• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

AlwaysFishing23

New Clam Drill Plate Rig

AlwaysFishing23

Got my new drill plate rig last night. Dewalt brushless drill with 4ah battery’s. Spun a 8” lazer hand auger great last weekend in 6” ice. Got a 6” lazer hand auger bit to pair with the plate so it should be an excellent combo. 13.3lbs is what the whole setup weighted! That works for me. Got a heck of a deal on the setup to with price matching and coupons so I can’t complain to much. Can’t wait to get the thing out it should rip the ice up. Anyone else have one they’d like to share there thoughts about it? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

eyeguy 54

drill baby drill! 

• Thumbs Up 1

tinker

Can't go wrong with that set up . I have similar with Milwaukee M18 . I have a converted 6 '' Mora and an 8'' Nils. I have quick connect pins so changing bits is easy. I use the 6'' to find fish and drill an 8'' hole for fishing. You can also drill the 6'' close to the 8 '' for your transducer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

AlwaysFishing23

Everything I’ve heard most guys have had nothing but good things to say about this setup! Can’t wait to try it. Planning on keeping the 8” if I want a bigger hole or chasing other species. Think I might pickup the clam adjustable extension for a little more length so it’s not so short. And maybe a few spare bigger dewalt batteries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

AlwaysFishing23

With the crappy weather this week I decided today was a good day to go for a drive. Lake had 5-6” ice ( top was all honey combed) so the strength was not that great. But none the less ice is still ice. Tried the plate rig out. 26 holes and it still showed full battery. Very happy with the rig totally worth the money and wait no doubt! There was close to zero torque for the operator which will make drilling a lot more enjoyable. I didn’t try the 8” bit but I’d imagine it’s a lot less that it was with just the drill on it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

papadarv

I've had the clam plate for 3 years, started with a DeWalt but didn't like the Chuck which constantly came close rounding the clam plate hex shaft. Moved to a Milwaukee Mud Mixer with a keyed ckuck which held great. Mud Mixer issued is a thermo cut-out that shut the drill down on second or third hole drilled from 2 to 5 min. Finally went to take M18 fuel 2806-20 (1200 ip) 9ah battery. Chuck also occasonally came loose so I removed the chuck, made a chuck adapter and added the ION quick release. Retired the clam plate and made auger bit adapters for the quick release. Made a lot of usefull effective quick connect drills, slush, bank etc. running on my M18 drill.

20191104_120541.thumb.jpg.739fd74b83550cdf307277002d92da31.jpg

20190720_215505.thumb.jpg.1ba24fad2fed619f19a8a9f4cadb8a7d.jpg

20190302_100405.thumb.jpg.78c93647f4fc24baec47befd884129ee.jpg

• l Love It 1

Chill62

Last year we did the Milwaukee with a clam drill plate.  This is the girlfriends auger system so for her Christmas present I got it painted with some cool graphics and a hint of pink so the guys knows who's it is.  Added the spring setup to help keep a more consistent throttle while drilling.  Wish we would have waited a year for the newer model to have the point but it is what it is.  We only have 2 batteries a 2.0 and a 5.0 and last weekend in 7.5-9 inches I got about 10 holes with the 2.0 before it was dead and I was on about 30 when we stopped for the day on the 5.0, we are slowly adding more batteries to the collection but like I said it's her auger so she doesn't drill that many holes.  I know a lot of people will bash the clam plate but the part I like is we spend how much money on an electric drill 200-300 dollars in most situations this drill plate keeps the drill off of the ice and will help protect the drill from elements that may shorten it's life.  

Last year when we went to SD we were fishing with a guide and pro staff member from Clam and he took a ton of the pictures of the plate up the food chain because he thought it was cool.  He informed me at that time that they were told do NOT mount a K-Drill onto a clam plate.  It seems weird that both are owned by the same company but it's just unique and he couldn't get into details but his wife was really excited and wanted to do this for her K-Drill but after that she lost all excitement.

After these pictures were taken we did remove the plastic ice shield and I also took a few passes of electric tape around the allen screw holding it on and I also tapped the allen wrench to the shaft so if I ever have problems I can undo the tape and tighten if needed and the tape will help incase the Allen screw ever comes loose.

20181207_164529.jpg

20181207_164523.jpg

20181207_164434.jpg

20181207_164439.jpg

20181207_164536.jpg

20181207_164554.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

IceHawk

Chill that thing looks awesome bet she was one happy camper getting that !

Chill62

She was very happy to have it and loves showing the guys that think because she is a girl she can't fish or doesn't know what to do.  This helps her be more independent especially early ice when we are scouting areas.  Late ice we have to put it away but it is nice up to about 18 inches of ice.  The company that dipped it had a ton of cool dips that I personally would have liked better but this matches closer to her jacket so thought it was a better fit for her.

• Thumbs Up 3