• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

eyeguy 54

Dakota Lithium

Sculpin

It appears that the new lithium Ion batteries are going to be coming quickly to market in the near future. Hopefully the price points will go down.  I purchased a NORSK from Reeds, it is a 15AH, and when it showed up via FedEx I didn't think there was a battery in the box, weighs about a pound I guess. Purports to run a unit like a Helix for 36 hours.  We'll see. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

AlwaysFishing23
On 11/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

that can be nasty with no handle 

I was able to get out for a bit today. Lake had good ice (5-6”) and was able to ice a few nice gills. I did get to drill about 20 holes with the drill/auger setup. Wow is all I can say. Butter smooth and FAST! Very nice, 20 holes and never dropped the battery down one bar. Just pull the trigger and go, no gas no pulling no mess. But I did have a lot of torque to deal with like I expected. The drill did great so I’m going to invest in the clam drill plate and a 6” lazer auger. I have the 8” lazer now so I should have a lot less torque and more holes per charge. As far I know from reading and YouTube the lazer auger (Hand auger) should bolt right on the plate without any other needed adapters? 

• Thanks 1

Kettle
4 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

I was able to get out for a bit today. Lake had good ice (5-6”) and was able to ice a few nice gills. I did get to drill about 20 holes with the drill/auger setup. Wow is all I can say. Butter smooth and FAST! Very nice, 20 holes and never dropped the battery down one bar. Just pull the trigger and go, no gas no pulling no mess. But I did have a lot of torque to deal with like I expected. The drill did great so I’m going to invest in the clam drill plate and a 6” lazer auger. I have the 8” lazer now so I should have a lot less torque and more holes per charge. As far I know from reading and YouTube the lazer auger (Hand auger) should bolt right on the plate without any other needed adapters? 

Correct did this for a friend of mine and he's super happy. Clam plate, 6 in Lazar mag bit and I think a 20 v brushless dewalt was the combo if I recall. The Lazar mag is great just make sure it's clear ice, if there's any sand in it the blades dull super fast. I use the two stage chipper blade on my gas as I sometimes fish windswept areas by sand and it works well for reopening holes better than the Lazar mag blades

Edited by Kettle
  • Thanks 2

eyeguy 54

I see reeds has the Norsk 7.5 ah for 70 bucks.  1.3 pounds. Nice!

• Thanks 1

CJH
On 11/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, Borch said:

The Energizer lithium has even better reviews and improved technology over the Dakota batteries.  

Do they make a 12v rechargeable lithium battery?  I use their lithium disposables in my flashlights and headlamps. 

I put in a request to Ryobi to make a 12v adapter for their 18v lithium batteries, whether they do it or not who knows.  They already have one that is 110v & 5v (USB), but not 12v for some reason.   Might as well use the lithium batteries I already have, if I can.

• Like 1

Borch

Oops.  Energized Outdoors.  Not the the bunny version.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Tom Sawyer
54 minutes ago, Borch said:

Oops.  Energized Outdoors.  Not the the bunny version.

Lol!!! 

Sure gonna make some ice the next few nights, next week looks great 👍

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

6 hours today. 😁

15A341D5-1353-4265-B6A2-5175599DE719.jpeg

• l Love It 1

eyeguy 54

two trips now. really glad I bought it. another to check out is amped out doors lithium. 6 and 12 AH at a nice price and free shipping. 

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer

Amped Outdoors was previously, Energized Outdoors. Matt has great products and stands behind them. Best warrantee in the battery industry. A friend of mine had his replaced, FREE after a year. ☺

• Thanks 1

Tom Sawyer

Might of been because he wasn't using correct charger 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk

