• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

fireman182

2019 Opener On Kitchie And Cass

fireman182

Just thought I would see who is all going up to Kitchie and Cass this opener.  We'll be back again and trying our luck.  I'm stuck to the dock on pike hole this year due

to some severe nerve damage in my leg and can't get into a boat 😫.  Hoping that the walleye will still be in the river there.  Well, it's not really about the fishing in the end

it's about spending time with a few uncles and cousins that I get to see about once a year during opener.  I have one uncle flying in this year from out east that I haven't seen

in 23 years so that should be fun.  This will mark the 28 year we have all been meeting up there.  What a special place even if the fish don't cooperate some years.  Best of

wishes and safe boating to all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Getanet

Going to Cass the weekend after Opener. Have never fished it but can't wait to add another lake I can't catch a walleye on to my list. Good luck this weekend!

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

We'll be on Kitchi the weekend after opener.   I would think the area you are talking about will still be good for some post spawn males. Those necked down current areas always seem to hold fish.20180519_090008.thumb.jpg.ab7963d1115ea05c16147a216dbb405b.jpg

These outings are always about the people you're there with.  The fish are a bonus.  Here's a muskie from Kitchie the weekend after opener last year caught fishing for walleyes. 

Minners79

Headed up tmrw. Fireman182, if I see you on the dock at the Pike Hole, I will say hello. We always make a few runs in there every year. Tight lines and be safe out there!

Getanet

How did you guys do?  From what I've read online it sounds like it was kind of a tough opener around the state with the weather cooperating but not the walleye.

Minners79

Water temps on the north end of Cass and outlet of Andrusia were both in the upper 40's. Caught enough out of our group for a meal on Saturday. Better luck on leeches than spot-tailed shiners. It was pretty breezy on Saturday. Bite has been better in the past (especially trolling).

Borch

Was in the pole building in the boat tonight getting my plastics, jigs, cranks and panfish gear ready for the upcoming weekend.  Will post a report when I get back if not sooner.

fireman182

Well, it was a good weekend up fishing.  I got back to the cities on Tuesday afternoon and wish I was still up there,  Such a relaxing area that we have visited for about 45 years. Fun to look at pictures of when I was 6 or 7 going up with family as well.  The yellow cabin on the west side of the river and north of the bridge used to be a resort that we stayed at back in the day.   We stay at Anderson's resort for the last 25 years or so next to the Pike Hole bar and grill, no bells and whistles but great people.   The water was quite high this year compared to the last few years.  My group did fairly well, I did not fair so well with the fishing end of things.  It was a lot tougher getting around  on crutches than anticipated, but was still fun to hang out with family.  I made it down to the dock three times to try my luck and struck out every time.  The old saying of you should have been down here tonight was thrown out a couple times.  I tried earlier in the evenings and didn't stick it out long enough each time.  Oh well, next year.  Some spots on the north end of Kitchi did real well for a group at the resort and the river mouth on Cass coming out of Pike Hole did quite well for others.  Not a fast and furious bite, but enough for a big fish fry and for most to take home a limit.  Bonus to do that.  Hopefully those heading up in the near future will have great success and make great memories again.  Best of luck to all.

The musky below was caught out in front of the resort in the river on Saturday by a gentleman staying at the resort also on a walleye rig.  It took about a half hour for him to land and release it.  Fun time for everyone.

musky.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

Well walleye fishing has been fair to good depending on when you're fishing.  Jigs and plastics or trolling cranks have been putting nice eyes in the boat.  Walleyes have been shallow with many in and around the remaining reed and cane beds.  At night they have been cruising the flats.

Panfish have been tough to get going with the weather but hoping tomorrow is a bit calmer and settled.

Water temps have been in the 53-55 degree range.  The water is high and getting higher with all the rain.

Coach1310

Great to see some reports on this thread.  We are heading up this weekend for our annual trip.  Water temps seem to be very low compared to the norm for our trip.  Borch- did you find any warmer water or panfish on Sunday?

Getanet

Went up on Friday. We fished quite a bit during the afternoon and again from about 5-9 pm. We didn't have any luck with walleye, although we caught a couple of nice northerns and few decent perch. Friday night it started raining around 10:30 p.m. and didn't really stop until about 1pm on Saturday. We were camping and by that time all our gear was wet, we were cold, and decided when the rain let-up for a bit to pack up and get out of there. 

So my spring trip was pretty much 1 decent day of fishing and two days of rain and wind.  Saw a few boats landing walleyes, but it didn't look like anyone was really on a hot bite.

Borch
On 5/20/2019 at 8:26 AM, Coach1310 said:

Great to see some reports on this thread.  We are heading up this weekend for our annual trip.  Water temps seem to be very low compared to the norm for our trip.  Borch- did you find any warmer water or panfish on Sunday?

Topped out at 55 degrees Sunday afternoon.  Did ok on panfish, just really tough fishing in the howling wind.  The male crappies are getting really dark.

Borch

@Getanet Tough weekend for learning new water.  If you head up that way again shoot me a pm.  I have a lot of time on Cass and usually do pretty well.  I will be up there the second week of June for a couple weeks. 

Coach1310

Thanks for the update Borch.  Looks like weather will play a pretty big role for us too.  Looks like multiple fronts coming through over the weekend.  Any tactics for panfish better than any other?  We did well on Kitchi last year, but have struck out other years.  We fish many lakes in the area, so some years we don't hit Kitchi either.  This year with cool temps and a fair amount of wind forecasted, we may seek smaller waters.  Thanks again for the info.

Borch

I think the panfish are in transition yet and with the weather they are sliding up shallow into vegetation and then deep when the water temps drop again with the cold rains.  

If you're looking for a mixed bag put on a beettle spin and cast around the reeds.  Bigger panfish, bass, walleyes and pike are all up there in search of food.

Getanet

Thanks for the offer Borch. I don't have plans to be on Cass anytime soon, but I will certainly get in touch the next time I do. Good luck during your trip, I hope the weather cooperates.

fishing bill

Going up to Cass Lake Walleye fishing June 6-8 any recent reports thanks for any updates.