Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

       
       "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

      Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

      Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

      EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

      Have Fun!!!

eyeguy 54

Plastics

Recommended Posts

leech~~

But what brands? How are we suppose to know which ones to buy from? 😕

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyeguy 54

if I don't put the brands in post you wont say kick back!  LOL  ;)

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monstermoose78

You get kick backs too Eyeguy

  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer
13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

But what brands? How are we suppose to know which ones to buy from? 😕


Go shopping! 😎  I don’t carry as many plastics as these guys do but I recognize more than half of them.  Try Clam and Impulse for starters.

  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sculpin

There are allot of great ones out there, and some cool new ones coming out this year, as Wanderer says, go shopping. What works for one person may not for another. Depends on how you fish them, jig wt. line wt. colors, sizes, etc. and your ability to try them, stick with them, and gain confidence with the presentation.  Good luck !!

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
47 minutes ago, Sculpin said:

There are allot of great ones out there, and some cool new ones coming out this year, as Wanderer says, go shopping. What works for one person may not for another. Depends on how you fish them, jig wt. line wt. colors, sizes, etc. and your ability to try them, stick with them, and gain confidence with the presentation.  Good luck !!

 

Are you new here?  eyeguy knows I was pulling his leg.  🤫

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer
38 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

 

Are you new here?  eyeguy knows I was pulling his leg.  🤫


But you looked so sad in your post.... 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
35 minutes ago, Wanderer said:


But you looked so sad in your post.... 🙃

 

That's call, for effect!  🤭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyeguy 54
2 hours ago, Sculpin said:

There are allot of great ones out there, and some cool new ones coming out this year, as Wanderer says, go shopping. What works for one person may not for another. Depends on how you fish them, jig wt. line wt. colors, sizes, etc. and your ability to try them, stick with them, and gain confidence with the presentation.  Good luck !!

 

Great advice!  I was a sceptic about the plastics and had a hard time putting the red euros away. Gaining confidence and having a couple good teachers is key.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucketcastle

@eyeguy 54, looks like a good variety.  I've been slow getting into plastics.  Picked up some 1" plastic minnows today along with plastic waxies.  Going to give it a descent try this year.  I have had good luck using small dough balls (nibbles) on various jigs for panfish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kunzi26

I used almost exclusively plastics last year for crappies and they were usually more consistent than minnows or wax. Though I will say that my buddy seemed to always get the biggest crappie of the day on the minnow. 13 Fishing has some good ones that worked well last year for me. A bit pricey but held up better than other brands I've tried. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
popriveter
On 11/8/2019 at 6:55 PM, kunzi26 said:

I used almost exclusively plastics last year for crappies and they were usually more consistent than minnows or wax. Though I will say that my buddy seemed to always get the biggest crappie of the day on the minnow. 13 Fishing has some good ones that worked well last year for me. A bit pricey but held up better than other brands I've tried. 

I find that the sunfish-to-crappie ratio skews toward more sunfish when fishing waxies or spikes and skews toward more crappies when when fishing plastics.

I fish plastics as much as bait, but I don't have enough confidence in them to go out without bait. I'm getting closer every year.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick
8 hours ago, popriveter said:

I find that the sunfish-to-crappie ratio skews toward more sunfish when fishing waxies or spikes and skews toward more crappies when when fishing plastics.

I fish plastics as much as bait, but I don't have enough confidence in them to go out without bait. I'm getting closer every year.

I built confidence in plastics by going without bait. Amazing what you learn to do when plastics and artificials are your only options.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyeguy 54

Yep. Leave the bait home and jiggle jiggle jiggle. 🐟🐟🐟

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CigarGuy

Please show some pics of good crappie plastics. Good thing is one scoop of minnows will stay alive forever in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyeguy 54

Some plastics will last thru many crappies. Some maybe one. 😁 Slug bugs. Mayflies. Wishbones. Wedgees

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CigarGuy

Does scented make a difference? How about some different ones for walleyes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick
14 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Does scented make a difference? How about some different ones for walleyes?

I've used both and haven't seen a significant advantage for either. So for ice fishing with plastics it's usually not scented.

 

Just trying to hold the rod still in your hand can give the plastic enough realism/movement to cause a curious fish to inhale it.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Sawyer
3 hours ago, Rick said:

I've used both and haven't seen a significant advantage for either. So for ice fishing with plastics it's usually not scented.

 

In fact, I can't think of a company that doesn't add scent in their products, either during the production, or at least adding a scented oil before packaging, usally with actual plastic baits. There are some good ones too, but all are scented with oil before packaging. 

I think there needs to be clarity in "plastic". I am a believer in using more of the actually formulated with fish food. These are way beyond just being scented. Fish smell it, and actually want to eat it. Examples, Impulse, Powerbait, and TriggerX, which have been proven to catch more fish, side by side, to plain "plastic".

Been adding liquid scent to spoons, rip baits and even live minnows, to help intice more bites for years. Scent works.  Hand soap during the cold water periods is just as important to hide human scent. Cold water is very dense, and holds scent, both good and bad 😉

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick
46 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

 

In fact, I can't think of a company that doesn't add scent in their products, either during the production, or at least adding a scented oil before packaging, usally with actual plastic baits. There are some good ones too, but all are scented with oil before packaging. 

