• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Large DNR presence at Beacon Harbor...

Did any of you notice how often the DNR visited your fish houses last week?  We were up at Beacon Harbor for three days and each day a DNR officer visited us.  One guy really interrigated us and after checking our licenses moved on.  The next day was just a check for licenses, and the third day someone new came by again.  Isn't that rediculas?  Why am I treated like a guy who is guilty until proven innocent?  And the laws regarding eating on the ice aren't so clear cut according to them either.  Heaven forbid if you clean your fish at the resort then bring them out to your shack to cook them.  Why does it have to be so complicated?

• Wow, ❤ 2

I would guess that ice fishing on Red is a special case.    Perhaps they have reason to believe that there could be an issue with violations if the fishing is good since the limit is 4 with only one over 17.    And don't the ones you eat on the ice still count somehow?    

Although, this is a Vermilion forum, still an interesting topic.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mtheis said:

Is there a rule like this on Lake Vermilion?

yes , it’s would be a statewide rule .

First off, I'm not a DNR CO but am an active fisherman/conservationist who tries to always follow the rules.  And, the rules are pretty clear if you read the MN regulations.  There is a Daily Limit and Possession Limit.  I have attached the 2019 MN Fishing Rules.  Page 13 has "Daily and possession limits", and page 22 has "Inland Seasons and Limits".  What most people forget or ignore is the Possession Limit rule.  If you have a total of 6 walleyes in your possession in any location (Possession page 33), which is the statewide Possession Limit, (live well, fish house, on the ice, house freezer, camp refrigerator, cabin freezer, fish bag at the dock) you are not allowed to actively target walleye for catching, and you have no Daily Limit available.  If you catch your Daily Limit of ?? walleyes for the lake you're fishing (4 for Vermilion), you cannot actively target or keep any additional walleyes (culling is prohibited).  This means that you cannot catch four and eat four, and then go out and catch more in the same day (midnight to midnight).  You can eat all of your fish on the lake, but you can't catch more the same day and I would definitely dispose of the entrails of the fish you caught and ate.  Important note is that you cannot dispose of "fish parts" on the ice or into any public waters, page 37.  The important thing is to not take my word for this, but you should read the rules and regulations that you're governed by when fishing MN public waters.

MN Fishing Regs 2019.pdf

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

So, with the proliferation of wheelhouses that have cooking facilities, DNR is likely concerned about the catch, eat for a meal, throw carcass down hole or otherwise dispose of,  perhaps several times.  Oh and keep a limit to take home.    

This particularly would be an issue on places like Mille Lacs and Red that are very popular and have closely watched harvest limits.  

I think a lot of folks don't realize about the possession limit, which really makes the daily limit redundant for some species.   Possession used to be typically 2x daily but not anymore.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Your misunderstanding me.  Let me rephrase so your not preaching to me again.  What I should have asked was, on Lake Vermilion, am I allowed to eat my fish on the ice in my sleeper?  I thought only some lakes in MN had that rule?

Not preaching - the rules are all in black and white in the MN Regs which are available anywhere they sell licenses, and on the Internet.  The advice you get anywhere else for free is worth exactly what you pay for it.  That's why I try to quote and use the actual rules, not what I think or may have heard.  Here is an article from fishingminnesota.com.  There are special regulations for some lakes about keeping/eating any fish.  All of those special rules and the rules about ice houses are in the fishing regs that I attached in my last post.  https://fishingminnesota.com/know-your-fish-cleaning-and-possession-rules-in-a-sleeper-fish-house/

• Thumbs Up 2

If you catch fish and eat them that day, they count toward your limit that day, but not the next day.  The difficulty would be to prove that you caught them the previous day if the carcasses were still in your house.

Regarding "targeting" fish when you already have your limit, I found nothing in the regulation book banning continuing to fish for sport if you already have your limit.  Culling is obviously banned as stated in the regulations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Catch a limit and it’s release time. Not that tough to understand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, mtheis said:

Your misunderstanding me.  Let me rephrase so your not preaching to me again.  What I should have asked was, on Lake Vermilion, am I allowed to eat my fish on the ice in my sleeper?  I thought only some lakes in MN had that rule?

All lakes in MN have the same rules regarding possession and consumption while on the ice, no matter what shelter you have or don’t have.

If you have fillets or carcasses from yesterday’s fish in your possession, you cannot keep any additional fish beyond your daily limit until those fillets are consumed and the carcasses disposed of.  

