• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Dave S

Went out to Sugar this afternoon. First time on the lake so I wasn't expecting much. Good thing. Had one school move through that covered the water column from 4 feet down to 15 feet (20 feet of water). It took a good couple of minutes for them to clear but nothing was interested in biting. 

The ice was about 8" with the top 1-2" being the refreeze from the rain. Several ATVs and a SXS or two made their way across the lake easily with no snow pack.

This one might be a fun one to try once spring rolls around and I can get the 'yak out.

• Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

Could’ve been a school of baby tullibee? In which case, the predators in the lake will have lots to eat. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

teal50

Another possibility is large schools of large shiners moving through. Have had this a couple of times on other lakes.

IceHawk
11 hours ago, teal50 said:

Another possibility is large schools of large shiners moving through. Have had this a couple of times on other lakes.

We see this a lot fishing the Horseshoe chain schools of shiners. Can be kind of frustrateing but once you figure out what to look for on your electronics its a little more foregiving. Plus side is where there's baitfish especially shiners there tends to be predators following especially old marble eyes 😉

• Thumbs Up 2

Rick G

Sugar... more than likely schools of tiny perch. Used to see it quite a bit when I fished out there. That lake can be a tough one during hard water season due to the water being so clear. Always had my best luck for walleyes at low light or after dark. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Borch

Late ice the slab crappies and gills move up into the reeds.  Some real tanks in the lake.   Just be aware the crappie limit is 5.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54
9 hours ago, Borch said:

Late ice the slab crappies and gills move up into the reeds.  Some real tanks in the lake.   Just be aware the crappie limit is 5.

I found that out last year when I took 8.  On my birthday all by myself. Kept 8 crappie and 8 gills for a couple nice meals.  $190 mistake!  Bad brain f art. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 1

leech~~
6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I found that out last year when I took 8.  On my birthday all by myself. Kept 8 crappie and 8 gills for a couple nice meals.  $190 mistake!  Bad brain f art. 

image.png.29e57e78c8ca89b446214208347def76.png

Tom Sawyer
7 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

OUCH

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      For Current Bowsting Lake Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics too!

we did good yesturday morning. dragging 1/16 oz jig with minnow on the bottom worked best. 15 1/2 to 20. And a few bonus perch. Didnt get there for the openner but heard great reports. Gonna go after some panfish up there maybe Tuesday. 

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54

graphed a lot of crappies on bowstring but zero caught ! !  maybe in a week. got 4 bass, 10 northern and a few of those pesky eyes. 

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54

Got up to Bowstring again at Geigers Trails End Resort. Went up to get some crappies nd found them but again could not get one to bite out deep.  One spot they were 7 feet thick ! LOL   So we chased perch and did great. No 12 inchers but a lot of dandies. Not sure if I will get back up before ice.  Crappies should be great this winter.  

• ldbbeck
      By ldbbeck

What kind of ice conditions Friday 1/12/18. Would like to use public access of 35 North east side closest to hwy 6.

• MNCrappiehunter23
      By MNCrappiehunter23

Hey guys! New to the site. A buddy of mine and I will be heading to bowstring this coming weekend. Neither of us have fished it before. We plan on going out of trails end with a wheel house. The guy at trails end said perch and crappies are being caught.  Any tips or suggestions as to where to look or depths? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54

Got up there to fish and had a nice trip. Crappies and eyes were both cooperating. Eyes on the bars and humps dragging crawlers. Marked lottsa fish.  Spent most of our time in 14 to 16 feet.  Found crappies in a couple spots and one was really full of fish. 8 to 9 feet we just used 4mm widowmakers ice jigs and gulp minnows mostly, dropped fat head minnows one spot and they smaked them hard. Was interesting how one time chartreuse was great, next time emerald shiner in the gulp. Ate a few up there and brought a few home. Released lots of happy fish. Nabbed a few nice gills in one spot. They were right on the bottom in one of the crappie spots where the crappies were 2 feet up from bottom. 

By Guest
      For current Bowstring Fishing reports - Click Here.

Show us your pics.

i am going to bowstring lake on sunday aug. 1 for a week. i am staying at snug harbor. this is my 1st trip to the lake.looking to fish for walleyes.any help on areas to try,or bait to use this time of year.lindys or jigs or depth of water.thanks in advance. dale
    • Deerstalker
      By Deerstalker
      I'm guessing Shagawa has made good ice. Anyone ventured out yet?
    • iowamatt54
      By iowamatt54
      If you're looking for Current Rush Lake by Rush City Fishing Reports - Click Here. 

