• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rick

OutdoorMN News - Herbicide applications to help reforestation efforts in the Littlefork area

Rick

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will begin herbicide applications on select state lands to improve reforestation efforts. Applications will begin around July 15 and continue through approximately September 15 on select parcels in the Pine Island, Smokey Bear and Koochiching state forests.

Signs will be posted on all herbicide treatment sites. Adjacent landowners within a quarter mile of the treatment sites have already been notified. Herbicides will not be applied within 100 feet of any waterbody, following DNR herbicide application guidelines.

The DNR plants trees on state lands to reforest harvested areas, provide wildlife habitat, protect watersheds, and maintain healthy forests. Part of the reforestation process involves applying herbicides to the harvested areas prior to or following tree planting.

Herbicides are sprayed on the ground after reforestation to reduce competing woody vegetation. This gives tree seedlings a better chance to grow and survive.

In smaller treatment areas, herbicides are sprayed from the ground.  In large treatment areas, helicopters do aerial spraying using precise GPS-guided mapping. The DNR uses minimal amounts of herbicide only when absolutely necessary. The DNR uses a non-neonicotinoid herbicide that has been proven safe for bees and other pollinators.

This past spring in the Littlefork area, the Forestry Division planted more than 9,000 seedlings on 15 acres, and an additional 2,000 acres were seeded. Statewide, more than 1.9 million seedlings were planted on state forest lands and more than 5,300 acres were seeded this year.

For additional information on sites treated with herbicide in the Littlefork area, contact Lars Helleloid at 218-286-3334.

More information about the DNR’s Forestry Division can be found on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/forestry.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

delcecchi

Who writes this stuff? Neo nicitonoids are insecticides, not herbicides so far as I know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fishingdad
      July for me.   I have had a couple openers that were pretty thin soup as well.   
    • delcecchi
      Who writes this stuff? Neo nicitonoids are insecticides, not herbicides so far as I know.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Was nice to hear that the Croix upstream of Stillwater was pretty much normal level, so I fished out of Osceola yesterday. Was an absolute beautiful day to be out! Didn’t get as hot as expected, nice and cloudy, and a nice wind blowing upstream. For the first time in history, I didn’t cast a twister tail on the river. For some reason I was deadset on jointed rapalas and clacking raps. Only caught 1 smallie, 1 walleye, and 1 pike. Lost about 5 fish, 1 of which I suspect was a turtle. Overall experience resulted in one of my better outings of the season!    
    • eyeguy 54
      my iPhone 5s att might be for sale soon for cheap. ordered a 6s to try. 
    • waterspaniel
      any reports/pics/vids of storm damage on the North Arm from this weeks storms?  general locations would help too.  Thanks!
    • BigVwalters
      Always have had struggles in July.  Lots of forage to keep them fish full this time of year.   
    • TrueNorth
      MarkB is the best.  So glad to hear from him.  Master. 
    • Wanderer
      Anyone Got an old smartphone they’re not using anymore???  
    • Rick
      You can expect excellant walleye fishing with little competition. Don't be afraid to take a trip over to Elephant lake to chase some slab crappies as well. The feed bag should be on.
    • CC2501
      Does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots on the Minnesota River in Carver. Not Carver County, but the city of Carver. The river is pretty high right now, so I don't know if that affects anything. I know this one little ledge you can go to once you are inside the campground, and I have seen evidence of people fishing these, given some got a lure stuck to a log in the water with line still attached. And, what kind of lures should I be using. I wanna go for anything, except maybe catfish or muskies, because I don't have the gear for those. I did see a post the other day about shore fishing for White Bass on the Minnesota in Mankato, so would something like that be good for me? I guess my one question would be, let's say I am trying to jig with a soft plastic, how do I "avoid" the current? Thanks for any tips anyone can give me! If not in Carver, than in the nearby area, like Chaska, Jordan, etc.