• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Interesting Things To See On Vermilion

I just thought of a couple more things.  One fun, or at least mildly entertaining activity is geocaching.  It involves finding a container that was hidden and contains a log of finders and sometimes some trinkets. Is so, you take something and leave something in place of it.  The locations are specified by GPS coordinates. On a geocaching Web sight

Another is that I recall reading, in MN volunteer I think,  about a sna or something on an island in Frazier bay area, againa little foggy here with some old growth trees.  I remember thinking it would be fun to go there. Sorry for the nebulous description.   I'd appreciate more info if anyone has any idea about the place

• I Like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

Soudan Mine in Tower is a must see the underground tour is so cool.

and it's really dark in there when they turn off the lights!!!!

• Yayyyy 1

12 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

Soudan Mine in Tower is a must see the underground tour is so cool.

8 hours ago, Mike89 said:

and it's really dark in there when they turn off the lights!!!!

and dangerous!!!

DSC01145.thumb.JPG.39edc72bd22f0fd8d4f50a565ba2a1a6.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

I found out that the Universty of Minnesota has a huge labrotory under ground by the mine if you look at the pictures it is crazy to think that thing is next to you when you are doing the regular tour and it is all dirt and it all looks like that pic chaffmj posted

The UofM used to have a huge lab there, to catch nutrinos being shot through the earth from Chicago. We toured it once a decade or so ago, but I am pretty sure they lost funding and closed the lab a few years ago.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, BrianF said:

Surprises seem to be around every corner on Lake Vermilion.  Any one care to share some special encounter you’ve had on the lake? 

That's good stuff.

I found this skull sitting near shore by my cabin. I still can't figure out what the skull came from, even after consulting a few online resources. Feel free to offer up your guesses and opinions:

Side photo

image.png.50fa0eb80fe0dc647ca90425d130b767.png

Front view

image.png.6343a6ffe94186e1e55ae0493605e51d.png

Top/Rear view

image.png.9c5382a85e58018962430fcc57aedd10.png

4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I found this skull sitting near shore by my cabin. I still can't figure out what the skull came from, even after consulting a few online resources. Feel free to offer up your guesses and opinions:

Looks like the ones I have found and they were from deer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The most interesting thing I've seen on the lake is loons flocking up to fly south.  Saw this on Norwegian Bay October 9, 2018.  There had to be at least 200 of them, including some clearly too young to make the trip.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

the fur makes me think deer

I would think maybe Bigfoot.??

But Yea the hair definitely looks like a deer.

• Yayyyy 2

22 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Looks like the ones I have found and they were from deer. 

Thanks caffmj and others. I guess what threw me off was the missing structure from the snout and lower jaw. Maybe if I'd gone on a few hunting trips with my buddies, I would be more adept at picking out a deer skull!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, SkunkedAgain said:

The UofM used to have a huge lab there, to catch nutrinos being shot through the earth from Chicago. We toured it once a decade or so ago, but I am pretty sure they lost funding and closed the lab a few years ago.

I found some cool stuff for those that want to learn more about what was going on in the mine:

Good overview brochure of the project:  https://www-numi.fnal.gov/public/brochure.pdf

UofM page devoted to the project - great links within:  http://www.soudan.umn.edu/

Article about it being shut down in 2016:  https://www.twincities.com/2016/11/05/its-work-done-huge-physics-lab-being-razed-deep-under-the-iron-range/

Want to do your own experiments in the mine, they are looking for tenants:  https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4412347-work-continues-find-tenants-soudan-underground-lab

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I guess what threw me off was the missing structure from the snout and lower jaw.

SkunkedAgain don't be so hard on yourself, the lower jaw is connected to the skull by muscle or tissue so that is is usually missing.  Here is a pic of a lower jaw bone that I found this spring.

The snout is also always gone but I'm not sure why. In the 2nd pic this is the most complete skull I have found and the snout was the only thing missing.

DSC02634.thumb.JPG.7aea2428f61539ca143e3619451dacc3.JPG

476195211_DSC01335(2).thumb.JPG.90f0779d02144c023996ed5c873426e0.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1

The snout is made up of a lot cartilage and very thin bone.  Easy eats for bugs and rodents if it doesn’t just decay away before they get to it.  I’ve noticed in our moist woods the snouts go quickly versus the more arid areas like the Dakota plains.  You find more full skulls out there than here.  At least in my experience anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

We might as well re-title this thread "Interesting Things To Learn On Vermilion." Thanks for enlightening me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, SkunkedAgain said:

I actually worked on wiring that lab when it was built in the late 80’s

• Thumbs Up 1

I bet that was pretty interesting, especially getting all of the materials, tools, and equipment down the elevator shaft. 

Great pictures of bears and sky. 

I've had a north-facing cabin for 15+ years and still have not timed it right to see the lights. I've seen them other places but that picture above keeps me excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it takes watching the aurora forecasts online and then sitting and waiting, or at least going outside a lot in the middle of the night, like 2am.   

Oh I do. It also just takes luck and timing.

Years ago I came up with my young daughter. As we drove up, the northern sky was pale green. We boated across and I got her to bed around 11pm (late). I then went down and sat near the dock for a few hours in the dark. The lights had gone away but I was treated to a family of beavers snorting and splashing their way along the shore. It is still pretty to stare at the stars and Milky Way.

I've seen the lights in the BWCA a few times, and also once near Mille Lacs. I just need to scratch that itch to see them on Vermilion. I guess I will stick to my routine of a middle-of-the-night outhouse trip to look at the sky!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1