• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out of agate in 2 harbors on Saturday from about 8 am to 2 pm after missing the last couple weekends (family vaca). Tough bite. Had 1 short strike on the rigger at 50' with a spoon and 1 screamer hit a tail dancer long lined on a board (must've been a pretty good sized steelie as I've never seen a board disappear behind the boat like that before). Unfortunately it came unpinned. 0 for 2 in 6 hrs of fishing. Tried depths from 20 to 70, tried plugs, spoons, flies, etc. Talked to another gent at the dock and they managed 14. Really love hearing that when you come off defeated and someone out in the same area doing mostly the same things lights them up.

Looking at getting a fishhawk x2 to try and find the thermocline and get on the fish faster. Anyone have experience with the down temp/speed devices on the market and are they a must have like I've heard from some?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

FishHawk and Depth Raider are your choices as Sub Troll and Canon are no longer manufactured. 

If you don't have any of the above your relying what you see on your sounder and for speed your looking at the blow back or the timing of the thump from a Flasher.   Interpreting speed at the ball this way is a guessing game but it works along with varying your speed. It might not tell you a precise speed but you should be slowing and speeding up not matter what method for speed your using.  If you set your speed at 2.5 and stick there all day your probably won't boat as many fish as if you were coming in and out of 2-3 MPH all day.    Would speed and temp at the ball be useful, absolutely. Wouldn't it be nice to know that fish hit at 75' down in 45 degree water at 2.8 MPH.   Maybe you it was on a speed up or down when it hit too.    

• I Like it 1

Went out late last week out of the Wisc entry and dropped a line in 55 feet of water and nailed one right off the bat before setting any other lines out. Trolled till 100am and we picked up 5 lakers and one nice walleye. Walleye went back.

Most on dipseys and one came off a  4 oz snap weight right off the back with spoons. No particular coleor

• Thumbs Up 2

One of the lakers had 14 pieces of minnows in it's gut!! And it still attacked my spoon

• Wow, ❤ 1

Went out of superior entry yesterday morning. Found some decent laker action. They were all on the small side and most all of them came in 52 fow on the riggers set at 45 ft. Ended up with 7 lakers and a bonus walleye. Had a lot of quick releases on the riggers as well so probably smaller Lakers. 

• I Like it 1

On 8/30/2019 at 4:58 PM, Wishin4Walleyes said:

Any reports from this week? Headed out tomorrow and debating south shore vs north shore

Went out today and motored on over to the Wisconsin entry. Four lake trout, one salmon, and a 23 inch walleye that went back into the lake.  Spoons, of course

A lot of something was jumping out there early this morning. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

What a grind out there this weekend. That cold water that blew up in sure slowed the bite down. Only managed 2 small lakers on saturday and 3 small lakers today out of the superior entry. Fished the entry to the amnicon area over 2 days and never got anything rolling. Tried the walleye bite for a few hrs today with no luck. Hope it turns around soon.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the Washburn area ( sioux area)  and catching didnt happen ,,, Switched to the so shore and went 10 for 11 with a nice mix of cohos,, browns and lakers ,,,, water temp was mid to hi 40s and every fish that bit was less then 15ft down ,,, Hope to get back there soon before the coho spawn and laker season closes 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. That's pretty darn good. What general area were you in on the south shore? Superior entry to amnicon was dead, dead on saturday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Don't any of you people bring a camera for us folks who can't fish the big lake! ?  

• Yayyyy 1

On 9/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, Wishin4Walleyes said:

Wow. That's pretty darn good. What general area were you in on the south shore? Superior entry to amnicon was dead, dead on saturday.

A little closer to the apostle islands ,,, Not going to give specifics cuz I dont need the traffic in the area ,,,, Leech Im not a pic taking type of guy but one of the browns exceeded 27 inches  and a hen 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

On 9/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, leech~~ said:

Don't any of you people bring a camera for us folks who can't fish the big lake! ?  

These smaller lake trout were excellent eating. 

I actually wrapped up my Lake Superior fishing and have been hitting some of the inland lakes 

699958D1-8F1D-4FC3-9D08-2F2F0B54814A.jpeg

57C36914-4430-4328-8603-50AB6DA3F9B7.jpeg

Edited by tacklejunkie
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Lake Superior fishing can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it

I’ve done dipsey, downrigger’s, wire, planer boards, stick baits, spoons, flasher flies,  lead core… Etc. etc.    Caught fish on them all. 

Then I realized I was living up to my handle, tackle junkie, sold everything, and now just use dipseys and spoons and a 12 ounce ball if I really want to go deep with spoons. I have no trouble catching fish from spring to fall 

One year, I was trolling crawler harnesses out by Barkers Island  for walleyes and caught my two walleye limit pretty early and decided just for fun to troll out the Wisconsin entry with crawler harnesses. I actually caught a couple fish doing that.  That was many years ago and that started the peak in my interest in Lake Superior fishing 

I am not a Superior pro by any means. But I more often than not do get on fish.  If I was a Lake Superior  guide, I would have a reason to keep all that extra stuff. But I fish for fun and I like to keep it simple now

• Thumbs Up 1

Went and tried the cornucopia area yesterday. Took my mom out. Spent about 6 hrs out there and only managed 1 small laker and 1 small coho. Both fish came on 1 - 2 colors of lead. Was marking lots of fish in 60-80' and had the riggers set there. Nothing on the riggers. Frustrating. I've got the week off and would really love to find a bite before the season closes.

• I Like it 1

I fished Bark Bay monday ,,, went 3 for 6  with 1 coho and 2 lean lakers ,,, Watermelon spoons took most of the hits and we stayed in 28 to 35 FOW ,,,, Never put baits down below 15ft ,,,, Lost a dandy brown that came unbuttoned 15ft along side the boat ,, Got a good look at it in the clear water in the bay ,,, I would try the Washburn area next and fish close to the Sioux or Onion 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1