• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jiffy Propane Ice Auger Spins At Idle

Tommyjohn

I've had this Jiffy propane ice auger for a couple years and shortly after I bought it used, it would spin viciously while idling.  I took it apart because I thought it may be the clutch or clutch springs but those appeared okay.  I also adjusted the idler screw on the throttle plate and this did nothing.  Any ideas?

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to the forum. 

The only way this could happen is if the idler is to high or the clutch is stuck and engaging.  Good Luck, let us know if you get it figured out?  It could help others with the same issue. 

• Thanks 1

clutch is broken.   put a new one on and you will be fine.   My Jiffy gas auger did the same thing.

Don

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tommyjohn said:

Sorry for the late response on this thread.  Should I replace only the clutch drum or the clutch driver??

Yes, replace the whole clutch. If one side is worn chances are the whole thing is worn. You want good clean even surfaces on both sides.  Good luck and let us know how it went-this winter!  ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Thanks 1

clutch is broken.   put a new one on and you will be fine.   My Jiffy gas auger did the same thing.

My cousin have the same problem, and he says it's not the clutch. Anything else?

Edited by parrker656
  • Confused 1
  • Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, parrker656 said:

My cousin have the same problem, and he says it's not the clutch. Anything else?

Hum, please ask your cousin for his thoughts on what he has and has not tried and how he came to his conclusion that it's not the clutch and share them. Or better yet have him join the forum and he can explain himself.  ?

Tommyjohn I would hold off replacing the clutch until parrker656 comes back with this new information to share. No reason to spend money on the wrong thing.  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

I just got a Strike Master and right out of the box it does the same thing. I thought it was strange and was going to drill some holes before trying to figure out if something is wrong. My auger is less than a week old and has a 5 year warranty so I'm not tripping yet. It's interesting to read that a Jiffy did the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

leech~~, sorry for bothering you, but I'm not sure about all the steps he has done, and he's busy because of work for now, but has model, as I know similar to Jiffy 46 X-Treme ( like this one here). Screenshot_20191230-124603_Chrome.jpg.8a20d82cbc0effdc1209951d5291a99d.jpg

What else can it be if it's not about the clutch? I will try to fix it by myself already, spending a little time for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, parrker656 said:

leech~~, sorry for bothering you, but I'm not sure about all the steps he has done, and he's busy because of work for now, but has model, as I know similar to Jiffy 46 X-Treme ( like this one here).Screenshot_20191230-124603_Chrome.jpg.894d4d67811afd16bfce7f64e32ebe6c.jpg What else can it be if it's not about the clutch? I will try to fix it by myself already, spending a little time for that.

Oh no bother at all.  Just not much else it can be.  If you think about it what else engages the auger blade to drill holes?  

Speaking of jiffy augers.  Just put a carb rebuild kit in my 3hp tecumseh model 30 today.  Runs like a champ now.  Was doing a carb cleaning last month and the main needle snapped in my fingers when rubbing gunk off it.  8 bucks for a rebuild kit, for that price a guy could do it every year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

26 minutes ago, Bucketcastle said:

Speaking of jiffy augers.  Just put a carb rebuild kit in my 3hp tecumseh model 30 today.  Runs like a champ now.  Was doing a carb cleaning last month and the main needle snapped in my fingers when rubbing gunk off it.  8 bucks for a rebuild kit, for that price a guy could do it every year.

Those things are tanks but drill like crazy. My buddy who doesn't ice fish much has one at his cabin he pulls out once or twice a winter, fills it with gas and drills away. He may not even have changed the plug in it 15-20 years he's had it? ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I switched to electric Strikemaster 40 volt and hope it holds up. Couldn't get my LP Jiffy lite to not leak oil no matter what position it was layed in or stood up. Mine would stay spinning sometimes but it was related to idle speed...i would run it wide open for a two minutes and then it would work for fine. My brother has a jiffy gas and its been great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mustangsally said:

I switched to electric Strikemaster 40 volt and hope it holds up. Couldn't get my LP Jiffy lite to not leak oil no matter what position it was layed in or stood up. Mine would stay spinning sometimes but it was related to idle speed...i would run it wide open for a two minutes and then it would work for fine. My brother has a jiffy gas and its been great.

Yep.

Posted December 7, 2019

Welcome to the forum. 

The only way this could happen is if the idle is to high or the clutch is stuck and engaging.  Good Luck, let us know if you get it figured out?  It could help others with the same issue. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommyjohn said:

I don't want to buy a clutch yet.  Could it be a compression issue??

Have you checked your Troll up and down switches? ?

image.png.114f9afc8a9ad53d28321065dfc8bb64.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also had a neighbor who had the same issue with a jiffy auger. It was an older model so he didnt bother to have it repaired. He eventually replaced it with a eskimo propane auger.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, borg0196 said:

My buddy just dropped his off at the shop for the same issue. I will let you know what they say.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:59 AM, parrker656 said:

leech~~, sorry for bothering you, but I'm not sure about all the steps he has done, and he's busy because of work for now, but has model, as I know similar to Jiffy 46 X-Treme ( like this one here). Screenshot_20191230-124603_Chrome.jpg.8a20d82cbc0effdc1209951d5291a99d.jpg

What else can it be if it's not about the clutch? I will try to fix it by myself already, spending a little time for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 12:28 AM, CaptnKirkDaMann said:

I just got a Strike Master and right out of the box it does the same thing. I thought it was strange and was going to drill some holes before trying to figure out if something is wrong (on this page)

On 12/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, Bucketcastle said:

Yep mine did the same thing too...

I'm going to try that bucketcastle, thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Mike Daniels
  • Thanks 1