• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Robert James Ferdinandt

Auger Bit Adapter Or Dedicated Drill Auger

papadarv
9 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Not sure what model he has out in ND. Drilled plenty in 45 inches of ice. Cleared the shavings every foot. Maybe that was the trick to it not overheating?

Quite sure there is only 1 mud mixer model, 2810. The - 20 is tool only - 22 tool, battery, charger & bag. Milwaukee Rep. was at Home Depot today confirmed only 1 model. No clue why some mixers shut down while others don't shut down. I see post on multi media both ways.

20200116_164444.jpg.52ad2242b200a79d657b0cfed27f7b81.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

IceHawk

A friend I fish with has a mud mixer on his 8 inch k drill. I've  ran it a few times when we are fishing  and it has never cut out on me. Ill have to ask him next time if it ever has happened to him. 

• Thanks 2

Borch

Weird. Usually hear it with the rigid drills or the mud mixers.  No idea why some shutdown frequently and others don't.  Although figured some guys just drill more and faster than others.  Not many push them harder than Icehawk does though.  😁

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

papadarv
12 hours ago, Borch said:

Weird. Usually hear it with the rigid drills or the mud mixers.  No idea why some shutdown frequently and others don't.  Although figured some guys just drill more and faster than others.  Not many push them harder than Icehawk does though.  😁

Faster drilling might be the case. I drill 6 holes in my wheel house 20" ice in less than 4 min. And usually 5 holes in my hub same speed per hole. Mud mixer stops at 3rd or 4th hole. My 2804 fuel hammer drill never stops - drilled 12 consecutive holes testing drill and 9ah battery which dropped 1 battery bar on 12th hole, never hesitated. I have no reason to use Mud Mixer.

• Thanks 1

IceHawk
20 hours ago, Borch said:

Ice trolling for sure. If there is a low oxygen problem in the lake there wont be after I get done.  😁 I guess I like to put my stuff through the test. I can definitely give a honest opinion on quality after a winter of use. If it holds up to some of the abuse I Put it through it gets a thumbs up 👍 No weak links saved here 😂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

AlwaysFishing23

For those who run the drill rigs ( like myself) do you feel the 6” bit is big enough for walleye and pike fishing as well? Saves a lot of wear and battery life with the 6” than throwing the 8” on. What I’ve heard is most cases the 6” will be fine unless you hook into a lifetime fish. 

• Like 1

Wanderer

I’ve been able to get mid 20 inch pike up a 6 inch hole a few times but the 8 will help you turn the head easier, especially when the line is wrapped around the back side of the mandible.

Honestly my plan is to continue running the 6 inch but when I think I’m going to pike or walleye fish, the 8 will be with too.  I’ll used that after I dial in with the 6.

I’ll that I’ve over lapped 6’s in a pinch to get a bigger hole too.  I just wouldn’t do it for more than 1 tip up if I had an 8 handy.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78

I have not had an issue, but look at the 7 inch lazer hand auger. For trout I cut 4 -6inch holes so I can sight fish. I should add I use a 6 inch bit. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk

I fish walleyes a bunch that's why I opted for the 8 inch K drill. But like we all know its not a true 8 😉 I know a lot of guys have 6 inch bits but most of them really only fish panfish from what I've seen.  Yes you can slip a decent eye through a 6 inch hole and many do with there accidental catches of them . But you start getting fish in the 24 plus range fairly often and the larger hole is definitely nicer to turn the head to get her to come up the hole. Its all a preference thing but personally if I'm targeting eyes I will go no less than 8 . And if you start chaseing greenbacks in Winninpeg  a 10 is even a better choice for there. Yes you can cut multiple  holes side by side with a 6 and this is another option if you rarely fish walleyes  with consistency. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

IceHawk
16 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

I have not had an issue, but look at the 7 inch lazer hand auger. For trout I cut 4 -6inch holes so I can sight fish. I should add I use a 6 inch bit. 

Good tip on the sight fishing trout option Nick 👍

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78
1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Good tip on the sight fishing trout option Nick 👍

I do mark my hole with a stick like spears do.

• Wow 1

AlwaysFishing23

I like the idea of the 3 or 4 holes with the 6”. Only thing that might not be fun would be drilling them next to each other with the lazer hand auger being it has no center point. Unless it might be ok? 

• Wow 1

Wanderer
12 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

I like the idea of the 3 or 4 holes with the 6”. Only thing that might not be fun would be drilling them next to each other with the lazer hand auger being it has no center point. Unless it might be ok? 

