• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Rovmike

Looking at smallmouth fishing trip.

Rovmike

I’m from southwest Arkansas looking at making a trip to Minnesota for a smallmouth fishing trip with my son. The rivers we have here are easily fished by wading, most of our rivers that hold smallmouth are too shallow for anything other than kayak or canoe.  My question is can your rivers be fished by wading? Seems like most of the videos I see are either kayak or small boat. 

Rick

You can wade the Root River in SE MN or the Cannon River in spots. On the Cannon you can rent a canoe in Cannon Falls and drop it off in Welch. Both are easier to fish long stretches via Canoe. 

The Root is easier to wade...there are deep spots. So time if year and rainfall can make a difference. Lanesboro, MN is a good place to begin your search.

The Mississippi River North of Minneapolis to Brainerd will usually require a boat although there are a lot of good shore fishing spots.

I will let others fill you in on aome of the great streams/rivers for smallies around the state.

Edited by Rick
Corrected to Root River
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

I’ll fill in a bit just to clarify the river in Lanesboro @Rickis speaking of is the Root River.  The Rum River starts at Mille Lacs Lake and empties into the Miss in Anoka.  I’m sure That was just a typo though.  Both are good smallmouth rivers.

You can find wadable stretches of many rivers in MN but with the random nature of access and dealing with stumbling around in rocks and working around deep pools I’d suggest floating in something, even if you did a couple belly boats.  Otherwise there are several places you can rent canoes, kayaks and even motorboats around the state.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thanks 2

Dave S

there is an outfitter in Clearwater MN that rents kayaks and they will also drop you off/pick you up for a fee. I don't recall how much but I think it was pretty reasonable. Awesome smallmouth fishing on that stretch of the Mississippi.

• Thanks 2

Tom Sawyer

smurfy

I know Minnesota bound a couple weeks ago did a segment on the sippi by Monticello where they were wader fishing. and they caught some dandy smallies!!!!!

• Thanks 2

chaffmj

If you want to catch really nice smallies and don't mind fishing from a boat come up to Ely and fish Basswood in the BWCA.

DSC01275-2.jpg

DSC01274-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi

Or Mille Lacs for a little shorter drive... although not as scenic.

• Thanks 1

jigginjim
7 hours ago, Rovmike said:

I’m from southwest Arkansas looking at making a trip to Minnesota for a smallmouth fishing trip with my son. The rivers we have here are easily fished by wading, most of our rivers that hold smallmouth are too shallow for anything other than kayak or canoe.  My question is can your rivers be fished by wading? Seems like most of the videos I see are either kayak or small boat. 

When are you thinking of doing your fishing trip?  As said before there are many places to catch smallmouth bass.  Sometime timing is a major key, early june I have had 100 plus fish mornings. in the winter time it is much slower, having to do more live bait or be very patient with a fly and wading. Kayaks work great but on many areas, there again timing is your key.

• Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

Are you flexible for any part of the state?  With the right water levels areas close to St Cloud can be sweet for wading. 

• Thanks 1