Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Strib - Sportmen's Show on Collission Course with DNR


Recommended Posts

On The Four Outdoorsman Show this past Sunday, the guest DNR Spokesperson indicated the transport ban was due to a hobbyist deer farmer who experienced CWD in their herd.  This hobbyist did not keep records of deer transports, trades, buys, sells, etc.. and that the ban was necessary in order to assemble clear records needed to track possible source farms as well as receiving farms.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
delcecchi
43 minutes ago, Hoey said:

On The Four Outdoorsman Show this past Sunday, the guest DNR Spokesperson indicated the transport ban was due to a hobbyist deer farmer who experienced CWD in their herd.  This hobbyist did not keep records of deer transports, trades, buys, sells, etc.. and that the ban was necessary in order to assemble clear records needed to track possible source farms as well as receiving farms.  

 

Ag department vrs DNR in a battle royale over jurisdiction.    Is "Hobbyist deer farmer" a tax dodge or some other sort of dodge?   I guess I could be a hobbyist apple orchard?  Does that get me a tax break?   

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We really need to get past the deer farm issue.  My understanding is that a third of the farms out there have already chosen to shut down.  I'm guessing those are more the hobby farms so far.  This focus on less than 1% of deer in MN is not helping with the other 99% of the animals on the landscape that also carry the disease and the tens of thousands of people that haul deer back and forth from CWD zones in MN, WI, and IA.  Enforcement and liability needs to also be hung on people that hunt CWD zones.    

 

Hunters from all over the US help shoot 32,000 deer/year in the big four CWD counties in Wisconsin. 

 

https://www.qdma.com/this-cwd-map-spells-trouble-future-deer-hunting/

 

Lots of positive deer parts have been hauled out of the over the years, and spread all over the continent.  The early Winona CWD buck was traced back to a taxidermist that handled a deer brought home from the big 4 in SW WI.    There should be a $2500 fine for anyone caught moving deer out of those counties and any county with CWD.  The taxidermists should be shut down, and antler mounting banned on deer from CWD counties.  It would end the taxidermist-movement issues right now.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
delcecchi

https://www.twincities.com/2020/01/10/cwd-infected-douglas-county-deer-traced-to-pine-county-farm/

 

Investigators have traced a deer on a Douglas County farm that was infected with chronic wasting disease to a farm in Pine County that supplied the animal, the Minnesota Board of Animal Health said Friday.

 

A doe on the Pine County farm that tested positive has been put down and the eight other deer still alive there will be destroyed, board spokesman Michael Crusan said. The herd owner is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on compensation.

Both deer that were living on the Douglas County farm were killed earlier to stop the spread of the fatal brain disease. Both farms must fence off their deer pens to keep wild deer out and keep biohazard signs posted around them for five years.

The board is still investigating whether other deer from the Pine County farm have been transferred to other farms. In response to the Douglas County discovery, the state last month temporarily banned the movement of all farmed white-tailed deer within Minnesota.

Chronic wasting disease is caused by a prion, an abnormal protein that can persist in the environment for years. It’s not known to infect humans, but it’s fatal to deer and elk, and authorities advise against eating infected meat.

-----------------------------------------------------

Isn't the farmer dude supposed to keep accurate records of transfers of deer to other people?   And of any animals that die?   

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.