• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer: What if the lockers quit venison handling?

Paradice

CWD, big topic as of late.  What is the fate of the sport in MN if the pressure gets too high on processors?  I'm talking specifically about... 

A.  The cost of special carcass disposal fees imposed by either DNR or refuse haulers. 

B.  The potential lost sales over public concerns for CWD cross contamination in machinery.

"I refuse to buy pork and beef from venison handling shops."  

• Wow, ❤ 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

never know where it will go in the future.  but if I cant get sausage made will do it myself. if people wont buy p and b from places that do then that business will decide. to me its a big nothing burger.  had to wait 4 weeks this year to find out test results. no way would I have thrown it all way if positive. family wouldn't eat it but I would. 

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

The two things that have not been proven or may ever will.

1) That it effects humans when consumed.

2) That there has always been some degree of CWD in the herd all over this country! 

Either way I'm eating Venison until I die!   PETA is loving the meat eaters implosion on this!  ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The two things that have not been proven or may ever will.

1) That it effects humans when consumed.

2) That there has always been some degree of CWD in the herd all over this country! 

Either way I'm eating Venison until I die!   PETA is loving the meat eaters implosion on this!  ?

The blood bank still asks if I have spent much time in UK or Europe.   

Mad Cow had like a decade long incubation time before those susceptible got sick.    

So far CWD hasn't been shown to infect humans.  Other Prion disease do.   

Now you get an idea why I am so anti Deer Farms.   Once the wild herd is contaminated, that's the end for many people.    

https://www.wiscontext.org/chronic-wasting-disease-wisconsins-deer

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paradice said:

CWD, big topic as of late.  What is the fate of the sport in MN if the pressure gets too high on processors?  I'm talking specifically about... 

A.  The cost of special carcass disposal fees imposed by either DNR or refuse haulers. 

B.  The potential lost sales over public concerns for CWD cross contamination in machinery.

"I refuse to buy pork and beef from venison handling shops."  

So how many places do you know that don't do venison?? Just asking cause I'm really curious. I personally don't know of any 

• Thanks 1

Manaes quit a few years ago here in Sauk rapids. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Didn't know that, but then there east of the sippi, they get wierd that side of the river ?? I know they used to do a mean smoked turkey.

Edited by smurfy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I'm wondering if that has to do more with their larger scale processing, packaging and expansion and not dealing with it like the smaller custom shops do? 

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I'm wondering if that has to do more with their larger scale processing, packaging and expansion and not dealing with it like the smaller custom shops do? 

I think they only have the one place so I don't think there that big?? Not real sure though.

Good size operation, just didn't want all the hassles of the deer processing was my understanding when I asked. Great people there. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My brother in law is an asst mgr at Von Hanson's in Brainerd, MN.  He said that the new CWD rules for processors in the "hot zone" ultimately made them raise their prices to cover the new costs this season.  In the past, they could simply put all the trimmings and unedible parts into a roll out dumpster to haul away to the nearest landfill.  This year however, it had to be a specialized, lined dumpster (with a cover) and it had to go to an incinerator.  I asked him if he thought the increase prices affected their business and he said he didn't think it did during firearms season.  He did say that there was a major drop off in the number of deer being brought in outside of firearms hunting (archery and muzzle loader).  They only received ONE deer during the entire 16 day muzzle loader season to be processed.

• Thanks 1

Probably had to wait cuz it takes so long to get results back

Zero positive up there from what I see. So why the dumpster?

2CDAC67A-9D49-4B18-9C3C-C730CFC210A7.png

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • l Love It 2

We took a few loads to the Crow Wing dump this summer and they had made a big area with signs and lines of dumpsters just for Deer hides and byproducts.  This whole mass hysteria is going to cost us all a lot of money and may be our sport.

PETA has got to be spiking the ball on this touchdown!  ☹️

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Zero positive up there from what I see. So why the dumpster?

I believe that was in response to the deer farm in Merrifield, just outside of Brainerd. One wild deer was found with CWD. 7 deer inside the farm tested positive.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:49 PM, smurfy said:

So how many places do you know that don't do venison?? Just asking cause I'm really curious. I personally don't know of any 

I don't have specific names, but heard about the market for this service tightening with half measures so far.  

"This is the last year"

"Deboned meat only" 

Don't take my word for it.  I'd simply ask one or two shops in your area and see what the response is.  I personally don't use processors at all, so I don't have any contacts.  Logic would dictate that these guys get the same level of scrutiny that taxidermists should be getting.  You can't control CWD if you don't control the remains at processors and taxidermists.  Prions are in about every tissue and fluid on the whitetail deer.  They live, the disease lives.  

It's either science or it isn't.  People have to decide. 

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article/researchers-find-cwd-proteins-deer-semen 

• Thanks 1

The butcher shop I take my venison to gas been deboned meat only for alit of years. Even before CWD was a hot topic.

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

All this CWD stuff going on makes you wonder. Eventually more shops may get out of venison processing or for sure will raise rates with all the rules and regulations comeing I"m sure. This is why I only use certain meat shops. In my area I use Shrupps and Tessmer meats. Both of these shops do your own trimmings individually takes some time to get it back but worth the wait as you know what your getting. I've seen some of the ways certain people butcher there deer and what they throw in there trimmings buckets WOW not going to have my clean well taken care of venison mixed in with some of that stuff. Learned years ago that any wild game or fish is only as good as how you handle it clean and process it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I'm a plantenbergs guy and never been disappointed. How's the weather holding out up there. I'm looking for a reason to start happy hour at home early today.?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I'm a plantenbergs guy and never been disappointed. How's the weather holding out up there. I'm looking for a reason to start happy hour at home early today.?

my HH will be at home too!!!  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

What took you guys so long to start happy hour. ??

• Confused 1
  • Yayyyy 1

6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

What took you guys so long to start happy hour. ??

this darn thing called a job!!!!!!!!!!?

• Yayyyy 1

20 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

you said you were home so BS!!!!  ??

yea I got home at 2;15 pm!!!!!!!!!?

I expect the processors to back out quickly if any additional heat comes their way.  I grow some hobby pigs on my farm (8 per year) and I have been butchering them myself the past few years, but my help is starting to peter out (they don't vanish when it's time to eat it though).  I called around to see about getting my pigs in to have the pros do them, and I was told I'd have to schedule their slaughter before they were born.  They were that busy.  

I don't think the deer business is about money.  It seems it's more a customer retention thing.  

• Wow, ❤ 1

that sure is a long ways out!!!  never used to be that way...   I know some places are cutting back on slaughter too...  what part of the state are you at???