• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chain Ice Reports

Horseshoe_Don

On 1/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, smurfy said:

Does chuck still own the place??? Haven't seen him in years and I bought all my boots from him and his dad. Kinda sad he quit selling boots.

Smurfy: yes he does. He and his wife are so helpful and friendly. Which is the way a lot of the small businesses are like out here. So wished i could move up to the lake permanently.

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

they are good folks and try very hard to help when looking to buy from them!!  

Yea they always went out of there way to make you a happy customer. But one has to wonder what old Milty, chucks dad would think about what he did with the business ?

took a drive around the chain today. people are scattered all over with vehicles on the ice and some parked along the shoreline.

heard a lake out by new london with a foot of ice and there taking 1/2 ton trucks out........?

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

took a drive around the chain today. people are scattered all over with vehicles on the ice and some parked along the shoreline.

heard a lake out by new london with a foot of ice and there taking 1/2 ton trucks out........?

12 inches and it’s game on for most.  We do have great ice this year for what is there.  Not saying it’s all good - everyone is taking their chances with it!  

I’m reasonably cautious and do my own ice checks but have been on less ice than I would’ve believed only a few years ago.  Slow and easy...

We were on Winnie over the weekend with a FB group my wife has been a member of, Hard Water Kampers (HWK).  153 wheelhouses checked into the event.  Some 1 tons with plows and giant tandem axle houses down to more normal fare in a reserved area on the lake out of Highbanks Resort.  17-18 inches of ice and only a few sites showed any water problems.  Almost everyone obeyed the 10 mph speed limit to a T.  I did experience the wave we can cause though at the shore staging area with a couple big trucks coming off a little fast.  Pretty obvious how the ice can blow up by someone and then it be weak for another following behind later.

I’ll have to say I was impressed with how the organizers handled their event with the support of Highbanks.  

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

12 inches and it’s game on for most.  We do have great ice this year for what is there.  Not saying it’s all good - everyone is taking their chances with it!  

I’m reasonably cautious and do my own ice checks but have been on less ice than I would’ve believed only a few years ago.  Slow and easy...

We were on Winnie over the weekend with a FB group my wife has been a member of, Hard Water Kampers (HWK).  153 wheelhouses checked into the event.  Some 1 tons with plows and giant tandem axle houses down to more normal fare in a reserved area on the lake out of Highbanks Resort.  17-18 inches of ice and only a few sites showed any water problems.  Almost everyone obeyed the 10 mph speed limit to a T.  I did experience the wave we can cause though at the shore staging area with a couple big trucks coming off a little fast.  Pretty obvious how the ice can blow up by someone and then it be weak for another following behind later.

I’ll have to say I was impressed with how the organizers handled their event with the support of Highbanks.  

did you have one of Kim's bloody marys???? num num. i usually go out of highbanks if i hit winnie, got to know kim and rick well, but its been a while!!!!!!!? there good peoples!!!!!1

no fish report????????????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

did you have one of Kim's bloody marys???? num num. i usually go out of highbanks if i hit winnie, got to know kim and rick well, but its been a while!!!!!!!? there good peoples!!!!!1

no fish report????????????

Naw, I didn’t.  There wasn’t really much for hanging out inside.  Rick was coaching everyone up the access today though.  Had to tow some according to reports.  We made it up fine.

DC03504C-D9C9-4C5C-B162-0F24BC363A97.jpeg.9f0326cdf1df4b12d3f67cdd3eba0aba.jpegF66D9AA2-2A88-4A63-A8BF-9C1A0365043D.jpeg.77010ca274dfc2a4e6fe7de1edab08ed.jpeg

DA04E635-9FED-4FED-844B-756ABA7C49C7.jpeg.8a17db1c98923e9e4a8a0dc060c5de51.jpeg

LOTS of small walleyes to go around but several people iced 20” plus fish.  I lost one heavy fish at 5:30 this morning - pulled too hard after setting the hook; the line stretched and the fish didn’t move much.  Pike showed up but most went back due to the slot.  Perch were on the light side for keepers but kept things going.  Most action was in 20-22 fow either on top of a bar or the top of the breaks.

I went out to 32 fow and marked some tullibees but they wouldn’t chase.  Caught some more perch but had to keep them all due to the barotrauma.

Burnt orange was our best jig or hook color.   Caught fish on crappie jigs and minnows, chubs and one on a sucker.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3

sweet? next time up i might head that way. cabin is 45 minutes from there.  yea there access can be interesting at times!!!!!!

my wife and i stayed in the cabin just to the right of the landing by the lake a couple times. cabin 11, it has a wood fireplace.!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

After getting skunked last night, changed to a different gps location tonight. Found a sharp drop and the cats didnt disappoint. I was out for about 5hrs and the vex was still showing fish. 

