• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

SkunkedAgain
Posted (edited)

Xplorer mentioned his Ritz cracker frying recipe in the DNR thread, so I'm starting a new off-season thread. Toss out your favorite Minnesota fish recipes. Here is one that I probably got from this forum years ago that I've enjoyed:

POOR MAN'S LOBSTER

Northern Pike filets (y-bones removed), cut into bite-sized pieces

(1) 2-liter bottle of 7-Up or Sprite

(1/2) stick of butter

(3) cloves of garlic or more

1.  Mince garlic and set aside

2.  Filet and remove y-bones from northern pike. Cut into bite-size pieces

3.  Place northern into a large pot, pouring enough 7-up/Sprite to cover the filets

4.  Bring fish/soda mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until filets are opaque and flaky

5.  While filets are cooking, place butter and garlic in sauce pan on medium. Cook until fish is done

6.  Drain soda from pot and remove filets

7.  Pour garlic butter into dipping bowl. Dip filets into garlic butter and forget about your diet

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

Mike89

that is good eats, but I prefer Mt Dew...   tried both of them...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

eyeguy 54

peanut oil, deep fryer. Louisiana crispy fish fry mixed with cajon shore lunch. fish into a zip lock baggie with breading mix. shake. lay on pate to set up.  into oil at 375. mmmm.  gotta dip in butter at times for sure. wifey likes tarter sauce. gills for supper tonight. 

• Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

will have to try the boil thing sometime. boiled up some bass a few years ago and smelled just like lobster! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Xplorer

We used to do the fish boil (using both 7up and Dew depending on who was cooking) with lake trout on our trips up to Atikokan, Ontario. Every trip we’d do one lunch of boiled lake trout on the ice.  It was awesome!!!

Here is a marinade recipe I got from a guy in Alaska.  It was for halibut, but I have used it for local lake trout and salmon with great results. 

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

Add garlic salt, onion salt (or powders) to taste. 

Marinade overnight. I use a gallon zippie for this usually.  

I put the chunks on the grill on a piece of tin foil to minimize the mess on the grates. The marinade can make a sticky mess.  

• Thumbs Up 3

leech~~

I tried the Poor man's lobster deal on Pout, it was ok but a bit to sweet for me.  I like just a good buttery, garlic flavor more.  😋

• Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Agreed leech.

This is a good start. Anyone have any tasty alternatives or favorites for panfish?

How about some favorite pike pickling recipes?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Take your walleye fillets and lay them on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil. 

Brush them liberally with melted butter. Add Salt and Pepper and Italian Seasoning. 

Thinly slice jalapenos and add them to the top of the fillets. 

Bake until just about done, then cover fillets with Shredded Parmesan Cheese and broil for a few minutes until cheese has melted and browned a little.  

Squirt with a little lemon juice and eat. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Homemade Tartar:

Take a few dollops of Mayo and some finely chopped red onion and pickles and mix them up.  Then dribble in a little pickle juice,  a few drops of Worcestershire, and a squeeze of Sriracha. Then add a liberal amount of dill seasoning. 

I eyeball it, so I have no idea on measurements.  Just add pickle juice until you get the mayo to the right consistency and add the other stuff as you see fit.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk
1 hour ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Homemade Tartar:

Take a few dollops of Mayo and some finely chopped red onion and pickles and mix them up.  Then dribble in a little pickle juice,  a few drops of Worcestershire, and a squeeze of Sriracha. Then add a liberal amount of dill seasoning. 

I eyeball it, so I have no idea on measurements.  Just add pickle juice until you get the mayo to the right consistency and add the other stuff as you see fit.  

Pretty much what we do but add some yellow mustard and a little ground horseradish minus the siracha but will add it next time. Great topics everyone has a favorite fish recipie and maybe we can all get some ideas

For panfish Chef Roberts for me fried in peanut oil or if I have more time saltines ground up in blender fish dipped in milk rolled in cracker coating and fried. If nice out I grill my walleye fillets.  Leave the skin on fillet scrub real good cot with olive oil and season and lay on grill.. When done just lay on a plate and eat the meat off the fillet gets a rela nice mellow smoke taste. And the fillet will not flare up if you keep the flam down. 

