• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Yetzer2468

Crappie And/or Walleye Near Elk River

Yetzer2468

Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 

ozzie

Welcome to the area!  Blue Lake and Green Lake are panfish lakes close by with the occasional walleye to be had in either but with more consistently from Green.  Briggs Lake chain is another good option for both crappies and walleyes and with it being part of the river system some size can be had for both.  Go a little south from there and you can hit up the Annandale area lakes which have walleyes and crappies.  Good Luck and let us know how ya do!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Kettle

Although I moved away from the area over 10 years ago I can say without reservation that the rum river has fantastic walleye fishing. There's some pigs in there besides numbers. I've also had really good bluegill fishing there too! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

gimruis

Its even better for smallmouth bass.  Our rivers are loaded with them and there's very little pressure.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Yetzer2468

I'm planning on floating from Milaca to Princeton or Cambridge/Isanti to St. Francis, not sure which yet. I might go to the bridge in St. Francis today after work and try my luck.

Yetzer2468
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Its even better for smallmouth bass.  Our rivers are loaded with them and there's very little pressure.

That's what i've heard, i just bought a Whopper Plopper to try out on my trip down the river too. I've never targeted smallmouth before so we will see how it goes!

Kettle

I would float farther north, more bends and rock. The stretch from Isanti to st Francis is pretty sandy so as much bass in that stretch, I've done better south or north of the stretch I mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Floating those sections of the Rum will take you much longer than you’ll originally think it will.  Be aware of that when you plan your trip.  I’m assuming the water is high right now as most rivers in MN are, so it could go a little quicker.

For example, Isanti to St. Francis will be like 10 hours without slowing down much to fish.  Figure about 1 river mile per hour to be a steady pace for a fishing trip.

• Thanks 1

Kettle

Cambridge to St Francis is definitely a long float, Isanti to St Francis not fishing just canoeing takes me about 5-6 hours. If your going solo check out the central park in Andover. You can float solo for about 3 hours and you end up within a 5 minute walk of your vehicle since it twists and turns so much in that stretch. I have not caught many walleye that far south but definitely will get a bass or two 

• Thanks 1

Wanderer
5 hours ago, Kettle said:

Cambridge to St Francis is definitely a long float, Isanti to St Francis not fishing just canoeing takes me about 5-6 hours. 

I’ve never just canoed the river so I guess I can’t really debate that time estimate.  It’s always been a float/fish trip but casting only, not stopping to really work a deeper hole or anything.

I used to live on the river along that stretch.  About midway between Isanti and St. Francis.

Kettle

I grew up in the Bethel area so I fished the river a lot. Best walleye fishing north of princeton and best smallmouth fishing I've had was south of St Francis. One can catch them from Mille lacs to the Mississippi river 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

gimruis

Its honestly probably not a great time of year to target bass in the Rum right now.  The current is super fast and the water is dark and cold and murky.  I usually do it in July and August when the levels are lower and its warmer out.  Basically, when fishing in the lakes starts to slow down in the heat of summer, that's when river fishing is good.  That's when they are the most aggressive - we catch most of our fish on topwaters.  Very few walleye, occasional pike.  My biggest this season was 20 inches.  The further north you go, the more shallower-type rocky habitat you will encounter.  I use a jon boat so we don't drift as fast as a canoe or kayak, but the stability offers us a platform we can stand in.  It won't be an issue now, but the deer flies out there in the summer can be completely unbearable.  Those things are merciless at times, nothing repels them, and they'll take a bite right out of your face.

8-2-19 a.jpg

Edited by gimruis
  • l Love It 1

Mr.business
On 10/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, ozzie said:

Welcome to the area!  Blue Lake and Green Lake are panfish lakes close by with the occasional walleye to be had in either but with more consistently from Green.  Briggs Lake chain is another good option for both crappies and walleyes and with it being part of the river system some size can be had for both.  Go a little south from there and you can hit up the Annandale area lakes which have walleyes and crappies.  Good Luck and let us know how ya do!

How many green lakes are there ? Are these lakes in isanti county ? 

gimruis

There are quite a few Green Lakes.  Just a common name for lakes.  There's a lot of Clear Lakes and Long Lakes too out there.

The Green Lake being referred to is in fact in Isanti County.  Its just south of Hwy 95.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr.business

Is there any decent shore fishing access ? 

ozzie
7 hours ago, Mr.business said:

Is there any decent shore fishing access ? 

Not really decent shore fishing on Green in Isanti unless you are using waders then you might find some success...if I were in the area restricted to shore fishing I would find spot on the Rum River and the Mississippi River to fish...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      Finally, a rain free day on Rainy Lake.

• smalljaw
    • Topwaterordie
      By Topwaterordie
      Anyone got any place that they would like to share with me to catch walleyes from shore. That is good anytime of the season.
      Preferably public land. I've got bad hips and cant be lifting my canoe any longer, so Im stuck to fishing on the shore. If you have
      any ideas of places let me know. Id be grateful for the advice.

Minnesota or North Dakota advise welcome.

Oh, Ill be fishing at night mostly. Ill be using live bait, Chubs and leeches.

Thanks!
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • John Schulz
      By John Schulz
      Looking for some fun easy Shore fishing spots. New to fishing as an adult, only fished when I was 10-13 in scouts. From California having moved to Moorhead Oct 18, just got fishing license for my wife and I. 

