• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wheezy Outdoors

Walker, Longville, Remer, Grand Rapids Area Report

Wheezy Outdoors

Ice conditions have varied extremely across the Northland. From smaller lakes laden with slush and heavy snow having roughly 6”-9” of ice, to larger lakes having scant snow cover and moderately fishable ice in upwards of 5”. Although ice conditions have room for improvement, the fishing has been rather exceptional. The early season Walleye bite, is never disappointing to say the least. We are finding them in 6’-12’ of water and also in 17’-28’ on area lakes, working edges of the breaks off of flats or shoreline points. Small Spoons tipped with a minnow head or jigging raps have been the best. Also, try using set-lines with a simple set up, plain hook and a Shiner or Sucker Minnow. Crappies and Bluegills have been good on smaller bodies of water over the basins and along the weedlines. Look to the inside turns or weed points, most productive baits have been tiny spoons or tungsten jigs tipped with Clam Maki Plastics or a Waxworm. As it always is, mobility has been key to staying on active fish. “Hole-Hopping” and moving around following the school has led to the best results. As I write this report the outside temp is currently -9° and with the continuing weather it is safe to say we are going to be making some serious ice this week. So, we are looking forward to the week ahead of us, as ice conditions will continue to improve and become more traversable. Of course, we still advise you to take all necessary precautions, and remember No Ice is Ever Safe Ice.

-Alice Wiese

Wheezy Outdoors Guide Service

218-275-7525

image.png.d5937db5a11f0f86d01bf74de124359a.pngimage.png.6736aa5113a5ed3694cc1518f7453a99.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      Was nice to see those pics. Tight lines!
    • Borch
      From memory 10-15 fow.
    • Borch
      Mine popped Sunday and I was on the lake zipping up the pant leg on my ice suit.   Luckily it settled down because I was fishing either way.  😁
    • smurfy
      generally speaking how deep of water is the weed edge out there on that point?? i'm thinking looking at the lake map and Pauls road on the north side of that point. depends on if there is anyone else around that area!!?? I like being away and alone!!!!!
    • eyeguy 54
      You wounded too cret?It ain’t fun. 
    • Austin12345
      Lol I fished the same spot last weekend it is by far better after dark though so diffently try that spot for crappie after dark. Because it was good during the day but insane at night. There are some 12 inch plus ones in there to. 
    • monstermoose78
      Feel better soon cret we got gills to catch
    • Wanderer
      Naw, I just spit on it a little.  And I sorta mean that.  When I was out hole hopping the minnow head froze while I was trying my other baits (usually have 3 set ups handy).  A frozen minnow head floats on the hook so I had to thaw it out in my mouth and crunch the ice out of it with my teeth so it would hang right.  Yah - hard core heathen! 😄  Anything to save the hands I guess even though it was my last try before heading into warmth.
    • Jasopete
      I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 
    • jigginjim
      Nice walleye, I have caught several walleyes while fishing crappies. If there are smaller 4-6 inch crappies around there will be Walleyes not far away.  Lately several guys I have chatted with claim they see crappies on the Vex's but they won't bite.  I wonder if those are really shiners?  As there are lots of shiners in Buffalo lake, and several other lakes here in central Mn, have large amount of shiners roaming the lakes.  I use minnows in several different areas,  and sizes can make a difference as well.  If the crappies are biting good, even fatheads will work and take the bigger ones at that. if it's slow smaller minnows, down to a size 16 trout bug on a drop shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.