Wont know until you try.  The Nils does it well enough to get the job done with some care but a centering point would help.  The Lazer will probably be similar to the Nils.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Mine has a point on the auger. It’s not to bad cutting the four holes just go slow.

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Raven77
      By Raven77
      Current Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports - Click Here.
      I'm new to this forum and new to Lake Vermilion.  We just purchased a cabin on the west end of the lake and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as fast as I can about the lake.
      I have snowmobiles and a portable shack so I can fish almost anywhere there is good ice.  I also have a 16' wheel house that we have used extensively on Lake of the Woods.  Does anyone on the west end of Vermilion plow ice roads to allow access with my wheel house?
      Thanks for any info you can provide!
      Chad
    • Patrick Bennett
      By Patrick Bennett
      I have a Good condition eskimo Hc40 10 inch auger runs great, I am selling as It is bigger than what I need at the moment. I am asking 300 but i may be able to work a little lower. I live in the west metro area just for reference 
      IMG_4309.HEIC IMG_8141.HEIC IMG_5616.HEIC
    • I_Love_2_Fish
      By I_Love_2_Fish
      This is a pretty cool video - I have to admire Jay's wife to go along on the fishing trip despite being sick and being rewarded by catching a trophy walleye. Also, I've never been in a SnoBear but they look impressive - if we get any more snow here I might need one just to get to work!!

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2019/02/11/lake-winnipeg-ice-fishing-snobear-jay-siemens-vlog

Cheers,
      Tony
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      South End
      Great reports continue to come in for walleyes and saugers. Fish being caught in a variety of depths from 24-34' of water.  Morning/evening bite in 15-20'.  Some suspended fish.  Keep jigging lines moving.  Gold, glow red and other glow colors effective.  Try rattles to draw fish in.  Deadstick with a plain hook and live minnow.  Fish houses on ice through March 31, walleyes open through April 14, pike season open continuous.  Thick ice, extensions needed.  Resort houses available with good ice.  Ice roads open.

Rainy River
      A strong current in the river this year and a lot of snow.  Snowmobile trail on a river is open and marked from Baudette (downstream from the bridge) to the lake.  Stay on the trail for safety.

NW Angle
      Excellent reports across the Angle.  Walleyes coming from 22-30'.  Saugers and jumbo perch mixed in.  Jig one line, second line dead stick with a plain hook with a live minnow.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow.  Lots of slush off of the trail. 

• fish4halibut
      By fish4halibut
      I want to gage the interest of the ice fishermen / sportsmen on my Utili-Sports™ trailer?  I'm in the process of fabricating a 6.5' x 12" aluminum trailer with a 6" tube framing that can be used for ice fishing, hunting, camping, toy hauling (atv/utv/motorcycle/snowmobile) or can be used as a utility trailer.  The trailer will have between 30"-36" fixed sidewalls to the trailer and similar to that of a regular utility trailer.  Although, both the sidewalls and flooring will be insulated.  I'm adding a 600 denier thinsulate tenting enclosure system to the trailer which can be attached/removed to/from the the sidewalls very easily.  It will also have a bimini travel cover for the tent enclosure for traveling and keeping the salt/muk off the tent enclosure in the winter.  There will also be a another travel cover fabricated for covered trailering for the taller motorcycles/snowmobiles/ATV/UTVs.  The bimini top would not be necessary if the trailer travel cover is used unless it is wanted for storing the tenting enclosure.  The curb weight of the trailer is currently 700-800 lbs so it is ideal for early ice and able to be moved easily with an ATV/SUV too.  With its light weight, the trailer doesn't have be pulled by a 4 wheel drive and can be towed on early/late ice with an ATV/UTV.  I am looking at having a secured storage box on the front v-frame section where I can store the battery for electronics usage\lighting and other items that need securing.  One of the other main benefits of this trailer is that it can be stored in your garage.  And while it is stored in your garage, you can drop the trailer down to ground level and store any of your toys in the trailer so no new storage space is required.  

At the end of the day, if you are like me, it will come down to a quality product and the PRICE.  Any feedback is appreciated and especially anything negative as I believe that is most important in understanding any shortcomings before it is commercialized.

"Camp, Hunt, Ice-Fish & Travel More"
    • Monkster
      By Monkster
      I wasn't exactly sure where I can post this, I believe there is a tournament/contest page also, but since it is ice fishing, I thought I'd post it here.

