• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chain Ice Reports

Horseshoe_Don

crazy, thanks for the heads up icehawk..........i'd blame the Russians!!!!!! i typically dont head out till i can drive anyway!!!!!

13 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Well have some bad news for the parking situations along Horseshoe and Cedar island Hwy 22 area.  Basically where everyone drives walks on in the winter. Mn dot put up no parking signs along the whole streatch from Mud lake to the end of Mertens bay basically there is room for bout 3 vehicles now at most in the last corner towards Richmond.. The sheriffs department has been issueing warning tickets for now to all those who have attempted to park along there. Its a bummer because it was a great walk on spot early ice for years . In fact I've personally parked along there for 30 plus years ☹️ Dont know the reasoning other than a safety factor i'm guessing,. But kind of understand. It use to be 5-7 vehicles along there and sometimes now on weekends its well over 20 plus kind of bites as there really is no easy way to access either area now. 

darn, I saw the sheriff out on Saturday with his lights on while on my way to the cabin. He was close to the 22 bridge at the time, and two vehicles were there, figured it had to be something regarding parking on the side of the road. 

That's honestly too bad. But, I guess it could be a safety thing for people not familiar with the area and not expecting to see parked cars along the road. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Update first two trucks parked tonight on the ice out of the Horseshoe winter access. Let the games begin ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Update first two trucks parked tonight on the ice out of the Horseshoe winter access. Let the games begin ?

weeee

4 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Wow, crazy to be parking on the lake already.  I was planning on checking out the chain this weekend and get my brother on his first ice cat, but if parking is now illegal, not sure what to do.  Is the river access still accessible?  Of there's the question of whether or not it is safe to walk on, but not sure if anyone would recommend that...

• Wow, ❤ 1

10 hours ago, srohang1 said:

Wow, crazy to be parking on the lake already.  I was planning on checking out the chain this weekend and get my brother on his first ice cat, but if parking is now illegal, not sure what to do.  Is the river access still accessible?  Of there's the question of whether or not it is safe to walk on, but not sure if anyone would recommend that...

you DO NOT EVER want to use the river access to get to horseshoe...……….. EVER.....EVER...……….

• Thumbs Up 3

49 minutes ago, smurfy said:

you DO NOT EVER want to use the river access to get to horseshoe...……….. EVER.....EVER...……….

Thank you for the warning smurfy.  Any ideas on how to access the chain by walking on?

Great advice smurfy! Thanks for helping out I'm on the lake takeing a break?

• Yayyyy 2

19 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Great advice smurfy! Thanks for helping out I'm on the lake takeing a break?

fish for Christmas dinner?????????

your on break all winter...……...but I sure as heck don't want your summer hours!!!!!!! 

• Yayyyy 1

Saw at least a dozen vehicles illegally parked today by the winter access.    I think this is dumb as it forces people to find other parking and the summer access was full, which leads me to believe people were walking to shoe from there,'

'

I should call the sheriff and tell them how they are endangering lives.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree Don really  opening  up a can of worms with the no parking signs. I agree putting people in risk. I almost guarantee someone will drive up from the HWY 22 public access up the river channel to venture into Horseshoe. What I think is terrible is the chain is one of the best multi species fisheries around and unfortunately the access points are limited and in bad areas for winter travel. Like you said high risk areas to get to fishable water.  If you get a hold of them Don please post back what you find out. 

• I Like it 1

8 hours ago, smurfy said:

with the no parking signs along the winter access...…..nope, not unless you know some landowners!!!!

Thanks smurfy.  Actually talked to a few landowners and they weren't willing to allow access.  While I cannot recommend to anyone to do river access due to safety concerns and always changing ice conditions, we did it today and got to horseshoe.  We took a huge risk but followed tracks.  At this point, I am waiting until it is drivable until we get some drivable ice.  We caught some decent cats.  Our best jigs got cut off by some big ones so we left early.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I called and talked to a deputy sheriff and told them of the problem.    He said they do not put up signs and kinda tried to pass the buck then agreed to run it up the ladder after I pointed out the safety issues.    We will see where it goes.   I told him I do not use these area since I live on the lake and just dont want to see anybody get hurt.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

just got done with a scenic drive past the chain. people scattered all over. and yea the parking signs.? there are people going from the river access to horseshoe. not good. 

there was a fair amount of activity on the south end of long. schneider had some activity in the channel, as there also was 2 wheelhouses around the point in the bay by the resort.

someone musta caught a fish on grand cause there were people scattered all over that lake!!!!