20210123_201818.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Another weekend of fishing on the chain in the books. Yes people are driving on. But beware, seen people driving near the meth hole. 

Fishing was okay but there were alot of people out. I just stayed away from the crowds. 

Eyes were comin through also. Ended up catching 4 that were good eaters. Plus put a nice 24" back and a couple of 10" ones.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Seen plenty of cats but they are skittish.  Had to downsize to get bit and keep the bait still.  Some nice eyes if you know where to look.  Found 17-20" of ice where we fished.   We waited until Sunday afternoon to go out when 90% of the crowds were gone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:02 AM, Borch said:

Seen plenty of cats but they are skittish.  Had to downsize to get bit and keep the bait still.  Some nice eyes if you know where to look.  Found 17-20" of ice where we fished.   We waited until Sunday afternoon to go out when 90% of the crowds were gone. 

Long time.no see. I have found a few interesting spots out there this years. I get the whole downsizing. Only issue i have been having is that a certain lure i am using does not stand up to cats. I have 4 now in my box with one of the hooks on the treble broken off. Averaging about 2 fish before they break. The large size lures are better as they have stronger trebles.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good seeing you around. I've had good luck on the clam dive bombs, smaller sweet pea spoons or vmc chandelier jigs.  Upside the treble hook and have extras in your box.  Kitties are very tough on hooks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been using the Flutter Leech. They are hitting all of the glow colors. Just getting hard to find them. Tend to do my shopping at Fleet Farm as my oldest works there so get it on discount.

• Thumbs Up 1

took a drive around the chain, looks like a few people out and actually surprised at the amount of portables out. lot more permy's out then my last drive. i seen a truck crossing the river from becker to the access.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

took a drive around the chain, looks like a few people out and actually surprised at the amount of portables out. lot more permy's out then my last drive. i seen a truck crossing the river from becker to the access.

one good thing about this cold snap... I will feel a little better about driving out now? It's sure been a strange winter with the thinner than normal ice conditions we're having 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Rick G said:

one good thing about this cold snap... I will feel a little better about driving out now? It's sure been a strange winter with the thinner than normal ice conditions we're having 

Yea I might venture out now. Midweek too. Just gotta figure out where to go.??

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Yea I might venture out now. Midweek too. Just gotta figure out where to go.??

I'm in the same boat. No clue where to go, plenty of lakes, just can't pin point the crappies 

Edited by Huntin&Fishin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Just try and move if you don’t find them. Keep moving you will find fish 

1 hour ago, Huntin&Fishin said:

I'm in the same boat. No clue where to go, plenty of lakes, just can't pin point the crappies 

Don't feel bad, I haven't really been able to nail down an awesome basin bite on the Chain in a few weeks... I have however found some nice ones tucked up in the cabbage pockets on a couple of the lakes out there

Edited by Rick G
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Might have to burn up a one pounder out there Wednesday. Not sure if I can survive more than a week with no holes drilled. Maybe even Monday for a bit. 

Edited by eyeguy 54

I wish i could get back out. Wife has asked for me to stay home this weekend. I hate being in the cities. Would love just to leave work and head out on the lakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

momma insisted on heading out to Dino's for there sunday brunch, so of course that meant a drive past the lakes. the ice is starting to turn dark. noone at the river access and becker looked abondoned, so did horseshoe for that matter. there where a few out from the landing on eden lake, but there were 4 trucks out on cedar island..just where the lake opens up. there goofy!!!

there was 1 small vehicle out on long and a few wheelers on the south end but noone out by the island by cozy's.  browns had some wheelers out.

Edited by smurfy
  • Yayyyy 1

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

momma insisted on heading out to Dino's for there sunday brunch, so of course that meant a drive past the lakes. the ice is starting to turn dark. noone at the river access and becker looked abondoned, so did horseshoe for that matter. there where a few out from the landing on eden lake, but there were 4 trucks out on cedar island..just where the lake opens up. there goofy!!!

there was 1 small vehicle out on long and a few wheelers on the south end but noone out by the island by cozy's.  browns had some wheelers out.

so now we're getting reports from a guy who to the best of my knowledge has never actually been fishing???....

Here's the real scoop, Access points are all pretty much shot for vehicle traffic... Wheelers and by foot from here on out. Once you get on the ice, it's fine. the Chain still has over 2 ft of solid hard ice yet. It's the shorelines that are getting all day sun that will go first.

The fish are really starting to put the feed bag on the last few days. While you will still see fish out deep, the shallows are really starting come to life. The last two days I have been fishing very shallow,  and seeing fish over the tops of the weeds, right under the ice in some holes.

• Wow, ❤ 1