Let's see your pics and fishing reports here. Post em up.

Well, I'm all but defeated. I'm on vacation on rush lake and have been out everyday trying to catch the elusive eyes with absolutely no luck and am at my wits end. I don't know very much about walleye fishing as I'm from Iowa and just got into it a few years back. I've tried trolling shallow shad raps size 5 and 7 on the north side of the lake in front of the church but the weeds are so thick I can't keep them off the hooks no matter what amount of line I have out. I tried trolling them on the south side of the lake and had no luck. Also had some trigger x 3" grubs on 1/8 oz jigs that I tried to troll. That's all I know how to do guys. Oh, and I was trolling at about 2.5 mph in all different times of day. Tried going out at night once but don't know enough as to what to do to make any trip productive. I would really appreciate any help. I've been coming to Minnesota for over 5 years now and have still to catch a walleye. What am I doing wrong or not doing at all? I'm here until Saturday and need some pointers. Hopefully you guys aren't as tight lipped as the walleyes have been. I don't want giants just a few decent eaters.
    • Dozer
      By Dozer
      Current Forest Lake-Hinckley-Lindstrom-Pine City-Rush City Fishing Reports - Click Here. 

Let's see your pics and fishing reports here. Post em up.

Where does everyone fish walleyes around here? Just moved here from Alexandria so never been out on any of these lakes. I was thinking either Green or Fannie to start with?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      cold water bass is darn good eats!!!
    • Rick G
      Nice fish Tom.... 😉 You bass stew guys 🤢🤢🤢🤡😂
    • Rick
    • Tom Sawyer
      No doubt, she made my famous savory fish stew.  😋
    • Rick
    • Rick
    • Rick
    • Rick
      If you're planning to head up and need info, let us know. If your coming back, please share your pics and report.
    • Rick
      Mitch Bradshaw Outdoors   Yesterday was our first day out with Ballards Resort. We got out about 12 miles It started really slow for everyone until Mr. Walleye upgraded his fish (21.5") from the day before with a beauty 25.75" suspended Walleye.   The bite started to pick up and in about 30 mins I caught my personal best Eelpout and Walleye (28.5"). One more day to fish up here and to see who goes home with the Manley Cup and the coveted 2020 Mr. Walleye title.
    • Rick
      Anglers are finding fishing to be inconsistent with the bite varying greatly. Snowmobile, ski and snowshoe trails are all in excellent shape! Even before the snow we received last night the snowmobile trails were in great shape. With more snow forecast tonight and this weekend it should only get better! In Voyageurs National Park most snowmobile trails are open and staked. We have been getting numerous riders coming through saying the trails are fantastic! The few that have gone on the Chain of Lakes trail and up to Kettle Falls reported awesome riding conditions. Throughout the area there are still lots of slushy areas with more wet spots showing up. For the most part, the snow has firmed up nicely which is keeping riders from having issues with these areas, but the park service still advises caution when traveling off the trail. All trails beyond the park are groomed and in excellent shape with groomers are out daily. The ice road has not been plowed and all indications are that it won’t happen this week. All ski trails are packed and tracked with the exception of the Kab/Ash trail. All snowshoe trails are open. Fishing has been extremely inconsistent. It’s been frustrating for anglers as they are marking fish but just not biting. Reports are all over the map. When the fish are active it’s been in depths from 18-35 ft. Edges of reefs and shoreline points as well as deeper water over soft bottom are seeing some activity. Bigger walleyes still seem to be the majority of fish caught with a few smaller ones as well as the occasional perch and northern pike mixed in. Many anglers are reporting water coming up and flooding areas around their house after drilling holes. With the snow we just received and more on the way it’s going to get interesting. Lake travel is not advised with the exception of snowmobiles and track machines. Fortunately, here in Voyageurs National Park fishing isn’t the only thing to do! There are plenty of activities to keep you busy. Check out the Voyageurs National Park as well as the Kabetogama Lake Association’s website and Facebook pages for area updates and activities. You can also call or stop in at Gateway as we have snowmobile trail and lake maps to help point you in the right direction! As always, be safe, enjoy yourself and we’ll see you soon! Gateway