• Yayyyy 1

Now there parking half way up the HWY in the corners creating more of a safety issue. Man they really dropped the ball on this one Heck  of a lot safer on the straight stretch where we use to park IMO.  Sounded like the warden was there assisting  the Sheriff when tickets were getting handed out. I plan on discussing this with him soon as I know him well see what solutions  maybe can be resolved. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds like  home owners along the road want the No parking.  If some one was interested in making a few bucks they could offer access through their yards if the shoreline was flat enough.  There was a guy on Norway that made good money selling access to the lake thru his yard, even had the shoreline blacktopped for the winter. Plus sold bait, as an extra, hid daughter was a classmate, saying her parents made some good money doing that until a new lake access was put in by the dnr.

with the lakes on both sides pretty close to the road, and essentially not any homeowners along that stretch I doubt its that. I believe these fishermen are parking in the road right a way.

I was heading over to my walleye spot this afternoon and saw the sheriff handing out ticket and not warnings.    I went over and talked to him and it was the same deputy i talked to on the phone and he gave me an vibe that he does not really care what problems he is causes.   He appeared to just want his ticket revenue.   No warnings today.

Saw a lot of nice eyes on camera and did catch a few but saw hundreds of nice sunnies.   If there was not a walleye in the hole there were 2-8 sunnies in view.

Don

• Thanks 1

I see the Stearns County sheriffs department posted a picture of a wheeler and trailer that went in on horseshoe. Looks like it’s right about where the river goes into the lake. Sure wish those no parking signs weren’t there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw that pic. The  same place as I've seen two vehicles go down over the  years..  The other day there were probably 20 vehicles parked at the public Access. No one is ventureing into Becker yet so sadly all the fisherman parked here are heading up the river to access the catfish holes and this is what happens. With the warmer temps we have been having lately the current flow is increasing and deteriorating the ice through this area. Its traveling a river up to Horseshoe so bad things can happen. .  Unfortunately I expect more of this to come out there. Hopefully no one drowns. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That's sad. To bad the sheriff department doesn't put up a sign at that river access informing fishermen that it's absolutely not safe to travel to horseshoe from that access point. They, ve been told the no parking signs would create this issue.

Guess I haven't seen that picture???

Stearns County sheriffs department, is all about the money. They don't give at rats BUT about the issues they may cause.  Their total idea is if the ice isn't thick enough to drive on don't fish.  Yet these same cops maybe the guys called on the drag a lake looking for a body.  Access to the lakes are in some really bad spots. If only the DNR could do something to help.

Hate to say it but I don't think they will do anything until they find a body or get a lawsuit filed against them.

Don

• Thanks 1

The chain has between 5-8 inches depending on where you go.    Just now drilling holes without a geyser.    Now we have 6+ inches of very heavy wet snow coming and it will be back to water everywhere.    Feel sorry for the guys that spent a load on a big wheel house,  who knows if the ice will ever be safe here for them.

Don

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

The chain has between 5-8 inches depending on where you go.    Just now drilling holes without a geyser.    Now we have 6+ inches of very heavy wet snow coming and it will be back to water everywhere.    Feel sorry for the guys that spent a load on a big wheel house,  who knows if the ice will ever be safe here for them.

Don

Sorry all. I jinx it and bought a wheelhouse. Always said the year I buy one will have s#!tty ice.

• Yayyyy 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:57 PM, Huntin&Fishin said:

Sorry all. I jinx it and bought a wheelhouse. Always said the year I buy one will have s#!tty ice.

Yep its all your fault?

• Yayyyy 2

I get more use from my wheel house during the open water season.  I had the same thing, sister-in-law came back to Minnesota, from South Africa. We could have used the boat to fish Lake Pulaski in Buffalo that winter. Her Boy friend had never seen snow was a great time showing him the toys we have. ( Snowblower, snowshoeing driving on ice on a lake, and snowmobiles.

I still have two flip overs,  but we enjoy going on winter trips with wheelhouse, whether on ice or warm sand beaches.

This weather is great for hunting and trapping though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Well Yesterday I decided to stay closer to home and fish in my backyard the chain. Found great ice conditons 10-11 inch average in the areas I fished. From my experience the big 3 on the chain were mostly slush free. Drove my wheeler all over with no problems. Catfish are on a tear and the anglers are after them in full force. Looks like  blood bath in certain areas. Hats off to the people fishing the cats very impressed how clean you have been keeping the areas your fishing trash mess etc has been very minimal. Thank you! Found a bunch of panfish on all three lakes what Im seeing now is the crappies are slipping into the troughs and deeper basins out there, Sunfish are moveing out form the weedy bays and starting to slowly filter out to mid lake structure with Isolated weed growth. Far as eye fishing out there it's been tough sledding this winter a few respectable fish comeing topside but a lot of small 8-13 inch shorts for the future great to see. . VMC tingler Goldfish Glow has been my lure of choice this winter for best production on the eyes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Found the same ice conditions out there.    Walleye bit has been tough, but the sunfish bite is the strongest i have seen in years.   I have also iced a few really nice largemouth which are my favorite fish to eat.

Seen quite a few truck parked on the ice and sinking the last few days along the shore line.

Don 

• Thumbs Up 2