• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Yetzer2468

Crappie And/or Walleye Near Elk River

Yetzer2468

Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 

ozzie

Welcome to the area!  Blue Lake and Green Lake are panfish lakes close by with the occasional walleye to be had in either but with more consistently from Green.  Briggs Lake chain is another good option for both crappies and walleyes and with it being part of the river system some size can be had for both.  Go a little south from there and you can hit up the Annandale area lakes which have walleyes and crappies.  Good Luck and let us know how ya do!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Kettle

Although I moved away from the area over 10 years ago I can say without reservation that the rum river has fantastic walleye fishing. There's some pigs in there besides numbers. I've also had really good bluegill fishing there too! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

gimruis

Its even better for smallmouth bass.  Our rivers are loaded with them and there's very little pressure.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Yetzer2468

I'm planning on floating from Milaca to Princeton or Cambridge/Isanti to St. Francis, not sure which yet. I might go to the bridge in St. Francis today after work and try my luck.

Yetzer2468
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Its even better for smallmouth bass.  Our rivers are loaded with them and there's very little pressure.

That's what i've heard, i just bought a Whopper Plopper to try out on my trip down the river too. I've never targeted smallmouth before so we will see how it goes!

Kettle

I would float farther north, more bends and rock. The stretch from Isanti to st Francis is pretty sandy so as much bass in that stretch, I've done better south or north of the stretch I mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Floating those sections of the Rum will take you much longer than you’ll originally think it will.  Be aware of that when you plan your trip.  I’m assuming the water is high right now as most rivers in MN are, so it could go a little quicker.

For example, Isanti to St. Francis will be like 10 hours without slowing down much to fish.  Figure about 1 river mile per hour to be a steady pace for a fishing trip.

• Thanks 1

Kettle

Cambridge to St Francis is definitely a long float, Isanti to St Francis not fishing just canoeing takes me about 5-6 hours. If your going solo check out the central park in Andover. You can float solo for about 3 hours and you end up within a 5 minute walk of your vehicle since it twists and turns so much in that stretch. I have not caught many walleye that far south but definitely will get a bass or two 

• Thanks 1

Wanderer
5 hours ago, Kettle said:

Cambridge to St Francis is definitely a long float, Isanti to St Francis not fishing just canoeing takes me about 5-6 hours. 

I’ve never just canoed the river so I guess I can’t really debate that time estimate.  It’s always been a float/fish trip but casting only, not stopping to really work a deeper hole or anything.

I used to live on the river along that stretch.  About midway between Isanti and St. Francis.

Kettle

I grew up in the Bethel area so I fished the river a lot. Best walleye fishing north of princeton and best smallmouth fishing I've had was south of St Francis. One can catch them from Mille lacs to the Mississippi river 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

gimruis

Its honestly probably not a great time of year to target bass in the Rum right now.  The current is super fast and the water is dark and cold and murky.  I usually do it in July and August when the levels are lower and its warmer out.  Basically, when fishing in the lakes starts to slow down in the heat of summer, that's when river fishing is good.  That's when they are the most aggressive - we catch most of our fish on topwaters.  Very few walleye, occasional pike.  My biggest this season was 20 inches.  The further north you go, the more shallower-type rocky habitat you will encounter.  I use a jon boat so we don't drift as fast as a canoe or kayak, but the stability offers us a platform we can stand in.  It won't be an issue now, but the deer flies out there in the summer can be completely unbearable.  Those things are merciless at times, nothing repels them, and they'll take a bite right out of your face.

8-2-19 a.jpg

Edited by gimruis
  • l Love It 1

Mr.business
On 10/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, ozzie said:

Welcome to the area!  Blue Lake and Green Lake are panfish lakes close by with the occasional walleye to be had in either but with more consistently from Green.  Briggs Lake chain is another good option for both crappies and walleyes and with it being part of the river system some size can be had for both.  Go a little south from there and you can hit up the Annandale area lakes which have walleyes and crappies.  Good Luck and let us know how ya do!

How many green lakes are there ? Are these lakes in isanti county ? 

gimruis

There are quite a few Green Lakes.  Just a common name for lakes.  There's a lot of Clear Lakes and Long Lakes too out there.

The Green Lake being referred to is in fact in Isanti County.  Its just south of Hwy 95.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr.business

Is there any decent shore fishing access ? 

ozzie
7 hours ago, Mr.business said:

Is there any decent shore fishing access ? 

Not really decent shore fishing on Green in Isanti unless you are using waders then you might find some success...if I were in the area restricted to shore fishing I would find spot on the Rum River and the Mississippi River to fish...

