• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rick

OutdoorMN News - Herbicide applications to help reforestation efforts in the Littlefork area

Rick

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will begin herbicide applications on select state lands to improve reforestation efforts. Applications will begin around July 15 and continue through approximately September 15 on select parcels in the Pine Island, Smokey Bear and Koochiching state forests.

Signs will be posted on all herbicide treatment sites. Adjacent landowners within a quarter mile of the treatment sites have already been notified. Herbicides will not be applied within 100 feet of any waterbody, following DNR herbicide application guidelines.

The DNR plants trees on state lands to reforest harvested areas, provide wildlife habitat, protect watersheds, and maintain healthy forests. Part of the reforestation process involves applying herbicides to the harvested areas prior to or following tree planting.

Herbicides are sprayed on the ground after reforestation to reduce competing woody vegetation. This gives tree seedlings a better chance to grow and survive.

In smaller treatment areas, herbicides are sprayed from the ground.  In large treatment areas, helicopters do aerial spraying using precise GPS-guided mapping. The DNR uses minimal amounts of herbicide only when absolutely necessary. The DNR uses a non-neonicotinoid herbicide that has been proven safe for bees and other pollinators.

This past spring in the Littlefork area, the Forestry Division planted more than 9,000 seedlings on 15 acres, and an additional 2,000 acres were seeded. Statewide, more than 1.9 million seedlings were planted on state forest lands and more than 5,300 acres were seeded this year.

For additional information on sites treated with herbicide in the Littlefork area, contact Lars Helleloid at 218-286-3334.

More information about the DNR’s Forestry Division can be found on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/forestry.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

delcecchi

Who writes this stuff? Neo nicitonoids are insecticides, not herbicides so far as I know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jeff_s
      SkunkedAgain, I’m sure my friends with the Incinolet would be happy to show it to you. They’re on Grassy Point. PM me and I’ll hook you up with them. 
    • muskie-mike
      I use 12 lb suffix 832 and find i use 4 ft of line for every foot of depth with a 30 ft mono leader...  
    • Raven77
      The most interesting thing I've seen on the lake is loons flocking up to fly south.  Saw this on Norwegian Bay October 9, 2018.  There had to be at least 200 of them, including some clearly too young to make the trip.
    • Raven77
      I've been having good luck with lead core as well.  I use Suffix 832, with line counter reels.  Each color is 30 feet of line.  As a rule of thumb, every 1 foot of depth requires 5 feet of line, so if you are fishing at 30' FOW you would let out 150' of line, or 5 colors.  Trolling speed affects how deep your crank is running as well (slower is deeper).  I usually run between 2.2 and 2.5 mph.  As a check, you can keep letting out line until your crank starts bumping bottom and then reel up 10' of line.  
    • ozzie
      I hear ya on the difficulties fishing any lobe of Whitefish on the weekends!  Just have to get up and be done before 10am or go back out after 6pm and the lake settles a little.  We trolled "lower" WF on Thursday evening and only caught 1 northern.  Didn't appear to have as thick of a gathering of fish... We went back out on Saturday morning to try our luck on Whitefish for Whitefish and in 2 hours caught 1 3.5lb'er and missed a few bites.  Wow can they be fun to pull out of 50-70 ft of water.  We use jigging raps but wow do whitefish bit lightly but put up a good fight...and there are plenty of them on the big lakes!!!  Good fish on the smoker too!! 
    • Borch
      I sent fish them suspended in the basin areas.  Do get a few any off bottom near weed edges and suspending near flats that drop sharply.  Like Bobt I have had good results trolling cranks over and around weeds.   Also, midlake humps with spinner rigs/crawler or jigging raps can be very good.   Panfish can be awesome.   However I had trouble pinning down many nice ones today.  So even they are not a guarantee.  Maybe I will have a better report soon as I will be up through Thursday evening. 
    • ozzie
      Well we launched there this weekend and the inspector made sure he was off the tar and parked out of the way.  We thanked him and he said "it sure would make things a lot more difficult if someone were parked in the lined off area to pull around in!"  WOW!!!! was nice to have an inspector with common courtesy and common sense!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fishing remains excellent with a nice mix of eaters, slots and trophy walleyes.   Two great ways to catch walleyes this time of year, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 36' of water.  Cover water by drifting or trolling.  Crawler harnesses (snelled spinners) in hammered gold, pink, glow or orange with a 1-2 ounce weight.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Get lures down with lead core line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer, snap weights, 3 way rig or downriggers.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.   On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits this time of year to cover water is effective.  Mix of walleyes and saugers.  Sturgeon anglers targeting deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges.  Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle via boat.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   Strong walleye bite with lots of eater fish on the mud adjacent to reefs and islands throughout the Angle.  Much like the south end, spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing good numbers of fish.  Pike and muskies being caught casting bays and trolling rocky point areas.  Smallies in their summer pattern, 4 - 15' in rocky areas. 
    • Mike89
      the fur makes me think deer
    • chaffmj
      Looks like the ones I have found and they were from deer. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.