Totally understand the hype and some of the benefits on the lithium batteries. But honestly I haven't found myself pulling the trigger on one yet. And probably never will. I guess for myself I look at the prices versus rewards and I cant see the benefits worth it I might be wrong. I realize the guys with the LCD Marcums and the LCD Birds  require a lot of battery power and I see the rewards then but just not  for the standard old school dial guys.   I just find myself personally having no problems using a 9 amp 12 v standard battery in my Vexilar.  In fact I have 4 of them one of the extras I Run in my Elite 7 GPS on a blue box for navigation. 1 in my underwater camera 1 as a spare. As far as seasons I get at least 5 years or better off of them. At $19.99 at fleet on sale you cant go wrong. Call me Old school but I have a fishing room built on my house that I put my gear in every day or night when arriveing home, so  I've always made it a habit of charging my vex everyday as a priority. I know the longevity factor and  I realize weight has always been a bonus but honestly if I cant lift a VEX with the standard lead acid battery and  go hole to hole all day then maybe I need to hit the gym or weights a little harder or  find another sport. 😂. Maybe some day Ill jump on board but as for now call me old school 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

With this body every ounce I don’t have to lift is a plus 😂. Like with the auger. So nice with the electric. Only one battery here so a few bucks invested was ok.  No way if I had four going would i have switched. Always always charged the old one after each outing. Great habit. This one hasn’t moved off 100 % yet but I still throw it on for just a bit. Will experiment maybe next time out and see what it does after two outings. 

• Like 1

CJH
28 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

This one hasn’t moved off 100 % yet but I still throw it on for just a bit. Will experiment maybe next time out and see what it does after two outings. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Vex gauge doesn't read the battery correctly, since lithiums have a flatter/higher voltage curve and those meters read the voltage, if my memory serves me right.   Or the Vex just has such low power draw its barely making a dent in it.  🙂

• Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

Very low power draw i am told on the fl18

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

papadarv
6 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Very low power draw i am told on the fl18

Son has an FL28, buddy the FL18 both thought thier flashers were drawing too much current as there newer batteries died in a few hours. (Had bad batteries) Fl28 spec states 275 ma, I measured 287ma all options on. Fl18 spec at 200ma actual measured 208ma. I ran both units on new full charged 9ah batteries for 8 hrs. Fl28 batt was at 11.72 Fl18 11.97 at end of 8 he's. Calculated run time for a Fl18 on a 15AH battery is about 58 hours and Fl28 at 41 hours.

(15 ah  = 15,000 ma - 15,000ma ÷ 208ma x.8 = 57.69. The x.8 represents 80% due to cold temp, repeted power on/off etc.). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78
On 11/17/2019 at 5:00 PM, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Correct 

CJH
9 hours ago, papadarv said:

Son has an FL28, buddy the FL18 both thought thier flashers were drawing too much current as there newer batteries died in a few hours. (Had bad batteries) Fl28 spec states 275 ma, I measured 287ma all options on. Fl18 spec at 200ma actual measured 208ma. I ran both units on new full charged 9ah batteries for 8 hrs. Fl28 batt was at 11.72 Fl18 11.97 at end of 8 he's. Calculated run time for a Fl18 on a 15AH battery is about 58 hours and Fl28 at 41 hours.

(15 ah  = 15,000 ma - 15,000ma ÷ 208ma x.8 = 57.69. The x.8 represents 80% due to cold temp, repeted power on/off etc.). 

The Ice55 pulls 250mA per its website/spec sheet..  A unit with a big screen like the Ice Helix 7 w/GPS rated at 900mA.

Edited by CJH
  • Thanks 1

papadarv

Stopped by Fleet Farm today, picked up new FL-8se. Super quit running. Tested current uses 200ma set at 20ft. Increases to 224ma with Gain set to max. Uses less power when set to deeper depth - 120ft only draws 150ma.

20191210_140030.thumb.jpg.b26a248e8d2adf0771bfafe43617f022.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

may the vex force be with you. :)

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

update. love the weight. The vex charger was not doing it right so I bought the Dakota charger for 20 bucks. man does it get hot!  

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

You think it’s worth it Eyeguy 

eyeguy 54
14 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

You think it’s worth it Eyeguy 

Yes indeed. Light as a feather

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Vitreus

Anybody using these with marcum units? I know they draw more power than vex..