• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunt Reports From Minnesota

rayguy

Just wanted to start a forum where we could post our observations on our hunts in various areas.  I along with five others hunted in the North part of zone 108.   Had a little snow before the opener so could see tracks and areas of deer movement. Checked my stand on Thursday and there was quite a few tracks and even  a fresh scrape nearby.  More troubling though was a pair of wolves leaving tracks around our hunting area.  Even went through our yard early Thursday morning.  Trail cams had lots of different Bucks on them all fall so we had high hopes.  So on to Saturday.  One of my brother in laws dropped a nice 8 point around 8:15 Saturday and that was our high point.  We all sat the rest of the day with no other deer sightings.  Very little shooting in area to be heard and what's worse the weather changed late afternoon.  Sunday dawned cold and dreary with more of the same lack of deer activity, only two does seen by our group. We heard four shots all Sunday.  Monday it was -6 at sunrise and it was a brutal sit that morning.   Everyone reported no new tracks seen and we never heard a shot till almost dark one was heard near a nearby road.  My question did anyone else have this deer vanishing act play out on them?  Maybe the wolves and weather spooked them or maybe the population there is not as high as the Dnr  claims. Anyway the one is all we tagged.  Was also noticed the lack of hunters around the area.  Was a tough hunt.  Any others got a report for us?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

zone 183 we had 2 8pts for 4 guys, both came on Monday the 11th. Saw a few other bucks and a few does. The high light for me was walking to stand on Thursday afternoon to a big bear eating my deer gut pile, i got in stand and he would not leave, shortly before dark I had no choice but to get down and walk backwards away from him. That was a little unnerving. I got to see a bear, a wolf and a bobcat, so that was interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      I’d like to know what you have also.
    • jerkin'm
      I posted some of my not needed ammo on IDO…I could use some steel if you have it too…
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A really good week of fall walleye fishing.  Big numbers of fish being caught.  It should only improve as water temps get cooler.  This fall has been unseasonably warm. Big numbers of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and anglers are catching a lot of fish.   Most anglers are anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Live shiners are available and effective.  There are still a lot of walleyes being caught on spinners with minnows surprisingly.  Trolling crankbaits has also been catching a lot of fish. The best reports are coming from 18-28 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and more and more walleyes are entering the river each week.  Fishing has picked up but most believe when water temps reach the 40's, it will get even better.  Currently, temps are in the low 50's. Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat this time of year.  Some reports of big fish being caught, but not in big numbers... yet.   Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022. Up at the NW Angle...   Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic.  Some strong reports with warmer than normal water of spinners with a minnow or plastic being the hot bait.  Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-30' around various structure. Muskie anglers report good fishing overall.  Trollers reporting mixed results.  One day is great, the other not so much.  Covering water trolling is a strong fall muskie technique and should get better as water cools.    Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Conservation Volunteer magazine, in partnership with Wildlife Forever, will host the 2022 Minnesota Fish Art Contest. Open to students in kindergarten through 12th grade, this free art competition aims to introduce Minnesota youth to the wonders of fish, the joy of fishing, and the importance of aquatic conservation.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting grant applications now through Nov. 16 for projects through its Minnesota’s Lake Superior Coastal Program. Approximately $500,000 will be available for projects to begin fall 2022. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Office for Coastal Management provides the funding for these grants.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Minnesota’s waterways were unusually deadly this year, with 17 people losing their lives in boating-related drownings and crashes—the highest number since 2005. And with weeks of open water left this year, there’s a chance that total could climb higher.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Conservation Volunteer magazine, in partnership with Wildlife Forever, will host the 2022 Minnesota Fish Art Contest. Open to students in kindergarten through 12th grade, this free art competition aims to introduce Minnesota youth to the wonders of fish, the joy of fishing, and the importance of aquatic conservation.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting grant applications now through Nov. 16 for projects through its Minnesota’s Lake Superior Coastal Program. Approximately $500,000 will be available for projects to begin fall 2022. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Office for Coastal Management provides the funding for these grants.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Minnesota’s waterways were unusually deadly this year, with 17 people losing their lives in boating-related drownings and crashes—the highest number since 2005. And with weeks of open water left this year, there’s a chance that total could climb higher.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • leech~~
      Kind of a similar thing and how I got into hunting. It was more of a forgotten item though. I went fishing the St, Frances river by Zimmer with my dad when I was about 16. Some duck hunter had forgotten his hunting ammo box-seat packed full of shells. I didnt have a shot gun but my buddy had an old H&R single 12g. We went up by Cambridge and spent a good part of the day blowing up a few $100s worth of shells at trees and craap! 😁

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.