lindy with a leech was the ticket. shortened to 4 foot to keep leech from weeds helped. This fish measured 30.0 on a FM Walleyes Unlimited board. Girlfriend didn't want to mount it so after a while we got it revived and it took off for the weeds. Best part this lake isn't even managed for walleyes!

• iStryka
      By iStryka
      I live in the keewaydin 55417 area and the family craves fishing, a lot of the lakes around the area are a bit high pressured it seems as we've been out as far as Lake Elmo, Clear Lake, Vadnais and Lake Peltier but to no avail ( 2-3 hours of fishing with only 1 catch on some days ) on sport fishes. Is there a creek/river/backwater that's accessable for shoreline fishing that's got good fights? I'm down for kayaking too since we have a Jackson Tuna and a F&S Shadowcaster but we don't have an anchor so river kayaking is a no go ( I'm a fairly large lazy dude ) for me.

Our next target area would be Cannon River south 30 minutes of us.

Happy Fishes everyone
      - Charlie
    • Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • Bart V
      By Bart V
      I'm fishing May 28 - 31, 2020. Are we using leaches or crawlers on walleye's?
    • whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      I get up very early for work so I have not done a lot of night fishing.  Thinking I might try to get out for eyes this year.  Looking for tips on trolling shallow water like 5-10' inside weed line (that's where most boats seem to be at night).

1) Is a gas motor ok or does it need to be electric?

2) Live bait or plugs?

3) Long lining or short lining matter?

4) go to plugs to try (color, type and size)

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Poutwhacker
      We bring a weather and an FM radio. Cell phone coverage is sporadic, but you can find a signal almost anywhere (but usually it originates from Canada). Bad weather can come in a hurry, so it is nice to be able to know what is coming in advance.
    • Grainbelt
      Do you know anyone who reloads? Ammo has been bought up with the civil unrest currently going on.
    • BirchPtMike
      I would agree with James about tough bite. The last few days have been tough. You wont see those mayflies in Big Bay, because they all hatched last week. We have had high heat no wind to go with mayflies,then fish flies so I think that explains the problem. It will get better soon as minnows become primary food source for eyes. Wont see you out there for a while as I have to leave for a week. Good Luck !!
    • monstermoose78
      Lots of people looking just no posts
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Unfortunately this forum has gone really quiet. All lake superior users moved to the Facebook group:(
    • Muskies
    • ManBearPig
      I may not get a chance to fish Leech before this fall, but I still really liked reading your report Joe.  Thank you for posting.
    • ManBearPig
      One more question about communication and weather alerts on eastern Rainy Lake.   We could occasionally get  an AT&T signal, especially after we had signed up for the Canadian signal.  We were about 16 miles east of the visitor center, and at the Kemp Channel entrance.  The signal strength kinda depended on weather conditions and time of day.   I am looking at the possibility of getting a weather alert radio.  It states:  Public Alert Certified Weather Radio, Receives all 7 NOAA Weather Channel and Reports.  It is also an AM/FM radio.  Does this actually work in the mid-lake area, or would you recommend something different?
    • james_walleye
      Ive been up since Friday. Until today ive been out in short stints hour here or there each day. Sometimes just graphing areas looking for pods of fish. I caught a few fish each time but considering the thick pods I fished it was tough to get them to go. This morning I finally got out and hit it a bit harder. Ive had zero luck dragging lindys through these fish. Ive gone to camping on them with slip bobbers and leeches. 15-18 feet. The bite definitely hinges on getting some wave action from the wind and that's been tough to come by. There was a window this morning where it was an alright chop and I was able to get 4 in that 14.5-16" range. I tossed back a couple that were about 19 3/4. I'd rather eat a 15" personally. But again I was on carpets of fish and it was pick one off here and there. I fished 4 different reefs for those fish. Lots of Fish flies. So annoying. I did not see substantial evidence of any may flies. I'll be up most of the next 10 days. I'd think there bite would pick up soon. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lots of limits of nice walleyes this week with plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  Schools of fish all around the lake.  From the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gap area which is adjacent to Pine Island to Zippel Bay to reefs and mud near Long Point and Rocky Point all producing.  Garden Island area also holds nice schools of walleyes.  The go to presentation is pulling spinners with crawlers or leeches at 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Some anglers are doing well trolling crankbaits as well on lead core line or downriggers.  Nice schools of walleyes also staged over deep mud.  Some fish are shallow, 7- 15', other fish holding in 23 - 31'.  Hammered gold, gold/glow, pink, and orange hot colors this week.       On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching some good fish as the season opened on July 1st.  Fishing holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Walleyes hanging out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   Excellent fishing for walleyes, pike and bass continue.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  Bucktails for pike retrieved slow working well.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.