• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

macgruber

So I’m bringing the family up to Flour Lake campground over the 4th of July.  I grew up camping and fishing the Canadian side of Sag every chance we got, but haven’t fished any of the lakes on the trail.  I really wanted to stay at Two Island, as it sounds like the bass fishing there is great, but none of the sites are reservable ahead of time and I didn’t want to drive up and have to go on a campground hunt.  We still might buzz over there for a day, but I was looking for recommendations on some lakes closer to the trail.  

I have two little kids who are just getting into fishing, so I was hoping for action, size is just a bonus. I’m guessing walleye fishing will be off the table with the patience factor limiting how much time I can search for fish with two kids along.  I was leaning towards smallmouth as the kids can both cast and that always held my attention more as a kid.  We’ll likely only keep enough for one fish dinner over the weekend.  Thanks in advance for any help!

JBMasterAngler
Posted (edited)

Flour Lake is a nice place to camp. Fishing there is a complete waste of time however. West Bearskin Lake is just down the road a little farther. Full of bass, and an occasional lake trout. Hungry Jack Lake is a really good bass lake, both numbers and size. It’s also one of the only lakes up there with a good sunfish population. Two Island Lake is worth a visit, as it’s by far the best bass lake up there! 

Hungry Jack Lodge offers campsites. Unless you’re looking for a more primitive experience, I’d try to get a site there.

Edited by JBMasterAngler

macgruber

Thanks!  Yeah, I was thinking Hungry Jack would be worth a look.  My dad is going to meet us up there and I’m sure he’d like a chance at a walleye.  And the bluegill and bass combo with kids sounds fun.  

What about Greenwood or Clearwater?  I’ve seen mentioned a couple places they might have decent bass populations?  Would either be worth a look?  Or just stick to those mentioned?

Any tips on what to use and depths in early July- most likely slip bobbering and casting with the kids.... certainly not opposed to trolling if there’s fish.  

macgruber

If it was just me I’d do the campground at the lodge, but was trying to get a wilderness feel with camping and the sites at Flour looked fairly nice..... I know we’re forfeiting fishing there....

JBMasterAngler

Hungry Jack has a dock to fish off of, a swimming beach, and showers/running water. So that might be a bonus for the kids. Greenwood is a good numbers lake. 200 bass a day is not uncommon. Kids won’t care, but they’re all little ones. Catching lakers while bass fishing is pretty common there also. 

With how goofy the weather has been so far, bass could still be in spring locations come 4th of July. Which, if that’s the case, fishing will be as easy as can be. Just target the shorelines. 

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

For eye two island a good bet  or east twin lake. We normally fish devilfish or Tom lake up the arrowhead trail for eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Hard to find a lake up the trail not chock-full of invasive smallmouth. Slip bobbers and leeches, and cast towards shoreline rock piles. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

macgruber

Thanks for the tips, I’ll report back after and let you know how we do.  Very excited to get up there.....

macgruber

I guess one other query.  If we were to switch things up and take an afternoon to hike and fish a trout lake in the area, any recommendations on one to sample?  It looks like Kimball has a trail and some shore fishing spots, just no recent DNR sampling data.  Sounded like it was going to be reclaimed but wasn’t sure how it was fishing now.  That one or any others worth a try for some stream trout?

rumeye

Mink lake right by Kimball has a trail on the south end off the road you can walk. It's pretty cool you end up on some small cliffs you can fish off of. There is trout in there also. Pine trestle over by Two island has Splake in it has nice shore fishing spots caught a few there.

macgruber

Those are great, thanks!  The Mink/Kimball combo might be the ticket as it also looks like there’s a sandy swimming beach on mink so when the kids get tired of humoring dad and his need to fish, they can play in the water!

rumeye

I will be up next week staying at trout lake resort down the road from Kimball and Mink. Going to hit a few lakes in the area. Will give an update on the 1st of July.

• Thumbs Up 1

JBMasterAngler

Mink and Kimball have been phenomenal ever since they were poisoned! Kimball has a hiking trail that goes around the entire lake. Both lakes are very productive from shore. Pine Trestle is much better in the fall. If you have waders, that would be a major plus.

macgruber

Any chance at trout on the surface or near it this time of year?  I have limited experience fishing the stocked lakes for trout but do love me some fly fishing..... seem to remember some evening mayfly hatches on Sag getting some pods of small smallmouth round 4th of July when I was a kid.... could easily be misremembering time of year though.

Vlad Nechai

Speak of the devil. I and my wife love to hike. Hiking on the highest of mountains is just so amazing. Her birthday is coming up and I need to figure out what she might like. I came across http://animalcareforartists.org/ and had the best idea to get her a cooler for her truck. We often drive a lot too, we all know how hot it can get in a truck while driving for miles. I think she will be happy with the gift.

Edited by Vlad Nechai

JBMasterAngler

As long as there are bugs to eat, the trout will always hit the surface. As summer progresses, there will be less and less trout to catch.

• Thumbs Up 1