This is our 8th annual ice fishing contest held on Gervais Lake in Little Canada, MN. The lake is just north of Highway 36 on Edgerton street. We have parking in the beach lot and all around the beach area (walk out only). Portables are not allowed to fish in, but to use as a wind break is fine. We have lots of great fishing prizes including a Clam Stealth Thermal two-man, augers, electronics and many rod/reel combos. Tickets are $20 per hole (two hole max), register online or buy tickets at Joe's Sporting Goods, Hardware Hank Little Canada, Little Canada Bingo hall or Little Canada City Hall. www.lcraonline.org

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      I recently met up with my buddy Al to check out a small lake that I had never fished before (Al had only open water fished it). We didn't get to the lake until after sundown and we immediately started drilling holes looking for fish. It didn't take us too long to find an area that the fish were frequenting. We caught a couple fish and set up the flipover. We wound up getting into some nice Crappies and to our surprise some really nice Sunfish. I would really like to get back to this lake soon to explore some new areas and learn it a bit more as it definitely has quality fish!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin
      Good numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught of all sizes.  Jig one line, deadstick second.  Most anglers focused in 25-31' of water.  During the morning and evenings, shallow water bite in 13-18'.  Electronics very helpful with some larger fish suspended.  Every resort ice road is different but pickups and wheelhouses of varying sizes allowed on various ice roads.  Gold, glow red, yellow and orange hot colors.  Ice ranges from 12-20" where resorts are fishing.  Snowmobile trails on lake staked from south shore up to NW angle.  Please stay on marked trails, don't go off on your own and exercise safety precautions as ice conditions vary.
      On the Rainy River
      Stretches of the river and bay ice unsafe with heavier than normal current.  Some walleye action in Four Mile Bay early and late in the day.  Most river fishing currently being done by locals who know ice.
      The NW Angle
      Ice road is open from Young's Bay to Flag Island, no further as of yet.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked and are open.  Stay on the trail for safety!  Excellent fishing with good numbers of walleyes being caught.  Most fish coming from 18-24'.  Crappies being caught on Ontario side.  Work through resorts and stay on staked resort ice trails.

• Jake1
      By Jake1
      Hello fellow fisherman, does anyone know if there is any good ice in the Rochester area and surrounding cities? I do know that Foster has about 6in but still trying to get into better bodies of water.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      And our family has helped do it's share to help the DNR reduce that population. Makes great pickling material.😆👍
    • jurick
      Well, my annual trip was only an extended weekend this year, as I had to use my actual vacation to go to Florida for a wedding.    Drove up Friday morning after work, and was able to hit Two Island Lake for a few hours in the evening. As soon as we boated to my secret spot, a storm cloud moved over and the wind was insane! Temps dropped, and I only caught a few smallies.   on Saturday we went to Greenwood Lake. Even though we caught about 50 bass, it was still a slow day. Weather was perfect. Bugs were horrible! My dad caught a nice lake trout. My daughter caught her first northern pike, and I also caught one. Fished this lake for 30 years and never even seen a pike, now they’re taking over!   Fished Hungry Jack on the final day. Weather was once again perfect! Only caught a few bass. My son absolutely loves fishing off the resort’s dock. So the kids had a blast catching sunnies (including my daughter’s first).    Was a bummer we only got to stay up there a few days. My dad stayed until today, but I haven’t heard how he did. Didn’t see any moose. Was also the first time I’ve been up there and did not catch a trout. We got our fill of Sven & Ole’s and world’s best donuts. We might try to go back up next month.
    • gunner55
      Sand does too, but the size structure has gotten a bit better the last 5 years or so IMO. Still a lot of 17-23" ones in there, personally I like 'em around 20" if I'm going to keep them. Only 1(32") > 26" in the last 10-15 years out of there but I, like most I know,  don't use minnows very much.
    • fish_hunt_guy
      Ya I fished the edge as I do every year and have yet to catch a fish ha. Marked 2 good fish 1 had no interest in my jig and the one raced up to it then just drifted off without eating.  
    • PRO-V
      There are a ton of lakes with the same name. There are two different Trout Lakes within 20 miles of me.
    • eyeguy 54
      Bowstring has a gazillion. 
    • Hookmaster
      Thanks for the feedback guys. I placed the order about an hour ago!!
    • eyeguy 54
      Good luck Jeff!  Prayers that all goes well. 
    • mrpike1973
      Heal well my friend! hope all goes well. Brent
    • Wanderer
      Sorry to hear that @Borch!  Man, there’s been some surgeries going on this year...  Hope yours is minor and goes well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.