• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

JavaGuy

Ruby Lake by Marcell, MN has massive 28-30+ walleyes in the lake. It's a best kept secret. The small landing can only handle 3 trucks or so. If you want to catch massive walleyes, just use a 1/4 oz lindy rig, plain hook, and a leech or crawler. I'm not gonna give you the coordinates, you need to find them.
Good luck,
Java Guy

PRO-V

If it's such a great secret lake and I know it is small, why would you put this info out to the masses?

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~

He's a plant from another site! 🙄

The DNR Lake site says it had 1 crappy and 8 Walleye in their 2006 test net.  I'm on my way!! 🤭

Edited by leech~~

smurfy
1 hour ago, PRO-V said:

If it's such a great secret lake and I know it is small, why would you put this info out to the masses?

There must be # Ruby lakes, the one I was on isn't that small??? The Ruby I was on had a boy scout camp at one time.

Kettle

I fished it once as a child probably 20 years ago and only picked up a few smallies fishing for walleye. It's ridiculously clear. I'm sure it has walleye in it but I definitely didn't catch any 

Bigfatbert
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

There must be # Ruby lakes, the one I was on isn't that small??? The Ruby I was on had a boy scout camp at one time.

That’s the lake !

Bigfatbert
14 minutes ago, Bigfatbert said:

That’s the lake !

I said above that’s the lake that smurfy said had a Boy Scout camp , but the more I thought about it it might have been a Girl Scout camp , I’m going back 35 or so years on my recollection. .

smurfy

Could be, I know it was a scout camp.

PRO-V

Ruby is east of Spider across the county road. It's not very big in my book.

• Thanks 1

smurfy
On 1/19/2020 at 10:34 PM, PRO-V said:

Ruby is east of Spider across the county road. It's not very big in my book.

Could be it's been alit of years ago when I was there. And I mighta had a beer or 6.😉

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Fished a few spots on the Horseshoe  chain this afternoon pretty slow yet surface  water temps were around 35 degrees.  Water levels are up and plenty of bottom content floating in some of the channels and bays. Felt great to get back on some open water and use the long Rods again. 👍Plenty of boats out there running around. 
    • dutchboy II
      By dutchboy II
      With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Really cant wait for some of these Regulations to be put into Place on Some  lakes. Way overdue IMO. Please when these meetings are formed lets all try and make it to some and give some honest quality input. Even if you are against some of the New regulation limit changes  being talked about. We all need to come together and figure out someway to protect our Trophy Panfish. So all of us and future generations can enjoy the future! 

• Mark Jurgensen
      By Mark Jurgensen
      Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Perhaps we should call this the COVID - 19 fishing report.  As you can imagine, some really cool annual traditions with Mother Nature are happening right now around Lake of the Woods.
      With the current times, other than some local anglers fishing in their own backyard where they have private access, things are pretty quiet.  Let's get through this chapter and look ahead as the walleyes are definitely waiting, willing and able!
      As many of you have read, in response to the COVID - 19 situation, the City of Baudette has closed it's two public access points on the Rainy River, Koochiching County has closed their four access points to the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods County has also temporarily closed their access points.  These closures are temporary in nature and are being reviewed often.  Kooch County will review again April 14th which is the last day of the walleye season on LOW and the Rainy River. 
      We want to express our sincere appreciation and thanks for all who come up to the Lake of the Woods area throughout the year.  Our community and small businesses are very tourism focused and dependent.  This is a tough time for many for a variety of reasons.  We look forward to getting this chapter behind us and creating wonderful memories with you again in the near future.  Be safe and thank you.
      On the south end...  Ice conditions this March have held very well.  As mentioned, low amount of traffic due to the times.  Anglers out have been catching big pike as is traditional this time of year as well as walleyes and saugers.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is starting to open with a few local anglers with private access getting on the open water.  As you can imagine, some big walleyes in the river.  The spring walleye season goes through April 14th and will not be available to most this year.  Looking forward to sturgeon season and the MN fishing opener May 9th!
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few locals still ice fishing.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch and an occasional pike or eelpout in the mix.  Looking forward to open water.  

• CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.

I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      First pic is from April 1 2017 in the kayak. Second pic is April 21 2018 on 18 inches of ice. Same lake. Looks like 2020 will be like 2017. 

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      😲 Yowza, what a fatty!  What model Buick was inside???
    • ANYFISH2
      This is not my fish, just wish I could someday catch one like it!! Caught this past ice fishing season, by friends group.  Absolute slob 45" long 27" girth. I did not ask to post the guys likeness so covered his face.  Congrats to him though.  
    • ANYFISH2
      Rick G, we still had snow on the ground in the woods last week so I think it kept the ground cool enough.  Our season has been odd, a couple great days separated by many very poor days.  We are pushing 400 gallons of sap so far usually get 600-650 yearly.  Temps look good end of next week, hopefully the trees stay sweet.  No budding yet and syrup is still light in color so we should have some time still.
    • PRO-V
      A hunk of uncooked lasagna noodle attracts them well also in a trap.
    • smalliehunter
      no length, no weight.  Thought I had caught a new state record smallmouth lol.  Have never caught another northern or any other type of fish other than smallmouth off that spot still to this day.
    • Rick G
      Anyfish.... your lucky you sapping season is still going. Ours here in St Cloud area dried up by last wed.... my taps are still in, but its all over.  One of the shortest sapping seasons I have ever seen. 
    • Rick G
      Like icehawk said, dog food works well, i would put it in cheesecloth or an old sock w someholes in it to keep it all from washing away too quickly. Those small barrel type traps can be very effectife if you have a good size population of minnows in your creek. 
    • Wanderer
      That sounds pretty efficient!  When I was growing up we’d seine a creek too to get the smaller minnows.  A little later we had a cabin on a river in northern MN and would catch creek chubs like @Kettle mentioned.  We’d have two rods with; one for chubs and one for rigging the chubs for bigger fish.  A grasshopper or worm from an overturned log would start the show.   These days you have to be careful about transportation of bait between waters though.  Bait dealers have to trap under permit to be VHS free.  Be sure of the regs wherever you’re trapping and fishing.   The good ol days were good!
    • Rick G
      Well, I made it out for a little bit today.  Still was a fair size sheet of ice floating around on the main lake yet, not too bad considering 90% of this lake was still covered this last thursday.Water temp was 39 out there. I headed back into a small bay out of the wind.  Water temp was 48 in the furthest back corner, this is where I found a few bluegill hiding.  Size definitely was not what I was looking for, but sometimes it isn't always about catching the big'uns😊 I found myself content just to be back out casting the long rod...a few fish pulling on the line was an added bonus😏 Better days of catching are right around the corner
    • IceHawk
      Austin small minnow traps baited with some small dogfood or bread pieces. Toss in creeks deeper pools in backwaters especially off rivers. Leeches crushed coffee cans baited with beef spleens or liver,  pull real early before first light before leeches escape. Just make sure there not blood suckers and good leeches  Crawlers I get most of mine after a good hard rain on a couple back blacktop roads that are loaded doesn't take long. Be setup for bait for a while even if bait stores are closed . 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.