• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dave S

Ice Reports on Surrounding Lakes

Dave S

Might be heading up to Borden Lake this weekend. That is, if the ice and travel conditions are good. Is atv travel possible or hasn't there been much traffic on the lake?

wookiemofo

Let me know what you find, we are heading to Borden the following weekend... pending ice road!

Connorkenefick

Been to Borden multiple times can’t seem to find any nice crappie holes, any preferences?

• Thanks 1

Dave S

I've never been on the lake. Been wanting to try it for several years.

Rick

Welcome to FM @Connorkenefick.

Thanks for the report.

Dave S
On 1/23/2020 at 11:14 AM, wookiemofo said:

Let me know what you find, we are heading to Borden the following weekend... pending ice road!

If you plan on traveling by snowmobile, you should be ok. Local bait shop told me not many people have been going out there with the springs that run into the lake.

There were a few vehicles that drove out a few hundred yards from the access. A couple guys told me whoever plowed the road banked it up and flooded the ice. They also mentioned a area of slush near the snow piles.

It was easy for me to avoid the lake when a few cars set up for ice racing showed up on trailers. 

Drove past Farm Island Lake and Cedar and saw very little activity. Only a few houses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer
1 hour ago, Dave S said:

It was easy for me to avoid the lake when a few cars set up for ice racing showed up on trailers. 

We saw them getting stared when we drove by, then quite a few more trailering toward the lake on 18.  

Pretty quiet out there otherwise.  Not saying that’s a bad thing either!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Does anyone have current knowledge on ice road distances? I know each resort will be different. Hearing roads are 20+ miles out from pine which would put them beyond garden. Heading up after the weekend and curious how far the roads are out. Any info helps, thanks guys. Enjoy fishing with the warm weekend!
    • cjgardner
      By cjgardner
      2020 Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports, Grand Rapids - Click Here.

I will be staying at a resort on Pokegama in early June. What can I expect as far as fishing? Are there any methods that traditionally work well this time of year? I am not particular to a species, just looking for some action. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Empty Well
      By Empty Well
      Current Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports, Grand Rapids - Click Here.

I have been fishing walleyes on Pokegama for the past few summers with very little luck. Admittedly, I have not put much time in, but I plan to this summer. Can anyone provide any insights as to how to fish them, as well as where to fish them, both day and night? I notice that most posts highlight Winnie, Sugar, Split Hand etc., with little mention of Pokegama. Is it simply because it is very difficult to fish?
    • The Donk
      By The Donk
      2020 Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports - Click Here

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I will be staying up here for the summer (work) and am wondering if this lake is a viable way to entertain myself.
      Any pointers, or what species is good to target would be much appreciated, and if any of ya get around St. Cloud I would be happy to return the favor.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      In all the years going to low never fished them,  heang up this weekend and thinking of trying there. Are they any good or should head out far like everyone else?
    • Storm
      By Storm
      I realize Lake of the woods is definitely more of a day bite but am going up second week of March and will be sleeping in my pop up. Was thinking of fishing during the day in the 30 ft range where most others are and then moving up shallower on structure in hope of picking up a few overnight? Also could care less about number of fish, mainly looking for bigger mature fish as I don’t keep fish most of the time anyways. This will be my first time there so any help appreciated.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of ice fishing with lots of fish frys.  Good fishing reports, most fishing in 27 - 33' of water.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent at around 30 inches where most are fishing.  Use combo of jigging line and deadstick.  Try spoons or lipless crankbaits with rattles to pull fish in.  Pink hook with a minnow on deadstick effective this week.  Some good colors overall, gold, glow, pink, green, orange and chartreuse.  Don't be afraid to downsize presentation on a tough bite day.  Small spoon with a minnow head, wax worm or euro larvae can catch extra fish.  Electronics will catch more fish.  Some nice walleyes showing up suspended.  Pike fishing continues to heat up.  Tip ups and big baits on quick strike rigs  the ticket.  
      On the Rainy River...   Local anglers catching some walleyes in the river.  Most anglers fishing the lake.  Extra caution is always needed on the river, especially with higher current this year.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  Work through resort or know ice conditions if ice fishing the river as ice thickness varies.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing reports good up at the Angle.  Resorts in 26 - 32' of water.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with big jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  The snowmobile trails both across the lake and in the woods are in great shape.  Jigging with a bait with rattles has helped to pull in walleyes.  Fish houses on the ice through March 31st, walleyes and saugers open through April 14. 

