• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

clemmy

Hello,

Flying up from Florida to visit the folks and we are going to spend a week (September 14th-21st) on Shagawa. Staying at Ladybug, so will have a pontoon, but I imagine no depthfinder. I found a map and found some areas to try but it’s been 23 years since I lived in Minnesota.

Anyone kindly have any suggestions on tactics or depth? I.e. would we better trolling the shore, or trying 25’-30’? Or slip bobbering points/islands, and how deep? I imagining we might be flying a bit blind on a new lake without a depthfinder.

Thanks Y’all,

Craig

chaffmj

The owners at the ladybug should be able to help you out. Otherwise go into town and stop at a few of the bait shops, they should be able to help. I do know that people do a lot of trolling on the lake.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

@clemmy

You’ll want to be careful around the islands out there without a depth finder.  I’d try get set up with at least a portable if you can.  Not critical but it would help you out quite a bit.  Give the buoys a decent berth.  They don’t over mark things out there.  I’m sure the Ladybug Lodge will be sure to point out the hazards on a map for you when you get the pontoon.

The entire lake isn’t as risky as all that sounds but it should be noted to keeps your eyes open.

Fishing will be best early or late in the day.  Use the middle part of the day for scouting, socializing or napping! 😀

20 feet is about all the deeper you’ll need to fish during daylight.  During low light hours be less than 10 feet with whatever you’re doing.  Jigging, bobber/bait, or trolling; it doesn’t matter.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

clemmy

Thanks Guys!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      Got out Saturday and tried for some eyes and didn't find a one...barely graphed a fish in many areas!  We switched it up and went crappie fishing and found a school in deep water and caught enough for a meal.  We were using small jigging raps.  Great bait when trying to stay vertical in deeper water with a slight wind.  Hope to get out another time or 2 but we will see what ma nature has to say about that...Good Luck- Ozzie
    • MRGC
      We are actually in the city of Monticello.  We had to get a building permit for the shooting shelters and MN DNR grant.  As part of the building permit process the city asked us to do some sound testing.  Interestingly, we are quieter then the city standards.The motorcycles and pickups with big tires were quite a bit louder then our shooting tests.  We also added sound deadening material to the ceilings of our shelters.  It helps big time.  Our club has been there since 1946 and predates any housing in the area.  MN ranges are protected when you are in compliance, and we are.  More improvements to come to our range soon.  Great place, great people.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fantastic week of fall walleye fishing.  Walleyes in good numbers across the south shore of Lake of the Woods.  Most popular depths are 14 - 24'.  Anchoring up with a jig with frozen shiner is the ticket.  Jig colors in gold, pink, glow, orange or a combo of these colors working well.  Strong numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught.  Jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  Walleyes also being caught around Knight and Bridges islands and structure off of Long Point and Rocky Point. On the Rainy River...   Strong reports this past week and weekend of good numbers of walleyes along with some big walleyes taken.  Fish in spots with current breaks from mouth of river to Birchdale.  There is still a strong current and fish are congregating in areas with current breaks, often closer to shore, behind points or holes in river.  7-16' a good start depending upon the spot.  Very good reports this week.  Have jigs up to 1.5 oz if in the main channel, lighter jigs in slack water.  Many personal best walleyes and sturgeon this week. Up at the NW Angle...  Walleyes in traditional fall spots.  Neck down areas, points and mouths of bays continue to hold good fish.  Jigging continues to be the go to method.  Big black crappie and jumbo perch bite happening also.  Traditional fall muskie bite continues strong, lots of fish boated.  
    • Hookmaster
      Anyone ever find one that works? My truck topper light wiring got corroded from the salt spray coming in during the winter.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Fished zero hours this weekend, but did get the dock raised and took care of a bunch of other projects. Snow shovels are out for my next trip! I'm hoping to find open water in November for a final trip, but know that it's not likely!
    • Fish Head
      I had similar experience to everyone else. I found my hook up percentage was a little better with jig and pike suckers then rigs and light northern. Lots of skinned minnows. Even if I give them a long time they wouldn’t have the whole minnow in their mouth. Most fish in 28-30, but did real well in 40' hole also. Lots of husky eaters and a fat 26. not many small fish. It’s been a great fall.
    • gimruis
      Its honestly probably not a great time of year to target bass in the Rum right now.  The current is super fast and the water is dark and cold and murky.  I usually do it in July and August when the levels are lower and its warmer out.  Basically, when fishing in the lakes starts to slow down in the heat of summer, that's when river fishing is good.  That's when they are the most aggressive - we catch most of our fish on topwaters.  Very few walleye, occasional pike.  My biggest this season was 20 inches.  The further north you go, the more shallower-type rocky habitat you will encounter.  I use a jon boat so we don't drift as fast as a canoe or kayak, but the stability offers us a platform we can stand in.  It won't be an issue now, but the deer flies out there in the summer can be completely unbearable.  Those things are merciless at times, nothing repels them, and they'll take a bite right out of your face.
    • CaptJohnWis
      Weather was beautiful yesterday. Wasn't going to fish but couldn't stand it sittin in house. Went after church and fished five hours. 15 bass and two pike. nothing huge. Nothing trolling 10" Grandma - all on Lunker City Swimmin Ribsters and similar but larger unknown soft plastic.    
    • Borch
      Well we just finished our annual fall trip on Cass Lake over MEA.  Water temps hung around 48-50 degrees.  Walleye fishing was tough as we often could visually see them swimming up shallow at night but they didn't bite real well.   What we lacked in quantity and we up for with quality though.  Several eyes between 20-28 inches.  We did manage to get quite a few nice eaters as well.  Here's some pics of the nicer ones.    We did really well on perch and kept a bunch of 10-13" for eating.  Found these in 8-14 fow and caught in fathead, jigging raps and plastics.   Also got into some really nice crappies in basin/hole areas.  These fish are deep so it's a catch and keep situation.   At night the eyes are easily shore accessible.   We saw one 15 ft out of the harbor we were using that was easily 30" long and in less than 2 feet of water.
    • Barbelboy
      indeed, it was. i think i was hacked. meant to be in the west nile virus thread.