I think there needs to be clarity in "plastic". I am a believer in using more of the actually formulated with fish food. These are way beyond just being scented. Fish smell it, and actually want to eat it. Examples, Impulse, Powerbait, and TriggerX, which have been proven to catch more fish, side by side, to plain "plastic".

Been adding liquid scent to spoons, rip baits and even live minnows, to help intice more bites for years. Scent works.  Hand soap during the cold water periods is just as important to hide human scent. Cold water is very dense, and holds scent, both good and bad 😉

Good thought Tom. My main point is I don't worry about the scent when fishing for panfish, especially in clearer water. I believe the type of movement you impart on the lure is much more important in both attracting and triggering a strike.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Sawyer

Cadence, and lack there of is important. Been trying to put all the pieces together, ever since I could handle a spud bar. 

My buds can usually smell be down wind from all the bottles of scent I have on me 😜

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceHawk

A little tip for those that want to add a little scent to your unscented  plastics naturally. Take a bait puck grab some of the plastics you want to use for the day and add couple minnows to puck or a few euro larvae or waxworms. Doesn't get any more natural than that.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucketcastle
10 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

A little tip for those that want to add a little scent to your unscented  plastics naturally. Take a bait puck grab some of the plastics you want to use for the day and add couple minnows to puck or a few euro larvae or waxworms. Doesn't get any more natural than that.  

This I will definitely try this season.  Thank you for the tip @IceHawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceHawk

Another option for those that don't have bait laying around or don't want to buy any is to buy a bottle of Berkley gulp recharge and add a little to a bait puck or plastic bag with your plastics for the day.  I myself never go on the ice without a puck with some kind of meat. Call me crazy  but  I've seen situations where it has outperformed plastics.  Fortunately for myself I have a bait fridge in the garage with euro and waxies and a insulated aeroated minnow tank with minnows all winter. A Minnie bait store so to say.😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Sawyer

Hey Chris what about the tip on putting your favorite concoction in a generic spray bottle to keep it secret, while you proceed to school everyone at the Catfish Get Together 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Borch

I rarely use live bait anymore unless I'm gonna use 2 rods.  Plastics, gulp,  tied tungsten flies, jigging raps,  rippin raps, darters... the list goes on.  There has been a few times though that a minnow head on a spoon out produced anything I had.  Good thing I had a buddy who borrowed me a few. 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyeguy 54

good tips guys. indeed a good idea to bring some meat along. I find myself using it less and less but good to have in the pocket. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IceHawk
17 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Hey Chris what about the tip on putting your favorite concoction in a generic spray bottle to keep it secret, while you proceed to school everyone at the Catfish Get Together 😆

Got a few bottles sitting on the shelf right now just wqiting to fire up some of those ice kitty cats. Unfortunately Tom I cant no pun intended let the cat out of the bag on this one. Those secret ingrediants that I've come up with over the years will have to remain a secret 😀 It does work that's  for sure.

 

  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • leech~~
      One thing that's interesting being at a Seasonal resort all summer is watching how so many folks clean and fillet their fish in the cleaning shack.  And all the different fillet knives folks have. You can really pick-up some good hints.  I'm probably more like Wanderer in that I just spent hours in a boat catching these fish. I take my time to do the best job I can at filleting them out.  I do marvel at one of my buddies pan fish filleting.  Freaky-fast and clean!  😁
    • leech~~
      How many holes today?  By the looks of the size, may be you should have stayed home? 🤭
    • eyeguy 54
      Future monster if the catfish don’t eat it. Lol
    • eyeguy 54
      I use them to bone out and trim venny also.  Perfect knife for it. The electric I have found works nice on ribs. I think the cutco is probably about 35 years old also. Not 30. Had it sharpened a few years back by the rep here. Cool knife she said. 😁
    • Tom Sawyer
      Second, but would be willing to change if I owed a skins zit. Most of my fish are cleaned with a 6" rubber handled rap. Use a 4" for walleye cheeks, and also have a larger one for big northerns.    Mmmm, those gills were good tonight. I did get a Cutco, for a gift a while back, decent knife. Just comfortable with the newer Raps, prefer rubber over the wood for handles.  I know I must have quite a few fillet knives, but none as old as that cutco eyeguy has.... That adjustment comes in handy for large gators on the Cutco.   
    • smurfy
      I fillet around the rib bones right away. And I have my own unique way of doing pike. Don't ask.😊
    • Rick
      I'm same as you Icehawk
    • Xplorer
      I have a Cutco and a Rapala electric that I use 99% of the time.   If I use the electric, I do it the first way, but I leave it attached to the tail to take off the fillet.   When I use the Cutco I usually do it the second way.  I also have 2 regular rapalas.  One old wood handled 5” and a rubber handled 7” that I got my son to learn to fillet with.  The 5” gets used a ton in the house for all kinds of things. Used it last weekend to slice a veni roast up for making jerky.  It’s a sweet little rig that can get in all the tight spots.  
    • Huntin&Fishin
      Sent you a PM IceHawk
    • eyeguy 54
      Bottom one is 35 years old. Cutco I got about 30 years ago. Still a great knife. Can’t throw the old ones away lol
×
×
  • Create New...