• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rigging a new 1875 ProGuide

Hookmaster

Question

I think this is the year to pull the trigger on a new boat, a 1875 ProGuide. This will be my early retirement present ( a little more than 18 months away). Salesman suggested 36 volt trolling motors, Vantage and Ultra. I know 24 volt will do the job but 36 volt will give longer run time and there will be times when I take multi-day trips without being able to recharge unless I get a generator. Motor choices are 90 hp Merc or Yamaha. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha for more $$ since I've had good luck with the F100 on my current boat, bought new in 1999. Does anyone have any feedback on how well the rpm adjustment works on the Merc or Yammie? Helix12 will be the graph/gps in the rear. Any feedback/comments is appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 answers to this question

Both will allow you to troll slow with the RPM adjustment. The Yamaha is more expensive for a reason. Your resale on a Yamaha will also be higher and I do believe they run longer with fewer issues but a lot of people love their Merc's too. Personally when I am back in the market for a boat, I'll run a Yamaha or Suzuki

• Thanks 1

I’m a Yamaha guy myself but after running with some people who have the new Mercs I can’t knock them at all.  Kettle is right on the resale; if not significantly a higher value people still see them as a premium add.

One fishing partner has a newer 1775 with a 90 Mercury, Vantage on the back and Ulterra on the front; just like you’re looking at.  It’s a solid machine.  The Ulterra has been tough for me to get used to and I curse every time I accidentally tap the auto stow button on the back of the foot control.  I’ve been a die hard cable drive guy so I don’t look before I put my foot down.  Now that I’ve had more time on it, I would probably get one myself.

The Vantage are nice but keep in mind they have a continuous draw on your batteries, thus one of the reasons for systems moving to 36 V. If you’re concerned about the multi day trip without a charger, you might want to ask a couple questions about the amp draw.  My friend keeps his plugged in all the time so I can’t tell you how you might be affected.  

The 1875 had been my dream boat for a while and I still haven’t seen a better interior layout.  One thing I was surprised at with the 1775 is the ride being rougher than expected in big waves.  The length of that boat, coupled with the broad beam is a big reason for that other that it being aluminum.  I’ve recently ridden in a narrower 19 foot Lund in big water and felt it rode better.  I’m considering used fiberglass boats along with the 1875 just for the ride and tracking in the wind.

I wouldn’t worry about that though if you’re not planning on tackling big water and big waves.  The fish ability of the 1875 platform is really hard to beat!  

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback so far. I didn't know about the continuous draw on the Vantage. I'm going to the boat show this weekend and will talk to the MinnKota staff about that.

I plan on fishing big water as I do now but am smart about avoiding big waves. My current boat is a1999 Lund 1700 Angler SS. It has served me well and the new boat will allow me to handle bigger waves with the same level of security.

Keep the feedback coming

The safety aspect of not going to the front of the boat to stow a trolling motor on a windy day is reason enough for a Ulterra. I have a 36 volt but for yours I'm sure a 24 volt would be enough. 

I have had Yamaha's in the past and never a issue. The variable rpm control on the Yamaha's work well. I have a kicker on my tiller so I really don't have a opinion on a Vantage.

• Thanks 1

Well I pulled the trigger on the boat at the boat show on Saturday. You can probably hear me smile through the computer!! ???

I agree about deploying or stowing a bow mount trolling motor in rough water. I've almost gone over a few times so I crawl up to the bow now. While I was waiting for the salesman I have been dealing with, I talked with another salesman who had an 1875. He said 24 volt is plenty. Perry Good was also there and he said 24 volt is enough for this boat. Boy, he is a nice guy. I didn't know he lived locally and fishes Minnetonka often. Maybe I'll bump into him out there sometime. I went with the Yamaha VMax SHO 90. A little more $$ but more oomph and mileage (so they say) than the F90. I talked to a mechanic who services all brands and he said that's the motor to get in 90 hp.

I talked to Scott Petersen at the Minnkota/Humminbird booth and he let me know if I wanted to to I-Pilot link between the Helix 12 and the Ulterra I had to get a specific model of Ulterra. I had planned to buy the less expensive model. He helped me when I upgraded my electronics 4 years ago and really knows those products.

I bought the trolling motors, Helix, 2 Lakemaster Chips and a MinnKota charger from Reed's. They always have better pricing at the shows than the boat dealers. Saved over $600. I'll put that towards other boat equipment.?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

? Whats better than buying a new boat? (nothing lol)

Congrats, I'm sure you will get many years of use out of it. 

I will. Salesman said 5-6 weeks and then some time to rig it. I bought the bow and stern trolling motors and the Helix 12 from Reeds at the show and they were delivered on Tuesday. Reeds always has good discounts at the shows and they treat their customers well.

I remember when I bought my current boat new. The next morning I went out in the garage and could hardly believe it was real. I went with vinyl floor throughout in this boat because 1 or 2 labs will be in the boat a lot.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, Hookmaster said:

I went with the Yamaha VMax SHO 90. A little more $$ but more oomph and mileage (so they say) than the F90. I talked to a mechanic who services all brands and he said that's the motor to get in 90 hp.

Congrats on the boat!  You can't go wrong with a Yamaha.  We've had several that have been very reliable.  We currently have a Merc 150(?) on our Ranger Reata and the alternator has gone out twice in 6 years, so I will go back to a Yamaha next time.

Enjoy!

CJH