• I Like it 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Which backwater lakes are the most fruitful in pool 2 of the Mississippi River? Referring to primarily either Pig's Eye, Pickerel, or something similar and nearby. Preferably for walleye but I also enjoy getting after bass and pike. Thanks for sharing experience. As specific as you can get would be great, because it's often difficult to find current information that isn't from 2010!
    • elrodphil
      By elrodphil
      Hello, 
      I am a Georgia angler who needs help from you guys who are experts at controlled depth trolling. My wife and I just finished a trip to some lakes in North Carolina. My wife and I just finished a trip to some mountain lakes in North Carolina. We are used to bass fishing and the weather was really hot. We tried every technique, including vertical jigging on deep structure and points, but we had absolutely no luck. We were kind of isolated in a cabin with no cell service. When we went to town I happen to run into one of the game wardens and I ask him about fishing. He said that the way to catch fish when it’s really hot is through fishing with Dipsy divers. I watched a few videos about this technique and I wondered if you guys could give me some adviceI on how to get started. I have a 16 foot bass tracker boat with a mercury two stroke 50. Any advice would be really helpful including gear such as rods, reels, line sizes and sonar options. What features do I need to help me be successful? Also does anyone know of a good guide that would teaches these techniques? Thank you and good fission!
    • Duckhunter1941
      By Duckhunter1941
      I was wondering if anyone has ever fished walnut or south walnut lake/ the blue earth river area? I see the dnr stocks walleye about every other year but I never hear of anyone fishing it 
    • DavidA
      By DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
    • Dadman2017
      By Dadman2017
      Headed up to Duluth area tomorrow, want to wet a line. No boat. Anyone wanna share a bite?  Will traverse any country for some filets!!!
    • Chill62
      By Chill62
      Wow did the walleye bite turn on!!!! Edges of the weeds pulling a plain Lindy with a leech was the ticket. shortened to 4 foot to keep leech from weeds helped. This fish measured 30.0 on a FM Walleyes Unlimited board. Girlfriend didn't want to mount it so after a while we got it revived and it took off for the weeds. Best part this lake isn't even managed for walleyes!

• iStryka
      By iStryka
      I live in the keewaydin 55417 area and the family craves fishing, a lot of the lakes around the area are a bit high pressured it seems as we've been out as far as Lake Elmo, Clear Lake, Vadnais and Lake Peltier but to no avail ( 2-3 hours of fishing with only 1 catch on some days ) on sport fishes. Is there a creek/river/backwater that's accessable for shoreline fishing that's got good fights? I'm down for kayaking too since we have a Jackson Tuna and a F&S Shadowcaster but we don't have an anchor so river kayaking is a no go ( I'm a fairly large lazy dude ) for me.

Our next target area would be Cannon River south 30 minutes of us.

Happy Fishes everyone
      - Charlie
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• PRO-V
      That's alright Smurf. I got caught up at home and missed it to. Next time 🥃🍺
    • Wakemup
      Thanks for the report James! Lead core is the next presentation for me to try... how many colors do you let out when fishing in the 25ft range? 
    • Paradice
      That will help layer it in, and it should break down to harmless compost.  
    • Paradice
      I've been an outhouse'er for a long time.  Two years ago, I finally got my own.  It's a matter of chemistry and carbon to nitrogen ratios.  Human waste is very high nitrogen.  To combat the smell, get a bale of fine sawdust and put a fist full down each time it starts to get a little pungent, and at a minimum, one fist full right before you leave.  I'm still on my first 5 gallon bucket of sawdust, and it's still half full.  It doesn't fill the hole.  However, if you're running 5-6 people up there for 6-8 months a year, that might be too much for a hole system.     This is the same principle when it comes to farming.  When you drive by a feedlot or hog barn that is pure liquid manure, the smell is enough to about kill you.  In contrast, where you drive past a farm where they use generous amounts of bedding, it's quite pleasant to be around, and people may actually still live there.  
    • Wanderer
      I’m interested in this information also.  I’ll say though, in a regular outhouse some lime helps with the bugs and smell quite a bit.
    • Mike89
    • mulefarm
      Congratulations 
    • jeff_s
      We had a Biolet composting toilet for about 6 years until we had a septic system installed. You need to keep it around 70 degrees or it stops composting. Also, if you let it freeze, be prepared to replace a shear pin next time you use it, and the auger tries to turn. We have some friends that have an Incinolet and they have nothing but good to say about it. Needs a 20 amp 220 circuit. 
    • smurfy
      i was up for work mainly. but did get a line wet a few times. friday sunfish and all catch and release. sat i went out for a bit to chase pike and only got 1 about 12 inches long. we had 3 inches of rain friday nite and a heck of a thunder and lightning show, so i'd think that put a damper on fish cooperating.
    • smurfy
      man, missed this!!!!!!!!!🥴 thursday nite was a blur in rapids, then i got company at the cabin......sorry........maybe next time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.