• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baffin Boots?

Rick G

Well my 3yr old Rockies took a dump while shoveling snow yesterday. Time for a replacement pair. Looking at either Baffin snowmonsters or their impact boots. Anybody own either of these?  Are they as good as the reviews say?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I don't have them but have looked at them and they both look like pretty nice boots. I would lean towards the snowmonsters. A few things I always think about when looking at winter boots.

1) Pants tucked in or over?  I usually wear bibs over-pants in.

2) Tread design, are they going to bite in to the snow-slush when pulling a sled or dropping down a hill to a lake and not slip on my foot or on the ice very bad?

3) Can I walk far in them if I need to walk in to a lake?

4) Insert type and design. I like the ones that stay in the boot and not come out or move around when I take them off each time.

5) Water proof and breathable-a must.

6) If needed can I drive in them from lake to lake and not hit both peddles if their to big?

7) Warmth rating. I could be out standing on the ice from sun up until sun down.

Right now I have Lacrosse Ice Kings and even though they are really warm and my feet have never ever been cold in them. Their not the greatest for walking long distances.  Trying to drive with them is not the best either but I usually pull them off at the truck.

• Thumbs Up 2

nice lookin boot!  spendy buggers! my lacrosse alphas are close to upgrade time and I really like them. looked online at the outpost and marked down to 82 bucks straight from lacrosse. 110 at scheels. not sure about foam liner. I see the ice king has that kind of liner. they hold up good leech? 

• I Like it 1

I can't speak to either of the ones you mention, but I have the Baffin Apex and would definitely buy again when the time comes. Going on year 6. Super warm and waterproof, very good at reducing foot sweat. I went from Lacrosse Ice Kings to these. The advantages are, they are much lighter, narrower so I can drive with them on if needed also to fit creepers on over them. They are expensive, but how much is comfort and durability worth? Guys have no issue dumping big $$$ on custom ice rods just to cheap out when it comes to the things that are always in contact with the ice. Fishing is a lot better when you're feet are warm. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

nice lookin boot!  spendy buggers! my lacrosse alphas are close to upgrade time and I really like them. looked online at the outpost and marked down to 82 bucks straight from lacrosse. 110 at scheels. not sure about foam liner. I see the ice king has that kind of liner. they hold up good leech? 

Like I said, the Ice Kings are super warm but are a bit hard to walk very far in. I have, but I'm sure the foam liners will wear faster if you use them for hiking instead of just standing on the ice or sledding in them.  I've had mine now for about 10 years and did put new liners in a few years ago. The old ones weren't really worn out but I thought it was time.  I have pretty thick calfs so the neoprene full boots are really hard for me to get into and chafe my calfs bad by the end of the day walking in them.

Edited by leech~~
  • Thanks 1

Well, ended up going with the Snowmonsters. Had them on for a couple hours yesterday while blowing/shoveling snow. I really wont know how warm they are till spending a day on the ice.... but I already know they are some of the more comfortable boots I have ever tried on? Hopefully money well spent.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought some silicone spray.. ;)

• Yayyyy 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
59 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Like I said, the Ice Kings are super warm but are a bit hard to walk very far in. I have, but I'm sure the foam liners will wear faster if you use them for hiking instead of just standing on the ice or sledding in them.  I've had mine now for about 10 years and did put new liners in a few years ago. The old ones weren't really worn out but I thought it was time.  I have pretty thick calfs so the neoprene full boots are really hard for me to get into and chafe my calfs bad by the end of the day walking in them.

Got a set of Lacrosse Ice Kings myself leech super warm probably one of the warmest boots ive found . They are bulky but the warmth is unreal. I wear a light moisture wicking sock in mine and never get cold feet.  About the only time I use them is on a deer stand. Tried them ice fishing years ago but outside the warmth they just weren't very waterproof. Especially for guys  that swiss cheese the ice. I'm useing Ice Armor boots by clam now for ice fishing and like them. Warm and waterproof a plus on the ice.  Have never really heard any bad reviews on Baffin boots always positive. So when I'm in the need for new boots Ill look into them. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Dang. Don’t make them anymore. Will use the spray in them and see what happens. Only boots like this I have ever owned where my socks don't bunch up. I hate that! LOL

2C7CD2E8-B2B3-4C7C-BE1A-EBA7B46284A0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The Cold rating on boots is getting a little crazy now.  Every knock off thin felt liner boot at Fleet Farm or Wal-Mart now is -30--50 below! ? 

