• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

james_walleye

Hey guys I have version 6 of the lake master chip and it has vermilion at 3 foot contours. Do the newer chips have the lake at 1 foot??

delcecchi
9 hours ago, james_walleye said:

Hey guys I have version 6 of the lake master chip and it has vermilion at 3 foot contours. Do the newer chips have the lake at 1 foot??

I think navionics or Garmin might.  I saw the Garmin guys mapping a few years ago

• Thanks 1

Skibo

Most of the new chips have 1' increment mapping.  Humminbird purchased Lakemaster, and the new maps will only work in Humminbird units now.  Lowrance uses C-Map (embedded) and Navionics, both of which have 1' increment mapping.  I have both Humminbird and Lowrance in my boat, and use all of these maps.  I prefer Navionics for navigation, and Lakemaster for bottom imagery. 

A real nice new feature in almost all of the brands is that ability to "live map" the bottom with your transducer.  This amends the map to be exactly what is down there, not what the satellite imagery puts on the maps.  Most of the brands have "community" mapping, where you can upload your live mapping, which gets added to the next release of the chips.  The companies now have thousands of mappers out there making their product better, so they can charge us more for the product that we built!

• Wow 1

h8go4s

Here's what the Humminbird website ( https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/mapping/lakemaster-minnesota-v8 ) says, but the old card defined 3-foot contours as high definition. If I were going to buy the new card, I'd call Humminbird and insist they prove to me that the new card was 1-foot contours for Vermillion. Tell them to email a snip of a recognizable area of Vermillion.

LM MN V8.JPG

• Thanks 1

delcecchi

I looked at the link, and then went to the lake list.   They  have a * by vermilion which means it was "re-surveyed".   So they either went back and actually rescanned the lake, or they bought updated data from one of the other companies.   

Since Garmin bought Navionics a couple years ago, but is apparently operating it as a separate company, it is hard to know who is making what kind of deals relative to licensing of data.    

In any case, you could use the "contact us" link on the Humminbird website to ask them.   If you use email you would have something in writing....  https://www.humminbird.com/contact

Live chat is another option.

• Thanks 1

chucker1101

I've bought the new Lakemaster chip in June - had to buy it to make the Humminbird 'follow the contour' capability work - and it has 1 ft contour for Vermilion.

If anyone wants to buy cheap a Navionics 2011 chip for MN let me know  :)

Edited by chucker1101
  • Like 1

james_walleye

Chucked I assume version 8 you got? 

LBerquist

Just want to throw this out there...I ran hummingbird and lowerance with a lake master chip. Got a new garmin, the stock map on the unit was better then anything I have ever seen on my 2 units or any other I have seen. I wasnt a big garmin fan and wouldn't be now if it wasnt for a gift of a Garmin 93sv....

• Thanks 1

bassbouncer

The latest new lakemaster mapping is a big improvement over the older version. Garmin is the best in my opinion for this lake. I have a 93sv with livescope and the whole unit is awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

chucker1101
2 hours ago, james_walleye said:

Chucked I assume version 8 you got? 

I believe so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

mtheis

I have version 8 as well.  1' contours.  Where I fish it has proven to be extremely accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1