Bought some poles and gear and just wondering if anyone can point me in the directions of some great spots to fish off shore, as we do not have a boat. 

Thank you. 
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      Day 1 up on Flag Island Resort brought us many Walleye, Sauger and Perch on the Minnesota side of Lake of the Woods. Day 2 however we went into the Canadian water to fish an area that has Walleye, Perch, Sauger and some REALLY BIG Crappies! This plan and location did not disappoint - I won't be forgetting this day on the ice!

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A group of us recently made it up to Flag Island Resort for 3 days of multispecies ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. The accommodations and folks who worked at the Resort were top notch! Bending over backwards to put you on fish and make your trip one to remember.

The Fishing - Day 1 it was decided to stay, somewhat, close to the Resort in the MN side of LOTW to target Walleye, Sauger and Perch due to 24+ hours of snow. We got into pretty good numbers of fish and some quality fished showed up as well! Below is a video of that action from Day 1.

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A group of high school buddies and some of their family make an Annual trip up to Baudette to fish Walleyes on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to this trip each year! Since this is an Annual Trip we all put some money and bragging rights on the line for the Angler who can catch the biggest fish of the weekend, take home the Trophy, $500 Cash and call themselves "Mr. Walleye" for the next 365 days. The Largest Perch and Heaviest Eelpout/Burbot also take home prizes. I didn't have the camera's rolling on Day 1 (which was lights out) but on Day 2 of the trip we were filming. It was fun day and I even caught my new Personal Best Perch!

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      @bassfshin24 and I snuck up to Mille Lacs for 2 days of fishing recently. We were targeting Walleye near shallow structure in the low light hours and bumping out a bit deeper during mid-day. The first day was slow for us but we found more action on Day 2 including my 2nd biggest Walleye through the ice. I also caught my first tagged Walleye! Pay attention for my slip and fall...

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• creepworm
      That is a fair opinion. My opinion is that as long as the safe harvest level is not exceeded, I really don't care if it takes them 1 day, 6 months, or a whole year; or if they are using hook and line, nets, or dynamite. That is the tribes choice to make.   Some people go home to a super model every night; I do not. Some people have billions of dollars; I do not. Some people can net walleye on Red Lake; I can not. Life is not and never will be fair.
    • Lotharski
      Thanks Chill, I really enjoy reading your posts.  On a quick update for me, I went out for the first time of the year on Nov. 23rd on a small lake by DL.  Had around 5" of ice and had to drill about 40 holes before we found the crappies and gills.  They were not super aggressive, but we were able to land one limit of keeper size crappies and also some nice gills.  Went out for the second time on Dec. 7th by Lake Park.  With the warm weather, still only found about 5" of good ice and 3" of slush on time.  Fishing was much slower and only caught a few perch.  Thank goodness for the Muck Arctic Armor boots for keeping the feed dry and warm in that slush!!
    • Xplorer
      Seriously???   You dont even know that the Red Lakes are not, and never were, a part of the 1837 treaty or part of the Ceded territory, yet you spout off here as if its fact? Take that carp back to the Mille Lacs forum where it belongs.    If you want a little FACT finding mission, take a look for the maps of the 1837 and 1854 ceded territories.  Not even close to Red Lakes. I'll save ya the difficult google search, heres the maps for both https://data.glifwc.org/ceded/ So stop biatching about a system that is working on the Red Lakes.  Its been the best walleye lake in MN basically since it reopened in 2006.  And yes, I have fished it every year since then, how about you????   Tried to see if I could find even one fishing report from you on this forum........ crickets.  
    • Rick
      We all have an interest in maintaining the lake. I thank god we have this gem to fish and am grateful it's producing again. I'm grateful to all those who worked on the recovery for all of us to enjoy and/or gain economic benefit from.   If people like you came in to the place you made your livelihood (subsistence) and told you how to produce your goods or services, how well would you listen?   A fish meal is a fish meal no matter how it was gathered.   Let's find a positive way to co-exist with each other. The bitterness is not becoming nor is it productive.
    • gimruis
      I think they should just stop using nets.  If they want fish, they should have to use fish and line like everyone else.  Just my personal opinion.
    • gimruis
      Well played
    • rumeye
      Start eating more Smallmouth they are not bad had them in Canada once put side by side with walleye couldn't hardly tell the difference. I know the bass guys are probably going to rip me for saying that but what the heck why not eat em.😀
    • bowhuntingboy1
      I dont know.  In my experience at mille lacs, which was a few years back, i saw no shortage of tiny perch and crayfish and I know there is also tulibee in there
    • walros
      I like to think that there are too many predator fish (walleye, northern, musky and small mouth bass) for the available forage base to sustain. You can't have everything at once yet here the DNR is trying to make the lake into everyone's dream lake. One of the predator fish has been stocked (Musky) and one protected (small mouth bass)  allowing the natural balance to tilt away from walleyes. This happened because of intense political lobbying efforts of the groups that support these types of fishing activities.
    • Thomas_Z
      Guys, please, recommend me a sleeping bag for two that would be warm and thick anought to lie even on snow. I am going to purchase TETON Mammoth from this list https://outdoorsy.org/best-double-sleeping-bag, but if you have something that you can rely on, please, let me know. Do not want to risk it with purchasing something unknown