• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Robert James Ferdinandt

Auger Bit Adapter Or Dedicated Drill Auger

Robert James Ferdinandt

Looking for recommendations or feedback from anyone that has used any of the drill adapters with a hand auger like StrikeMaster has vs using a dedicated auger like the pistol bit. I can see there is some weight difference between the two but you can get a set up for half the cost if you are okay with the weight. 

Adapter: https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/two-stage-drill-adapter-for-auger-drills-/NDA-3.html?cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories&taglist=StrikeMaster|Auger Accessories#start=3&cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories 

• Thumbs Up 2

Noyo

I'm wondering about this too. I've watched several YouTube videos and haven't seen $175 worth of difference between these two options. I'll confess that I'm a cheapskate and will probably try the $25 adapter and retainer plate first. I don't mind being disappointed so much after gambling $25 on a piece of gear as I do blowing $200. I'm only 63 & 1/2 years-old so I guess that until I get old I can keep spinning the auger by hand. 😆

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

leech~~

Welcome to the forum guys. 

There are a bunch of people on here that chat about the next greatest battery powered drill gizmo each year. I'm sure one will be by soon with a reply.

Sorry I can't help but I'm a gas auger guy.  GAS is better anyway!

there that will get one of them stopping by soon!   😉  😀

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

papadarv

All my auger bits are configured to attach to gas power heads. (7/8" shaft) I configured my M18 fuel drill with a chuckless adapter and a Eskimo ION quick connect which uses the 3/4" shaft, same dia. as the Mora hand auger handle, clam plate and many auger bits. Also made adapters to fit my concerted Mora bits. No plate needed and never loose a auger bit.

20191104_120541.thumb.jpg.40ea38505e090e6d318e74b1a8ef7e6f.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow 1
  • l Love It 1

Tryagain

I bought an ice masters for my mora and it works well, I just use the drill, I don't have a handle and don't need one, hold the drill with both hands and it handles the torque fine.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

monstermoose78

The clam plate gives you a good handle to hang on to and not having to worry about hurting your wrist. It’s also nice to be able to set the clam plate down just like a gas auger. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Dave S
On 12/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, Robert James Ferdinandt said:

Looking for recommendations or feedback from anyone that has used any of the drill adapters with a hand auger like StrikeMaster has vs using a dedicated auger like the pistol bit. I can see there is some weight difference between the two but you can get a set up for half the cost if you are okay with the weight. 

Adapter: https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/two-stage-drill-adapter-for-auger-drills-/NDA-3.html?cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories&taglist=StrikeMaster|Auger Accessories#start=3&cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories 

As per my recent experience, if you're staring new, go with the designated auger bit. The adapters are made of soft steel and will twist off if you bind up a few times. especially if the hex is only 3/8".

If you're going with an adapter, have someone make one out of stainless for you. Or at least a stronger steel than the mild stuff sold in stores.

• Thanks 1

Kettle

I used a 20v drill with the 20$ chuck attachment and a 6" lazer hand mag and it did work. With that being said I'm back to drilling by hand. Monstermoose said it, you can easily end up with a wrist injury as there is nothing to absorb the speed if it catches. I'd either go with a drill plate or a bit designed for attaching a drill. The way it torques your wrist back is like falling on an outstretched hand and even a minor scaphoid bone injury can cause serious longterm injuries 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

Drill and handle. 😁

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54
11 hours ago, Borch said:

I've never had any concerns with the side handle and drilling with my kdrill.  But once or twice tried using it without the handle.  A recipe for disaster as far as I'm concerned.  So much torque if it grabs.  So I'd agree using the clam plate or at least a side handle if using a drill auger combo.

agree big time. the first time I used a kdrill was up on bowstring a few years ago. Was a friends and I had never seen them. No handle with 8 inch. Asked if I could try it and dang near ripped my arm off. lol  Never tried one again till I saw a friend with a handle on his. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

Friend in ND has an 8 inch kdrill with extention and a mud mixer drill for late ice.  I drilled a couple hole with it in 45 inches of ice last march out there and that set up was sweet! Chipper is great for the dirty ice out there. 

• Thanks 1

Wanderer
40 minutes ago, Chill62 said:

The one thing though that I did not like about the jiffy set ups is that they use a pin not a bolt to connect the head to the shaft.  As a result it has a lot of wobble in it for my liking.  I'm sure there is a reason why they do it that way but I did not care for the wobble.

