• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why Do You Fish?

fish_time

Why do you fish? We all have different goals when we go fishing. Some of us want a meal of fish to eat. Some of us just want to relax. Most of all, we want that "TROPHY" catch. We want something to brag to our friends about, the "Master Angler". 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Parents fished and I started very early in life. I fish because it's fun. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

Similar to eyeguy, I fished when I was young with my parents. At some points it was about trying to catch big fish for me, now days it's for relaxing and teaching kids to fish. 

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Parents fished and I started very early in life. I fish because it's fun. :) 

same here!!! doesn't hurt to have lived close to the horseshoe chain and having a cabin in Itasca county!!!!!!

nuttin better then a meal of fish straight from the lake to the fish cleaning shack to the plate either!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Growing up in South Dakota I learned to enjoy the fishing I got to do in the Watertown area with great grandpa and the Missouri River and Black Hills fishing with Grandpa. It's a little different than what I see here in Minnesota but the basics are the same. Seems to be more emphasis on fish size than fishery quality or maybe I was just raised different.  Either way it was always about the beauty of nature and learning a valuable skill from 2 knowledgeable individuals. Now I just try to pass those skills on to the next generation and hope they learn how to protect our resources as well as I was taught.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why do I fish??!!?? It's simple. Because I NEED TO FISH!!  I mean, what else is there?? Fishing is my church. Fishing is my therapy. Fishing is my home. Fishing is my vacation. Fishing is my best friend. FISHING IS MY LIFE!! C & R IS MY FUTURE! Please let me be fishing in my final moments, or let me fish forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do it because I enjoy it.  I used to do it more to harvest and eat them, but as I got older I realized that keeping fish has very little to do with it anymore.  So now I pretty much release almost everything.  I also do it for the challenge of it, especially muskie fishing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I grew up fishing with my grandparents and my dad. Luckily I still get to fish with my dad. Now I get to take my wife and my own kids. Some day I hope to take and teach grandchildren. I fish for the challenge, the occasional delicious meal, the companionship, the quiet, and the memories. Every outing offers something different. My oldest daughter was home for a week last summer and we got out for an early morning bass outing. We caught several fun fish, the lake was calm and quiet. The loons were calling, an eagle flew above us and 2 deer ambled down to the shore. She looked at me with a smile and said "I get why you love this".  I know you all understand what I am saying. I fish for all of the things it means to mean and gives to me. From sunfish to salmon it is all special!

• Thumbs Up 4

Earliest fishing I remember I was 5 or 6 catching bullheads in Stewart lake near dad's farm. In Oct. dad would winter on Long Boat Key Fl. fishing Sarasota/Tampa bay and Gulf of Mexico many variety fish, stone & blue crab, cast netting, shrimping. Jr./Sr. High ran mate on Mar Vista Charters after King Mackeral and Red Snapper. During summers we fished mom's home town lakes in Ottertail, and over to Grand Rapids & Walker. Even threw a line with a leg of beef off the Fantail of the USS Constalation during 2 tours in the South China Sea targeting sharks good thing we never hooked one. Later had a home on Comfort for 35 years, take the kids out after work for a dozen or so crappie for dinner. In my Sr. years I moved from buying to building fishing items, wheel house, under water cameras, augers, shanties giving much more gratification to the art of fishing. This summer's projects - riding snow dog & drop down Snitty Sled for 2 man flip. As one ages energy leaves you. Been on water most of my life, fishing was natural.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 2

Earliest memory for me was age 3 on the bank of the Miss with a cane pole.  Been through many cycles of “evolution”, if you will, including fishing tournament circuits.  That’s well behind me now since I fish to just enjoy it for what it is and where it takes me.  I’m drawn to water.

My most recent cycle has me chasing muskies a bit like @gimruis  They’re some freaky fish.  I just spent a week chasing them in Canada and witnessed some memorable encounters that made my hands shake and knees knock without even catching the fish that I saw!  

Aside from the fish, there’s the deer that swim across the lake, the sow bear and cubs that huff/wheeze when you get too close and the loons that swim around the boat while you’re casting or make their chilling calls to their mates when they’re only 50 feet away.  Good long days on the water working in synch with a good partner, short but restful nights of sleep, and occasionally forgetting what day it is.

It’s a game that wakes up my senses and makes me feel whole.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Without fishing in my life, I'd never get to see sights like this sunrise on one of my favorite smallie lakes. This was my second lake of the day already this morning.?IMG_20190626_051416924_HDR.thumb.jpg.568ef029d85d9a6714f0ba8307ad0f36.jpgIMG_20190626_052301459.thumb.jpg.ba4630ed8ffe38faefa72ce79a07f5c5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3