• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

rayguy

New Youth Deer Hunt

rayguy

What's the thoughts on the new four day youth deer hunt?    Yay  or  nay?   Seems like it may be to long to me.

paceman

It has been that way for a few years now, just in certain areas of the state. Now being statewide I would expect a lot more kids will take advantage of it. My son is 14 so we will participate. Last year we had to travel up to Crookston. Now we can hunt locally. I am all for it. I do think the 17 and under is a bit old to do this, I don't think the youth duck hunters weekend are for 17 and under. 15 and under would be a good age IMO. I will have to remember to wear orange that weekend if I go bowhunting.

gimruis
Posted (edited)

When I was a kid growing up, I never had these special youth hunts.  I had to go on opener just like everyone else.  I paid full price for a license and I had to put my name into the lottery too.  The DNR knows that their salaries and jobs are dependent on license sales, and they can see the lack of youth involved so this is their solution.  At least if they bag a deer it counts towards their harvest during the regular deer season.  They expanded youth waterfowl day to youth waterfowl "weekend" too.  More of the same nonsense.

Edited by gimruis

Barbelboy

Yay.

Considering how hunter numbers have been on a decline for some time now I applaud any opportunity to introduce hunting to the next generation. We can argue about the semantics of how long and how old, but kids in the woods is a good thing, period. Many other states have youth seasons that are very successful.

I'm a DNR employee. License sales isn't the driving force. Actual youth involvement in the sport(s) I love is.

• Thumbs Up 3

huntnfish

I am for the move to statewide but my reasons are somewhat selfish. I have a 9 and 7 year old. If my 9 year old decides she wants to deer hunt this will allow me to hunt locally next year without tons of other hunters in the woods. I think getting kids outdoors is a big thing nowadays with the declining participation. Growing up there was no youth season so I went out with everyone else and froze in a tree. The weather should be more favorable in October. The weather and less hunters should help ensure it be a positive experience for both the adult and youth hunter. 

MJ1657

I think it's great. I can't see any down side to this. Get the kids out there and hooked. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Kettle

I shot my first duck in 98 on youth waterfowl day. It was a hen wood duck and it is something that I won't forget. My first year deer hunting was the following year and I remember paying full price (same as everyone else) for that liscence. Could I shoot a doe without lottery? That year I could but there were several years as a youth it was lottery no matter the age.

I think youth hunts are a great thing! It is a great opportunity to show ethical and safe hunting practices. Most people I've talked to that are against it didn't have youth hunts when they were kids, I would imagine if they did they would have participated and wouldn't be spiteful. I even had family members complaining about me hunting the farm we had at the time on youth opener and scaring all the birds away. 

Declining numbers of hunters lead to less advocating for hunting and less and less opportunities, hence why we should support these hunts not only for the youths but for the longevity of the sport

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer
Posted (edited)

Get em in the woods and off their phones! Who am I kidding?  Off the phone?  I can’t even do that anymore.

But at least they can take pics, text friends and post on whatever media they like.  I just hope the teaching to appreciate what is actually going on out there isn’t lost on taking advantage of a freebie, so to speak.

I never had a youth day growing up.  It was right of passage to finally earn my way into the grown up hunting world and I loved every frozen numb finger, wet boot, hungry, thirsty minute of it.  But I didn’t have many other convenient competing interests either.  Like it or not those old days are gone. It’s about the best opportunity to teach the up and comers that will replace us and it’s up to us to teach them right without our own needs distracting us. 

BTW, don’t forget to teach them to share with fellow hunters out there.  Lack of opportunities kills participation in the adult hunting pool too.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3