• JeremyJohnson
      By JeremyJohnson
      I am from Iowa we are planning a trip up to Big Trout Lake, I was wondering about the ice conditions (snow, slush, and thickness) any info would be appreciated.
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Can I cut the quick connect from the vexilar charger and then cut alligator clips off my lithium charger and switch them with no problems? I know there would be no issue with the alligators on the vex charger. Curious about the lithium with quick connect. The new 20 has the quick connect. 
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      On a lake near Sugar. Got on to some great sunfish they were deeper than I thought 22 feet deep suspended at 14 feet. Nonstop for 2 hours a black tungsten jig worked best I did try plastics for a bit for building up confidence but the fish showed otherwise quickly. Went back to 3 euro worms 4 was to many . Then I got a 10.5 bluegill my first one and wouldn't you know it my phone was about 2 blocks away. So I let her go not going to keep a fish out of water to get a glory picture. Oh well next time. Get out while you can the lakes were good with the warm up but who knows in a couple of weeks. That was on Friday. Drilled a few holes for an older gentleman that just wanted to fish A while I was glad to help out enjoyed chatting with him. Then went out today almost the same thing but unfortunately near a community spot and within 2 hours everyone was out there and a dog peed on my fish house was not happy threw snow on the house cleaned when i got home I left soon after very rude people unfortunately and the fishing died right away oh well.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Eyesniper
      Good to hear. Thank you Hookmaster.
    • Liprippinfishing
      Hey guys, new here, is there anywhere you would suggest to ice fish for good size crappie near elk river minnesota 
    • Hookmaster
      I heard Adrian's road goes all the way to Garden island.
    • fishingstar
      looks like it's the walking wounded on here this year good luck man I enjoy your ideas.
    • Stickjiggler
      Papadarv Your camera setup looks pretty sweet. Any chance you would do a how to build it for us?
    • Rick
      Welcome to FM @chuckziegler.   Thank you for the info.
    • CigarGuy
      I think BigV sent you a msg. The number on the sign is 218-666-6063
    • papadarv
      I fish out of a wheel house, hub or flip. Over the years I have found a camera to be an extremely fishing tool as long as water is somewhat clear. (Dont work well on Red or LOTW). My Flasher or Showdown both mark fish before they show up on camera due to cone area greater than camera view. Biggest advantage over flashsr/showdown is the "light bite" which happens often on ice. With flasher, red (fish) consumes green (bait) turning green to red indicating fish on - setting hook and miss. With camera I see fish barley lip the minnow/worm/plastic often hold a few to 15 seconds than suck bait in and instentally spit it out aka the miss. With camera you see the suck in, set the hook, fish on. Watching the many behaviours really adds to wisdom. Sometimes like last Sunday watching my grandkids playing and learning with Gills & Perch was extreanily gratifying. My camera is self built, in a suitcase totally push button wireless to drop, retrive, rotate left/hight, one button record high def.  
    • Wanderer
      😄 yeah, actual lumber would be littering.  I just meant that as a slang expression for wood, aka branches.     For what it’s worth, I think you know I’m also one who appreciates a good muskie and will gladly abide by conservation efforts for the specie.  I just don’t put any one fish higher above all others when it comes to the management of a lake.  Except maybe lake trout! 🙃
    • Chill62
      Lake travel getting better...you can thank me for buying tracks 3 weeks ago!!!  LOL  Good thing is it'll make it easier to get around bad part is the sun will start eating up the ice quickly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.