• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chain Ice Reports

Horseshoe_Don

I went out last Saturday as well.  Noticed two trucks parked on the Cedar side of the winter access, both a a decent amount of water under them.  I'm still going to the cabin on Horseshoe and walking.  But, I think I need to bring the wheeler or sled next time.  darn, that walking is getting old.  Plus, I have a hefty walk up the hill to where I park.  I also noticed a pretty large group of guys(10-12) in south end of Horseshoe when I got out, and they all made the journey back to the summer landing.  

I saw the same ice conditions as others mentioned, 12" where I was.  

Anyways, I like to do the late afternoon evening bite.  Popped a few holes, and hunkered down.  Saw quiet a few fish on the finder, had a bite almost right after dropping the line, but missed it.  Then, only a few more bites, and lost one fish.  I was jigging and dead sticking in 28FOW.  

I might have to try and explore a bit more when the sled next time out, and hope for more success.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mnicerookie said:

Any updated ice conditions for the area? In particular, Horseshoe? Thanks!

As of yesterday there was 18-20inches on most of the chain.  Travel has been pretty easy as there isnt much snow and only a few slushy spots

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I have drilled at least one hole that had only 12" in the last week.   But most 16" +

Don

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up. The Meth hole is open in it's normal area. I noticed 2 sled tracks where one ski was literally 1" away from the hole. Be careful people. 

• Thanks 2

Talked to a CO yesterday by Becker Lake. He said a sled went through the other day. Possibly trying to retrace his path across a spot of open water. This was in the channel between Horseshoe and Long.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dave S said:

Talked to a CO yesterday by Becker Lake. He said a sled went through the other day. Possibly trying to retrace his path across a spot of open water. This was in the channel between Horseshoe and Long.

yea that channel, especially close to the bridge is NEVER EVER safe!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Oh the old Camp woody ,cow bridge area. Crazy you can just about run a boat in that area almost every winter. Smurfy remember the old  Balsams Resort  where you put money in a mailbox to access long back in the days ? Bought a few 12 packs of soda ? from him back in the day no ID required if you know what I mean.?  Hopefully he wasn't water skipping like they did on the years Becker lake had the aeroation system. 

• Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Oh the old Camp woody ,cow bridge area. Crazy you can just about run a boat in that area almost every winter. Smurfy remember the old  Balsams Resort  where you put money in a mailbox to access long back in the days ? Bought a few 12 packs of soda ? from him back in the day no ID required if you know what I mean.?  Hopefully he wasn't water skipping like they did on the years Becker lake had the aeroation system. 

yea I do!!!!!!! but I  didn't buy any pop!!!!!!!!?? 

• Yayyyy 1

I was out over the weekend on one of the more protected lakes. Ice was 16-18" and we were all over the lake. Bite was slow, but found enough to keep us entertained. All were released and it was a great weekend weatherwise 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Was out today and there were places with 3" of water on the ice.   Drilled holes and it looked like a bath tub draining,    Ice is getting weak and was coming out with some chards vs nice shavings.  Marked very few fish

Don

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Was out today and there were places with 3" of water on the ice.   Drilled holes and it looked like a bath tub draining,    Ice is getting weak and was coming out with some chards vs nice shavings.  Marked very few fish

Don

Wow, I took a drive around the chain today and there was a truck out on Brown's.

• Thanks 1

There were at least 10 trucks out there this afternoon from reports I got. 

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I was getting a little nervous with my little suv. ?

• Yayyyy 1

I brought my venny trimmings to plantenbergs this morning and decided to drive by the chain. looks to me like most the access points are done as far as even ATV traffic. looked like some open water. the few that were out on the ice hoofed it!!!!!!! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can now get from the 22 access to the meth hole if anyone wants to fish kittys from a boat.

Don

• Thanks 1

Don Thanks for the report  ? Last few days noticed  its really opening up there. Access doesn't seem to flooded yet. Might see a few boats in the next week. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Don Thanks for the report  ? Last few days noticed  its really opening up there. Access doesn't seem to flooded yet. Might see a few boats in the next week. 

Especially if mrpike reads this. ? I may need to take a drive tomorrow.

Thanks for the reports. I may go if the wind goes down today may need to pet a few kitties today!

took a drive around the chain today. the river system is pretty much all open. I did notice from the cty rd 49 bridge out to the west still had ice however. there were a couple people out on scheider but that culvert by the resort area was pretty wide open. there was also someone out on cedar island..he walked out.

fully expected with the wind yesterday to see the ice from the meth hole area to be piled up on the shore but it wasn't. the channel from horseshoe to long was also wide open. 

as I was driving around I was plotting of some areas were to maybe fish right after ice out, and it got me thinking about that bay over by becker, the one just west of the 23 bridge. I've noticed in the past noone fishing in the bay lately??????? so did the catfish take that over???????? man that used to an awesome spot in the spring before it got weedy.

• I Like it 1

56 minutes ago, smurfy said:

as I was driving around I was plotting of some areas were to maybe fish right after ice out, and it got me thinking about that bay over by becker, the one just west of the 23 bridge. I've noticed in the past noone fishing in the bay lately??????? so did the catfish take that over???????? man that used to an awesome spot in the spring before it got weedy.

That first bay on Becker can be very good... but hasn't the last few yrs. 

Been lots of smalls in there.

If your looking for a decent spot to hit from shore... try that first bay off Forest Hill rd. (Cedar Island) it can be a good one soon after ice out?

Edited by Rick G
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

That first bay on Becker can be very good... but hasn't the last few yrs. 

Been lots of smalls in there.

If your looking for a decent spot to hit from shore... try that first bay off Forest Hill rd. (Cedar Island) it can be a good one soon after ice out?

I would go by boat to some of these spots. I just don't see many people lately fishing there. And I was referring to the little bag that butts up close to the highway.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the ice between the 22 bridge and the river channel which would open up a lot of lakes.   Could be another 72 hours for that.    Most of shoe will not be accessible by boat for quite some time yet.   Could be a wile for becker yet too but its melting on both ends.  A good warm sunny windy day would help.

Don

• Thanks 1

Smurfy,  that bay on Becker by the bridge is money when the water is high.  If it low it just doesn't seem to get many in there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I would go by boat to some of these spots. I just don't see many people lately fishing there. And I was referring to the little bag that butts up close to the highway.

The one you are talking about down by the old boy scout land  rarely gets fished anymore. It was one of the best back in the days before the new bridge got built  Usally to shallow and full of scum weeds now. If you didn't get down there early you would be lucky to find a shore spot to fish. I bet you remember driving on to Becker down that hill we all did it for years now they cross the river to get out there boy have times changed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Borscht... I would bet it could be good this year. I'm hoping to check it out.

Icehawk... Oh yea, I remember, made a few trips down that hill myself.? I'm hoping to get the boat out of moms shed this week.

Edited by smurfy
  • I Like it 1

Yeah, launched a few boats there too when we used smaller lighter rigs.  Was always best when the water was into the woods and hit them there good about 4-5 years ago when it was high.  Tough landing the boat with the river ripping though.

• Thumbs Up 1