• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crawfish - South Lake Minnetonka Area

Hello all,

I am a Texas transplant to Minnesota. Love the fishing here through my first 2 years!

I have seen some youtube videos of some guys catching crawfish a few years ago in the Maple Grove area, but I am wondering if there is anywhere here in the south Lake Minnetonka area to catch crawfish? 

I have built 4 traps, and tried using smelt, chicken necks, and fish guts from cleaned fish.  I have had no luck.  I tried putting traps so far in 2-5 feet of water along a few places:  West side Lotus Lake,  Purgatory Creek Trail bridge (right next to HWY 62),  and Minnehaha creek right behind the Minnetonka Ice Rinks. Someone told me I shouldn't try to catch, for eating, crawfish in Lake Minnetonka.   Anyways, save for 1 crawfish in Lotus Lake, I have caught none so far.  I set traps at late afternoon and checked next day 24 hours later.  

I know there are crawfish here, and I want to catch them, but I am not having any success yet.  I appreciate any advice anyone has. 

I would love to boil some up soon!

ETG

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to the forums.  You may want to check the MN DNR for lakes with Rusty crayfish in them or Google.

They will be the biggest crayfish for a boil found in MN.  Good luck. 

www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/images_rustycrayfish