• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Cem

New Member - Visiting Minneapolis

Cem

Hi all,

I am a fly and lure angler from London UK.

I will be visiting Minneapolis in mid November 2019 for a week - JNUC Conference.

I am thinking of staying somewhere by the lake or river for couple of nights so that I can do bit of fishing. 

Any recommendations welcome!

Cheers

Edited by Cem

Rick

PSX_20190905_082558.jpg.b5bc11bbfdbfb11ed8359e81084521c2.jpgEarly November is usually cool mornings warming in the afternoon. It's not uncommon to get snow bu mid-November. So be prepared to dress warm.

You will have the Mississippi river pool 2 close by as well as the Minnesota river to the south of you.

You will find many species of fish in them with walleyes and catfish being favorite targets.

I will leave it to the fishermen who fish it more often dill you in on the details.

What kind of gear are you used to using?

Be sure to check out Great Day on the Water Guide Service and Matt Johnson Outdoors, they both specialize on Metro area lakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cem

Thanks for the info! 

I am more like a light gear LRF and seabass gear guy :)

I may bring my own tackle or buy one there not sure yet. 

I will be looking to stay close to the fishing areas. 

Do I need a fishing licence ?

JBMasterAngler

Yes you do!

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi

There are a couple of options for short term non-resident licenses.      3 days for $37 or 7 days for $44.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cem

Thanks guys!

any recommendations on accommodation?

Wanderer

LOTS of options there, depending on budget and where you think you might fish.  I’d suggest narrowing down your fishing location first.

Mid - November can be dicey weather wise.  Sometimes it’s T shirt weather and sometimes some of the lakes are frozen enough to walk on.  Book an area guide like Rick suggests.  One of the rivers will be your safest bet for open water.  Lake Minnetonka is one I would recommend if you want to try one of our lakes near Minneapolis.  Wide variety of fish, can stay ice free longer, more guides know it and it’s a beautiful lake.

• Thumbs Up 2

delcecchi

Mid November is often quite cold as compared to uk.

Normal high is mid 40s F and average low in high 20 or in Celsius 9 for a high and -3 for a low.  Rain, sleet ,snow a possibility.  A good goretex rain suit and a puffer jacket or fleece should do the trick.   Feet might be the trickiest.  

Suggestions, guys?  

The Mississippi river or Lake Minnetonka might be the best bet I would think.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

I thought about this a little more after I posted and thought more about Troy Smudtka and Great Day On The Water.  

If theres fishing to be had, he can do that.  Or, if Cem might be so inclined, Troy guides waterfowl too.  Could be an unexpected opportunity?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Cem

Thanks guys!

I have a reply from the recommended guide saying he is too busy in fall (apparently he is a teacher and coach etc...)

I think I will stay couple of days in Monticello and fish the Mississippi River.

Any recommendations on spots and accommodations?

Also do I need to hire a car?

Borch

Try Darren Troseth at 3 rivers fishing adventures.  Fall is sturgeon  time.   He also specializes in catfish with a shot at a trophy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Cem

Oh btw should I be concerned about bears?

leech~~
11 hours ago, Cem said:

It is Bear season but you should not have any issues with them down by the cities.  🙂

Rick
14 hours ago, Cem said:

Even in bear country further north few ever worry about them.