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Always go with the 3MThinsulate rating. I wouldn't set foot on the ice with less than 1200 grams, unless the temp is above 35 degrees. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Will use the spray in them and see what happens.

2C7CD2E8-B2B3-4C7C-BE1A-EBA7B46284A0.jpeg

Hope I'm not to late.....

Pretty sure that spray is intended to be used on the (outside) of the boot ?

• Yayyyy 2

Funny. Lol. I just read my post and noticed I hit the i instead of the o again. I do that quite often on my phone. Lol. Also said to myself, I bet Tom noticed. Saw your post and thought you didn’t. Then I saw your second post. Lol would be kinda funny trying to spray the inside of my boots. 

6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Lol would be kinda funny trying to spray the inside of my boots. 

Not as funny as standing on the ice with boots that only have 400 grams of Thinsulate ??

Wimp. Been using these many years and feet are fine. One thin pair white socks. Right foot gets a little chilly at times since last surgery but it’s fine. I don’t fish much when it’s crazy cold. I watch movies. Lol

Leech and ice hawk are some tough birds since they survive also with 400. Ha!

Tons better than the old sorrels 

• Thumbs Up 1

Luckily mine don’t sweat. Hate getting wet from slush tho. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Luckily mine don’t sweat. Hate getting wet from slush tho.  Flashback!  I do remember using some silicone spray in my ski boots many years ago. Have not skied since 2010. Dang back. Oh look, a squirrel

• Yayyyy 1

34 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Luckily mine don’t sweat. Dang back. Oh look, a squirrel

37 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Luckily mine don’t sweat.

darn straight, or your feet would freeze. 65a72fb0c878e2aa7a8bf93b385b6a9a.jpg.7875f66b2e951e86b94e6d5c771d595b.jpg

Better lucky than good, even a blind squirrel finds a nut, once in a while ....  

• Yayyyy 2

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Luckily mine don’t sweat. Hate getting wet from slush tho.  Flashback!  I do remember using some silicone spray in my ski boots many years ago. Have not skied since 2010. Dang back. Oh look, a squirrel

I've used camp dry every year and they wick water well. I definitely don't sit outside below zero, I'm angry at the fish not crazy

• Thanks 1

I found a nut. Then threw it away. 

7 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Especially for guys  that swiss cheese the ice. I'm useing Ice Armor boots by clam now for ice fishing and like them. Warm and waterproof a plus on the ice.  

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Leech and ice hawk are some tough birds since they survive also with 400. Ha!

GO VIKS!

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • l Love It 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
14 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

GO VIKS!

Those are the ones I' m using Tom been happy with them so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

18 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Not as funny as standing on the ice with boots that only have 400 grams of Thinsulate ??

So, we're going to get into a my 1200 Thinsulate penis is bigger discussion?  ? 

Like I said, I have spent all day from sun up until sun down standing on Ice with my Ice Kings in white cotton socks and my feet have never-ever been cold.  Even with my little 400 thinsulater!  ?  ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Yayyyy 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, Rick G said:

Well, ended up going with the Snowmonsters. Had them on for a couple hours yesterday while blowing/shoveling snow. I really wont know how warm they are till spending a day on the ice.... but I already know they are some of the more comfortable boots I have ever tried on? Hopefully money well spent.

I have some Baffin Sequoia's I bought two years ago and like them a lot.  Warm, lightweight, comfortable, great for hole hopping.  You should be happy with them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

So, we're going to get into a my 1200 Thinsulate penis is bigger discussion?

See, this is where math is handy.  You can tell by not looking at it.  I’m going with 3X bigger  ?

And now to really git yer goat; Thermacell heated insoles will help a bare ice champ stay comfortable longer in lighter, smaller boots.  But we’ve debated that one before.

Enjoy your boots @Rick G!  

• Thumbs Up 1