I understood the reason was to eliminate the need to add an extra quick connect/disconnect  to easily separate the auger from the power head.  I’ve only cut a handful of holes with my E6 but didn’t notice an annoying wobble.  None really at all.  I’ll have to pay close attention next time.

So far, I really like that feature.

• Thanks 1

AlwaysFishing23

Unless you have a nice dewalt or Milwaukee hammer drill with a the side handle do your self a favor and get the drill plate, your wrists will thank you. 

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
  • Thumbs Up 3

eyeguy 54

Mine is not a hammer drill 

E6213BE3-9518-4487-A72B-10F438F045E5.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

AlwaysFishing23

I’ve went back and forth debating to buy (bare tool) a dewalt hammer drill for boring holes. To be able to obtain the better construction of the hammer vs the driver. But I started off with the dcd 791 (compact brushless drill driver). Puts out 620 inch lbs of torque and the thing really is a beast. I have 3- 5ah battery’s and a 4ah and have never drained down 1 5ah in a day of fishing yet. Spins the 6” lazer like a champ. I’ve used the 8” to but want to do some more testing with it now that we have a little thicker ice. Very happy overall. Buddies love using it as well.

Eyeguy The nice thing about the Milwaukee’s is that all the drill drivers or hammer drills come with the side handle where years ago only the hammer came with the side handle. How are you liking your setup with the Milwaukee ( non hammer). What bit are you running?

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

eyeguy 54

I sold my nills cuz of the slush issue and use a 6 k drill now. Not as fast and battery doesn’t last as long but I am happy. 

• Thanks 1

Getanet

I have a 6" Nils and Dewalt without a handle.  95% of the time it cuts with no problem. That 5% of the time though when it catches on something breaking through, it can hurt. Unfortunately I don't think I can add a handle to mine (Dewalt 20V DCD771C2). If I could do it over again I'd probably get the Milwaukee, but won't be buying anything else until this one dies out.

• Thanks 1

IceHawk

Papadarv nice setup looks like to me you are a master fabricator. Really appreciate  your ability's  to create and design  things on your own 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk

Have to Agree if I was to do it all over again I would do the mud mixer by far the easiest setup for a k drill besides the clam plate. I;ve had a chance to use almost all the electrics and IMO Chill62 is spot on. All of the setups mentioned have a time and place. Here's my take on what I found  by testing and fishing with a few.   For reopening holes and cutting in community spots dirty ice K drill hands down. For a drill setup that gets piles of holes per battery charge a clam plate Strike master bit or light flight drill combo. For a great electric without a drill  capable of cutting numerous holes the Strike master 40 v hands down. Although I thought they kind of grab on bottom of ice but that might be from me pushing down to hard.  I still own a Strike master lazer solo and I guarantee I will never let it go. Some call them Dinasours extinct so to say I say there wrong. When ice gets real thick mid  late season and I can drive out this bad boy comes out when searching for panfish bites and fresh fish. Cutting multiple holes through thick ice say 50-100 plus a day requires power and gas is the answer for me. For the record as far as Elecrtics go I own a K-drill for my style of fishing

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

papadarv

I got the Milwaukee Mud Mixer 2 summers ago thinking it would be great based on several reports and drilling videos. Turned out quite disappointing. Yes it has power and great drill speed selection, but it also has a built in thermistor sensor that shuts the drill down when designers felt it reached a temperature that would cause a failure. Turns out that time is between 3 or 4 holes drilled in < 20" ice. Took about 5 min. to recover and stop again after 2 holes. It's now retired to lower & raise my motor home jack's. 

The Milwaukee 2804 gen 3 Fuel 1200 IP drill with handle in my opinion is a much better choice, it rocks. My old mud mixer set-up.

20180928_194640.thumb.png.27ba30a2c3caca4e362116c9498480f0.png

Edited by papadarv
  • l Love It 1

Rick G
2 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Have to Agree if I was to do it all over again I would do the mud mixer.

Bare tool is only $150 for the mud mixer. Will be switching over myself at some point

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch
2 hours ago, papadarv said:

Yes it has power and great drill speed selection, but it also has a built in thermistor sensor that shuts the drill down when designers felt it reached a temperature that would cause a failure. Turns out that time is between 3 or 4 holes drilled in < 20" ice. Took about 5 min. to recover and stop again after 2 holes. 

I have heard several others with the same issue.  One reason I stayed away from that model. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

Not sure what model he has out in ND. Drilled plenty in 45 inches of ice. Cleared the shavings every foot. Maybe that was the trick to it not overheating?

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

eyeguy 54

Saw this online 

3C3B1A3D-5320-4E50-BB5C-525243315FF9.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1