• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Formyson

Fishing Spots For Dad And Son

Formyson

Hey, I am just starting to ice fish and need some ideas of where to go to catch some  crappies with my 6 year old son (Santa is brining is both some gear). We live in Eagan, Mn, but will go anywhere within an 2 hour or so drive. My son has ADHD so has short attention span, but hopefully we can find some good spots to catch some fish, to keep him interested. My email address is [email protected], if you would rather email me. Thanks in advance and maybe we will see you fishing! 😉

Patrick Bennett

You should be able to find crappies and bluegills in most all of the fishing in the neighborhood lakes!

• Thanks 1

CigarGuy

Can't go wrong with Prior Lake out of the public beach or the sportsman landing. You'll see all the fisher people out there.

• Thanks 1

Formyson

Thank you! Will give prior a try.

Bucketcastle

The best spot I can recommend taking kids is crystal lake in burnsville.  You might get one keeper gill, but you will be rebaiting their hook all day.  That is hard to beat considering its icefishing.  In between the public beach and island there's tons of little gills to keep kids entertained. (East side of lake that says park with beach)

Crystal_Lake_Map.jpg

Edited by Bucketcastle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Formyson

Thanks so much for the info. Will give that a try!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      One thing that's interesting being at a Seasonal resort all summer is watching how so many folks clean and fillet their fish in the cleaning shack.  And all the different fillet knives folks have. You can really pick-up some good hints.  I'm probably more like Wanderer in that I just spent hours in a boat catching these fish. I take my time to do the best job I can at filleting them out.  I do marvel at one of my buddies pan fish filleting.  Freaky-fast and clean!  😁
    • leech~~
      How many holes today?  By the looks of the size, may be you should have stayed home? 🤭
    • eyeguy 54
      Future monster if the catfish don’t eat it. Lol
    • eyeguy 54
      I use them to bone out and trim venny also.  Perfect knife for it. The electric I have found works nice on ribs. I think the cutco is probably about 35 years old also. Not 30. Had it sharpened a few years back by the rep here. Cool knife she said. 😁
    • Tom Sawyer
      Second, but would be willing to change if I owed a skins zit. Most of my fish are cleaned with a 6" rubber handled rap. Use a 4" for walleye cheeks, and also have a larger one for big northerns.    Mmmm, those gills were good tonight. I did get a Cutco, for a gift a while back, decent knife. Just comfortable with the newer Raps, prefer rubber over the wood for handles.  I know I must have quite a few fillet knives, but none as old as that cutco eyeguy has.... That adjustment comes in handy for large gators on the Cutco.   
    • smurfy
      I fillet around the rib bones right away. And I have my own unique way of doing pike. Don't ask.😊
    • Rick
      I'm same as you Icehawk
    • Xplorer
      I have a Cutco and a Rapala electric that I use 99% of the time.   If I use the electric, I do it the first way, but I leave it attached to the tail to take off the fillet.   When I use the Cutco I usually do it the second way.  I also have 2 regular rapalas.  One old wood handled 5” and a rubber handled 7” that I got my son to learn to fillet with.  The 5” gets used a ton in the house for all kinds of things. Used it last weekend to slice a veni roast up for making jerky.  It’s a sweet little rig that can get in all the tight spots.  
    • Huntin&Fishin
      Sent you a PM IceHawk
    • eyeguy 54
      Bottom one is 35 years old. Cutco I got about 30 years ago. Still a great knife. Can’t throw the old ones away lol