• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Bryan P

Getting Ready For Early Ice!

Bryan P

It has been a busy summer and haven't posted much but I am excited for early ice this year. Got the gear down and I am ready. Bring on these cold temps ahead! Who else is getting ready? Oh ya, gotta go deer hunting first though. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

AlwaysFishing23

For sure I’m ready Bryan! Thinking my first trip out will be around the 16th, smaller lakes are almost all capped but most are not much more than a skim. And medium lakes are still ice free. Look forward to another season of your ice fishing videos! Ooh and you will LOVE that otter Hub! I bought a XTH cabin mid season last year and don’t have a Single bad thing to say about it, just an awesome house hands down. Can’t beat the otter thermal Tec either 

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis

Its only a matter of time before someone risks their life to sneak on some early, questionable ice.  Be safe and don't be one of those guys.  The ice will be there until March.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bucketcastle

I was just putting new line on ice reels today.  Getting the gear out of buckets all untangled also.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bryan P
On 11/6/2019 at 7:52 AM, AlwaysFishing23 said:

For sure I’m ready Bryan! Thinking my first trip out will be around the 16th, smaller lakes are almost all capped but most are not much more than a skim. And medium lakes are still ice free. Look forward to another season of your ice fishing videos! Ooh and you will LOVE that otter Hub! I bought a XTH cabin mid season last year and don’t have a Single bad thing to say about it, just an awesome house hands down. Can’t beat the otter thermal Tec either 

Awesome, I think you should be out by then too on the smaller lakes. I am hoping to get out this weekend somewhere. Film my first ice vid, glad you been enjoying them. Excited to use my Otter too, like you said, nothing bad to say about them. Well good luck when you adventure out and be safe! 

Bryan P
On 11/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, gimruis said:

Its only a matter of time before someone risks their life to sneak on some early, questionable ice.  Be safe and don't be one of those guys.  The ice will be there until March.

Agreed, there's going be alot of ice season ahead, no need to be first. Safety first. 

• Thanks 1

Bryan P
On 11/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, Bucketcastle said:

I was just putting new line on ice reels today.  Getting the gear out of buckets all untangled also.

Perfect, your going want to do that with the cold temps ahead, wont be long. Goodluck this season

gimruis
On 11/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, Bryan P said:

Agreed, there's going be alot of ice season ahead, no need to be first. Safety first. 

Heard there was a group of anglers on URL last week that had to be rescued because the sheet they were on drifted away from the main sheet.  Stupidity

• Wow 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• GeluNumber1
      Was out Friday. Didn't find any thin spots but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be cautious yourself if you decide to go out. Got about 5-6 inches where I was.
    • gunner55
      That house has sat in that same exact spot for 85-95% of the season for at least the last 2-3, maybe even 4 years. Not worth it 😒 so far this season, I'm guessing.
    • Bucketcastle
      Just couldn't get anything to bite with multiple baits; shiners, rainbows, minnow heads, plastics.  Luckily I was comfy in the insulated pop up.  Any advice on a coldfront bite?  Was in a shallow bay then moved into 20'.  Just one tiny bluegill on my panfish rod.  Did not get skunked, I make it my mission to at least get one of anything.
    • JerkinLips
      It may be unkind but I don't know how putting the snow back that you removed would be unlawful.  Don't shoot the messenger; I am just passing along what I have heard.  I travel by snowmobile so I couldn't care less about plowed roads.  To me they are just a hazard for sledding. That being said, the people that used the plowed road today were very considerate.  They pulled well off of the road and kept a fair distance from others. I took a sled ride from McKinley Park to Fortune Bay and encountered at least 6 patches of slush.  I saw a couple of spots were 4 wheelers drove through slush; looks like they had a hard time.  I saw several 4 wheelers getting stuck in the deep snow today.  They would back up and take another run to keep going.  Traveling is very difficult for most wheelers.  I did see one Jeep on the lake just outside of McKinley Park bay. Good luck fishing and traveling on Lake Vermilion.
    • eyeguy 54
      The rod silly. 😁
    • knoppers
      was planning on heading up to the cabin this weekend to do some snowmobiling, but since I had to ride across my lake I decided to wait. they had some good ice early, but then the warm weather, then 18 inches of snow, I would guess the lake is a mess. last report I had from a week ago, was no snowmobile or wheelers have been out on the ice.
    • monstermoose78
      It was good ice
    • Kettle
      Yea I definitely understand wanting to fish your "home lake." I'm the same way hence while a walked through the slush today, fishing was worth it and I didn't feel the need to exercise after getting home tonight. The conditions will definitely hamper a lot of people's plans. It's a bummer but thinking back it has been quite a few years of ideal conditions so I should feel fortunate for that!
    • eyeguy 54
      Like the black ice?
    • HunterFisher11
      Ok so let me start off with I don’t have a big truck with a V-plow, but did make one for my wheeler so I could get on and off with no help from any one else, and I can not tell you how many times I have helped people to get there stuff off the lake.. So long story short many years ago I spent 8-10 hours plowing a road (at that time just had a straight blade plow) and then set down the fishhouse and did not even drill a hole just to tired!!!!! Yep you guess it.... woke up and had a village around me, well that is the way it goes??? So a couple days later decided to move, well got my truck and fish house stuck and had to unhook my fishhouse and hand shovel to get my truck unstuck hook up a chain to get my fishhouse turned so I could hook up again, while there was two guys drinking coffee not more then 15-20 yds away that did not lift a finger to help, so went home got the wheeler and as I was coming back out they stopped me and asked if I could help them out!!!!!! Yep really!!!!!! So second story have a uncle that had his kid that has a plow to punch a road to his fishhouse so he did well one day he is coming off the lake and some one decided to put his wheel house right on the road!!!!! So he knots on the door and the guy told him well sucks to be you!!!!!!!! So you wonder why these guys get a bit upset????? Not to mention going out to my house and having holes drilled I don’t no inches around my house!!!!!!!!! Yep it is not you doing it but yep kind of really makes a person upset!!!!!! Man they need to realize that the guy that made that road is your life line to get off also!!!!!! So like JerkinLips said if you happen to see a person keeping the road open toss him some money or in my case some beer, will make your life a lot easier when you want to get off...