• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wonderbread

IceHawk

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I was going through some gear tonight and was amazed at the amount of wonderbread hooks I have. Even have a few new spoons painted in wonderbread that Im excited to give  a shot this winter. It had me thinking at how such a weird color has exploded in the tackle industry. I will admit it was probably one of my best produceing colors last winter why I have know idea but the fish like it! Any one else find there selves using this color a bunch? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Never tried them because they just looked to silly. ?      It might be time? ?

I haven’t used Wonderbread much but have always heard it’s a good color.  If it’s In glow, there’s no question why it works! 

The Lake Superior trollers love it.

• I Like it 1

It's a color that gets used quite a bit by me. I was first turned on to it years ago at Outdoors Again in Lake of The Woods. I even had a few Rippin Raps done in Wonderbread by a guy who does custom paint jobs on lures. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

anyone with a picture of this?? I thought it was a loaf of bread??????? never heard of it. I gotta get out more!!!!!??

• Yayyyy 1

21 minutes ago, smurfy said:

anyone with a picture of this?? I thought it was a loaf of bread??????? never heard of it. I gotta get out more!!!!!??

Kind of these happy silly colors! ?

image.png.b29c779d8e4f9b7d862a57bf76d4ac8c.png

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Use it a lot on Lake Michigan for salmon and trout.  Started adding it to my ice arsenal 2 winters ago and have done well with it at times.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I grabbed a couple from widow maker lures and loved them. they call it widow bread and all the polka dot jigs glow. Really does make a guy wonder why do the gills and crappies like it. Used last summer also. Only one left so better get more. 

83483E05-9027-44E2-B52E-BF8EC27EE47F.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

I thought wonder bread was a joke too but when I was a pro staff for a company everyone was bragging it up so they sent me some.  They worked great.  When I switched jig companies I had to talk him into painting wonder bread for me and within a week of advertising he was willing to make them he was flooded with order requests.  I have never used them in spoons or rap's though.  Last year ice fishing 5 of 20 limited out in hour half, we were the only 5 using wonder bread.  Before people say well those 5 people were the best 5 people on the ice 3 were under 16 and we were teaching them how to read a graph for the first time.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

just ordered. reasonable shipping cost thru widow maker lures. 

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

just ordered. reasonable shipping cost the widow maker lures

Oop, oh never mind!  ?

That color definitely works . More and more companies are comeing out with it in there hook line ups. Hopefully I find as much success with some of the spoons and Z vibes in that color as well ?

• I Like it 2

Couldn't find a pic from last winter with wonder bread but did find one with pink and white. hopefully will get some pics when this ice gets safe. 

17a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

42 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

That color definitely works . More and more companies are comeing out with it in there hook line ups. 

1997859219_Capture_2019-11-27-08-22-59.png.070e1008df4768a25895ef3a2d317e59.png

Clam put it use on their flutter spoons, finally available to the public this year. Tested through the roof on perch last season ?, its been a mainstay on their drop jig for years. 

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

47 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

That color definitely works . More and more companies are comeing out with it in there hook line ups. Hopefully I find as much success with some of the spoons and Z vibes in that color as well ?

IceHawk,

If you like the Z vibe I encourage you to check out the K-Rip by Kender's Outdoors. Same kind of style but in some different colors and sizes.

Edited by A.Wichman
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

26 minutes ago, A.Wichman said:

IceHawk,

If you like the Z vibe I encourage you to check out the K-Rip by Kender's Outdoors. Same kind of style but in some different colors and sizes.

Thanks I looked at them but didn't pull trigger yet. They do look encourageing. I have a few questions how do they fish? U try them yet? My concern was weight issues for deeper water aplications getting down faster so to speak.  I do have a few perch lakes that are shallow that they might be the ticket on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure what my reasoning behind it besides being cost but I have done really well on darker colors that are less appealing to our eyes but seem to catch fish and cost less. Done well on walleye and panfish with dark purples, blacks and brown. Chalking it up to my dumb luck

• I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I do as well Kettle.  On one lake I fished last winter all they wanted was a dark maroon or purple jig with motor oil plastics.   The bright stuff didn't get bit.

It's good to have options so you can figure out what they want.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

22 minutes ago, Borch said:

On one lake I fished last winter all they wanted was a dark maroon or purple jig with motor oil plastics. 

Ok, I think I'm about to learn something new?  ?

Is there a brand or weight oil that works the best?  Like straight weight or multi-viscosity?  Have you tried the Synthetic's like Mobil 1?  Do you keep your plastics in or dip it before using? ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 3

Every lake has a mystery about it for sure. Solving that mystery is what dictates a good day on the ice versus a bad one. Some lakes definitely  have color preferences.  Is color huge most of the time IMO no. I would say there are other things that play more effect in on a day of topsiding  fish other than color  Usally  its the cadence ones doing, the profile, match the hatch so to speak and the location and reason fish are in a area etc. Would I go to leech without something green ,Millacs blue, LOW gold, no as those colors on those lakes have always produced better than others and are known for it.  I fish the heck out of Lake  Koronis Jig rapping all year for walleyes and I have kept log books overthe years. There is one color Jig Rap that I will never set foot on this lake without. Its produced over 80 % of my fish hands down. I use multiple colors out there and this color always is lights out. Will I give that color out, probably not but you might be able to coax it out of another FM fisherman that knows me well ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

3 hours ago, IceHawk said:

There is one color Jig Rap that I will never set foot on this lake without. Its produced over 80 % of my fish hands down. I use multiple colors out there and this color always is lights out. Will I give that color out, probably not but you might be able to coax it out of another FM fisherman that knows me well ?

Ok, but will you share what brand motor oil you dip it in? ?

• Yayyyy 1

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

You find a good brand and try it first and fill me in on your success.  Who knows maybe you will get a kickback like Eyeguy 54 got from Majic Mikes skull mounts. Maybe with any luck you can get that sweatshirt you have been after for years. ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 3

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I knew a guy who swore by using WD40 on his minnows and I saw him do it and it did work but they probably would have bite anything 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Saw it done myself kettle and the guy caught fish also. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

36 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

You find a good brand and try it first and fill me in on your success.  Who knows maybe you will get a kickback like Eyeguy 54 got from Majic Mikes skull mounts. Maybe with any luck you can get that sweatshirt you have been after for years. ?

Are you new here?  ?

IMG_2585.JPG

• Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

7 hours ago, IceHawk said:

I use multiple colors out there and this color always is lights out. Will I give that color out, probably not but you might be able to coax it out of another FM fisherman that knows me well ?

Lol, "so many colors, so little time"

• Yayyyy 1

Just my 2 cents and back on topic. .....

I think why that wonderbread color pattern works well comes down to contrast. Everyone remember how deadly a five of diamonds, and the orange or chartreuse with black dots were? Also, dots symbolize eyes, fish always key in on eyes. Northland even came out with a jigging spoon last year that simply looks like an eyeball. Simple, but very effective. 

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 3