• Thanks 1

delcecchi
1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Pretty much what we do but add some yellow mustard and a little ground horseradish minus the siracha but will add it next time. Great topics everyone has a favorite fish recipie and maybe we can all get some ideas

For panfish Chef Roberts for me fried in peanut oil or if I have more time saltines ground up in blender fish dipped in milk rolled in cracker coating and fried. If nice out I grill my walleye fillets.  Leave the skin on fillet scrub real good cot with olive oil and season and lay on grill.. When done just lay on a plate and eat the meat off the fillet gets a rela nice mellow smoke taste. And the fillet will not flare up if you keep the flam down. 

I think you can buy cracker meal, aka pre ground saltines...

cracker2.thumb.jpg.2633dc22f70632b81d9821c6223c9ef6.jpgcracker.jpg.6a56f5fc229b325d99341b989e34fccc.jpg

• Haha 1

Skibo

I wasn't aware of the cracker meal.  I'll have to get some to see how it is.  Here's our family's fish batter recipe

Walleye Batter-Seasoning Recipe

Equal Parts:
        Lawry's
        Garlic Powder
        Onion Powder
        White Pepper
        Black Pepper
1/2 Part:
        Cayenne Pepper

Mix 1 tablespoon seasoning with 1 sleeve finely crushed saltine crackers.  1 sleeve per 4-6 fish.  Dip dry fillets in egg white (don't use the yolks - they burn too easily), and coat with seasoned crackers.  Fry to golden brown.

I have been grinding the saltines in a food processor, which is way easier than our old method of using a rolling pin and a ziplock bag!

Edited by Skibo
  • Like 1

Skibo

One more recipe.  If you've been to Flag Island Resort in the NW Angle in the last 20 years, you've maybe had Dan Schmidt's Walleye Fritters.  They are a real treat after a day on the lake.  Great with the after-fishing cocktail.  And, a great way to use up a bunch of fish when you're worried about your possession limits! :)

Walleye Fritters

2 cups flour
1 tsp Paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper 
3 tsp baking powder
Mix with beer to bread like dough consistency

Mix in onions
Green pepper
Hash browns
Shredded coconut

Cut fish into smaller bite size chunks (shooter marble size) and use just enough of this batter to hold fish and other ingredients together.  Oil fry to golden brown.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

delcecchi
17 minutes ago, Skibo said:

I wasn't aware of the cracker meal.  I'll have to get some to see how it is.  Here's our family's fish batter recipe

Walleye Batter-Seasoning Recipe

Equal Parts:
        Lawry's
        Garlic Powder
        Onion Powder
        White Pepper
        Black Pepper
1/2 Part:
        Cayenne Pepper

Mix 1 tablespoon seasoning with 1 sleeve finely crushed saltine crackers.  1 sleeve per 4-6 fish.  Dip dry fillets in egg white (don't use the yolks - they burn too easily), and coat with seasoned crackers.  Fry to golden brown.

I have been grinding the saltines in a food processor, which is way easier than our old method of using a rolling pin and a ziplock bag!

I think cracker meal is a southern Thang, or since Goya does it too, also a Mexican thang

• Haha 1

huntnfish
2 hours ago, Skibo said:

One more recipe.  If you've been to Flag Island Resort in the NW Angle in the last 20 years, you've maybe had Dan Schmidt's Walleye Fritters.  They are a real treat after a day on the lake.  Great with the after-fishing cocktail.  And, a great way to use up a bunch of fish when you're worried about your possession limits! :)

Walleye Fritters

2 cups flour
1 tsp Paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper 
3 tsp baking powder
Mix with beer to bread like dough consistency

Mix in onions
Green pepper
Hash browns
Shredded coconut

Cut fish into smaller bite size chunks (shooter marble size) and use just enough of this batter to hold fish and other ingredients together.  Oil fry to golden brown.

I’ve never been to the NW Angle but I went to a fish fry last summer and the guy cooking make some walleye fritters and they were amazing! He didn’t use flour when he made his. He said he always just uses whatever fish breading he has for the fish he’s cooking. Plus no hash browns or coconut. I will be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Sculpin

Kellogg's cornflake crumbs also makes a nice addition to any coating, if you want your fillets nice and crispy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1