• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Reports? Twin Cities Metro Area Minnesota

popriveter

I have been looking at iced-over lakes in the NW metro for a couple weeks now, but haven't been brave (or dumb) enough to venture out to check ice thickness yet. 

I imagine the little, shallow lakes have 2-3", but I'm just guessing. Has anyone been out to check any spots around the metro yet, or are we all too "wise"?

• Wow, ❤ 1
popriveter

Long Lake has largely opened back up.

This is me clicking reset on the timer.

• Wow, ❤ 1

I'm gonna drive around town till I find ice that won't kill me. Heard Nekomis is froze over. Too bad my boss wont go out and test the ice for me.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

welcome to fm.  yu must love yer boss. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...
popriveter

I checked out a few small area lakes around the nw metro over the past couple days and found a wide variance in ice thickness. At the north beach on Silver Lake, the ice that was so thin I couldn’t step out to check it. It looked to have opened up with the recent warmup and had since refrozen, but definitely had <2”.

Just a couple miles away, Pike lake in New Brighton had 5”. The lower 3-4 inches are clear and solid while the the top 1-2 is cloudy, but not wet or mushy.

I caught some panfish there. Nothing impressive, but it was fish through ice so I count it a victory.

If the forecast is right, we should be walkable all over the metro by this time next week.

Edited by popriveter
  • Thanks 1

Stopped by Crystal Lake in Burnsville on Sunday and it was wide open. Could have launched a boat. 

• Thanks 1
popriveter
4 hours ago, Getanet said:

Stopped by Crystal Lake in Burnsville on Sunday and it was wide open. Could have launched a boat. 

Thanks for the info. I am surprised at how different the ice is on different lakes right now. Looks like it will stay sketchy through this weekend, but a good deep freeze next week should even it out a lot. The forecast calls for negative temps M-W.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Metro Chain of Lakes

7-8” of solid ice where we fished

12/27/19 at 10pm

24”

E800CF4C-E522-42FA-AA26-CB7D8545283A.jpeg

6428C28E-09B9-4CAD-8C4F-6761C34169A0.jpeg

Edited by kcooley81
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1
On 12/29/2019 at 9:22 AM, kcooley81 said:

Metro Chain of Lakes

7-8” of solid ice where we fished

12/27/19 at 10pm

24”

E800CF4C-E522-42FA-AA26-CB7D8545283A.jpeg

6428C28E-09B9-4CAD-8C4F-6761C34169A0.jpeg

It looks like that is a polar bird  fish house with floor? How do you like it? I just got one off craigslist and have set it up in the yard but haven’t fished it yet. 

Also fished the chain Saturday and found 7-8inches everywhere I looked. Curious how the rain effected the ice though. May wait a day or two for it to firm up again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@Storm Yep it’s a polar bird with the floor. My younger bro bought it last year, it’s great.

May get out again on New Year’s Day, not sure yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Made it out on the chain of lakes yesterday. Roughly 12-13 inches of ice where I was and 3-4 inches of snow on top so the walk out pulling gear wasn't to bad yet but made a big difference compared to clear ice. Bluegills were up shallow still for me with occasional bass mixed in. 

Tried for walleyes last week on lake of isles with no luck besides crappies. Tried anywhere from 12 ft just off weed line to 20 down the breaks. Any recommendations for the minneapolis chain of lakes? Thinking I will try Bde Maka Ska next off some of the nearer to shore structure for evening bite. 

• Thanks 1
Harmie343

Went out to Spring Lake on Wednesday evening. Lots of trucks out on upper prior and spring. Saw a 3/4 ton coming off prior. Probably 14” of ice on spring, left my truck in the parking lot and traveled by car from the winter access. We were targeting walleyes but no cigar. Picked up some perch along the way. 

• I Like it 1