• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Main Lake Walleyes Early Ice

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

Nice video. Fun seeing those eyes

• Thumbs Up 1
DonkeyHodey

Wow!

(what is the camera you are using?  That is amazing clarity!  (Is it still that clear in deeper water/thicker ice?))

• Thumbs Up 1

The water clarity is one of the challenges of getting those eyes to bite, especially in the somewhat shallow water.

Keep at em Bryan, nice video.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@DonkeyHodey Aqua Vu Revolution 5.0 Pro.  The camera does have great clarity but its more the lake then the camera that makes it clear. Mille lacs is a great lake for camera, very clear. And yes deeper you go usually grainier it will get but this lake I can see 20-30 ft just fine. 

• Thanks 2

@Sculpin Thanks! Yes, water is so clear which is great for camera but makes tough bite. Crazy every time I drop the camera down its just zebra mussels. Always like what the heck do they feed on,  looks like barren waste land.  Sad. 

Edited by Bryan P
  • Wow, ❤ 1

The clear water is a result of improved septic systems around the lake and obviously the explosion of zebra mussels that have filtered the water.  Not good for walleye population, but obviously better for using an underwater camera.  The increased water clarity has played a big role as to why the smallmouth bass and pike populations have increased too.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• DTro
      It's truly amazing how social media has transformed our lives.   Seems like not too long ago there was no such thing as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TikTok.    Where did you go for fishing information, research, brotherhood and fellowship?   You spent a lot of time at bait shops, reading magazines and newspapers, or you dialed up into a fishing discussion bulletin board on the world wide web.   I'm a geek who preferred the electronic version so I spent A LOT of time online reading everything I could on web forums and discussion boards.  I came to find a primary home here with Fishing Minnesota in roughly 2000.   I dove in and met a lot of great fishing and personal friends.  I was provided the opportunity to get involved with the marketing side of fishing and learned quite a bit about the business of fishing.   I've been saddened to see how participation in forums such as this and others I follow, have crashed with the growing popularity of other platforms.   What brings me here though today is to stop by and say hi to all my old fishing friends.  About 4 years ago I started a Catfish/Sturgeon guide service.  It has been growing steadily each year and one of the reoccurring themes I seem to experience is how many of my guests refer to Fishing Minnesota Dot Com and how they came to recognize me and my activity there from years ago.      For several years this site reigned supreme when it came to current fishing news and information and a place where everyone was here to help and became a brotherhood for many.  While there was always some political stuff tossed in, for the most part it was a place to forget about the world and focus on our favorite past time.    Oh how times have changed.....      I hope everyone is doing well and pushing through all the background noise in todays world.  What we are currently experiencing does not bode well for our mental health and I hope things change soon before we find ourselves in another 1863 Gettysburg.   I'll share a great experience I had the other night with a Mother/Daughter captured by Ben Garving (Award winning KARE11 photojournalist).   He really did a great job in capturing what happens when you forget about outside things for a while and spend time with family and just sit back and enjoy our great outdoors.   No matter your political views or your thoughts on our natural resources and how they are managed, this is something we can all come together and embrace.    Take care!   KARE11 Sturgeon Story Click Here
    • gimruis
      I have encountered this problem for years now.  I see all kinds of ducks on the city lakes I fish and then when duck season rolls around, they're STILL on the city lakes and there's virtually none to be found on the ponds I can hunt.
    • JerkinLips
      SkunkedAgain, I will be up early Friday so I will let you know.  Boat and motor (and full minnow bucket) are still in the lake from last week when water temps were 50F.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • Wanderer
      Rick posted a link on this too.  Scroll down a few topics for more info.
    • Wanderer
      One goose for me today.  The other one shrugged off the BBs and left it’s partner with me.   Hard to tell if a person should call or not.  I’ve turned birds both to me and away by calling.  Running a minimal spread.
    • JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • JBMasterAngler
      Best bet would be to troll tiny flashy spinners until you mark schools of fish. Then use winter tactics when you find them.
    • monstermoose78
    • Wanderer
      It’s an early fall this year. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.