Sounds like where your disagreement lies is considering the fillets from yesterday’s catch as just groceries meant for today.  It just doesn’t work that way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

The question mtheis had was if you clean your fish from the previous day at the resort (off the ice) then bring them to your fish house to eat the next day.  Those fish (fillets) would count toward your possession limit (same as the daily limit) until consumed.  In addition, if the lake you are fishing on has special length regulations (Red Lake and Vermilion included) "the angler must maintain the carcass of a fish with size limits in such a way that the carcass may be readily unpacked, unwrapped, and separated so that the carcass may be examined, measured, and counted to ensure compliance with size restrictions for that day, as defined under Minnesota Statutes, section 645.45."  Retaining the carcass may be the rule that gets people in trouble.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for all your replies.  When I was on Red Lake the resort owner warned everyone to NOT bring their fish into shore, clean their fish (to avoid the mess and smell of the remains), and then bring their catch back to their sleeper to cook them up. These guys did not bring the remains back to their fishhouse.  Because the fish didn't have a "patch" on their fillets the DNR said they were improperly transported.  The DNR said that the fish had to be CLEANED and EATEN at the sleeper house so they could be checked by an officer later.  Then before midnight, they could bring the remains BACK to shore to dispose of them So they could legally fish the next day.  The DNR officer ticketed the individuals and took possession of their fish.  Whatever you may think, do you really think that most of us who are paying big bucks to stay on the lake are going to STOP fishing after we have eaten our limit?  Really?  And then at midnight, put our rattle reels back down again to start a new day?  I'm old.  Been fishing all my life.  But some rules that are written make most of us criminals who are not trying to be.  I have always hated it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I get it.  I have over 40 years on the ice myself.  Lots of things have changed in the ways we fish and the pressure we put on the resource.  The new laws are an effort reduce that pressure but I agree it’s an uphill battle.  

But in the end, spending big bucks on anything doesn’t give us special privileges over the law.  Most people are doing as you speak without realizing the infraction.  I didn’t know All the further details you mentioned either but I don’t usually fish in a way that I need to worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
49 minutes ago, mtheis said:

The DNR said that the fish had to be CLEANED and EATEN at the sleeper house so they could be checked by an officer later. 

So this only applies if your staying in a Resort sleeper?  What if like me you stay at a Resort or Motel but fish out of a porty and have no means to cook fish on the lake, but would like to eat them that night in your resort or motel room when it has a kitchenette in it? 

Just say it's only your first day fishing when you get checked? I can see that would make most of us criminals who are not trying to be, like you say.

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

The DNR is stating that if you eat fish IN your fish house, you must have the carcass there to prove the type and size of the fish.  You can remove whole fish from the lake (within the limits and size requirements) and clean them and eat them wherever you are staying on land.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the "Leech" scenerio happens all the time because none of us want to clean the fish at our hotel room.  Why is it that I feel I am always looking over my shoulder when I take fish from a lake now.  Further, if we have a couple of walleyes sitting at home in the freezer, do you really think that most fisherman are NOT going to catch their limits up NORTH and bring those home too?  There has to be allowances made so that we are not all criminals when we fish.  Common sense regulations should be discussed by us and the DNR so that it is easier for all of us to enjoy our resources.  How many of us STOP fishing when we have caught our limit?  If I don't cull...I am not stopping until the day is done and I have enjoyed myself.  The end result will be I will have my day in court I guess!

My children are grown, but I purchase a husband and wife license.  I think it's the smart move for a guy like me who likes the taste of a walleye or two during the weeks when I can't get out.  With a vacuum packer walleye caught in August taste good in November.  With a venison medallion on the side along with garlic toast and a cold beer...man that's living.

Edited by mtheis
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

I might also note that the no culling regulation creates a dilemma for those who continue to fish after having their limit, should they catch an otherwise legal fish that clearly isn't going to make it.    They can release it anyway and feed the gulls which is a waste, or they can release a healthy fish from the live well and keep the injured one which is unlawful culling....

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I might also note that the no culling regulation creates a dilemma for those who continue to fish after having their limit, should they catch an otherwise legal fish that clearly isn't going to make it.    They can release it anyway and feed the gulls which is a waste, or they can release a healthy fish from the live well and keep the injured one which is unlawful culling....

Maybe I am wrong here, but by definition, every fish you catch after you keep your limit is a violation (you have limit + 1).   Could have sworn that was what a DNR Officer told me a few years back.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

CJH-  Once you are in possession of a limit you technically cannot continue to fish for that species, but you can certainly continue to fish for other species.  You are not breaking the law by catching a species you are not "trying" to catch, and immediately releasing it back to the water.  In your theory if I am fishing for walleyes and catch a sturgeon, that is out of season, I would be illegal for catching the fish, but I have no way to determine what type of fish bites on my line.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, ozzie said:

CJH-  Once you are in possession of a limit you technically cannot continue to fish for that species, but you can certainly continue to fish for other species.  You are not breaking the law by catching a species you are not "trying" to catch, and immediately releasing it back to the water.  In your theory if I am fishing for walleyes and catch a sturgeon, that is out of season, I would be illegal for catching the fish, but I have no way to determine what type of fish bites on my line.

I agree, however I was referencing targeting the same species, IE catching a limit of Walleye and continuing to fish for Walleye.  Also you cannot for example claim to be fishing for bluegill using a walleye size lure and bait in the same spot you were fishing for walleye.  Again, this is just my understanding bases on previously speaking with DNR Officers in the past.  If that is incorrect, please correct me.  

Generally when I catch my limit I either stop fishing or switch to a different species completely and switch up my location and tactics.

Edited by CJH
  • Thanks 1