• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

John Schulz

Shore Fishing - Detroit Lakes Area?

John Schulz

Looking for some fun easy Shore fishing spots. New to fishing as an adult, only fished when I was 10-13 in scouts. From California having moved to Moorhead Oct 18, just got fishing license for my wife and I. 

Bought some poles and gear and just wondering if anyone can point me in the directions of some great spots to fish off shore, as we do not have a boat. 

Thank you. 

Edited by John Schulz

paceman

Dunton Locks on Lake Sallie has a fishing pier, and there will be a fishing pier into Little Detroit Lake. Not sure how good the fishing is as I have never fished there but they get used quite a bit so it must be OK. I have also seen quite a few folks shore fishing the Otter Tail river by Highway 10 just past Frazee. There is also a culvert on County Road 22 just past Sunlite Bar that gets some shore fishing. They usually fish the Little Floyd side.

John Schulz

@paceman Thank you for the info.

Last weekend to just drive around we went around Detroit lake clockwise, came up by Munson lake, Fox lake and Sallie lake and ended up at north end of Big Cormorant Lake.

Most places I saw were home/cabin fronts and so we simply stopped at North end of B.Cormorant across from Hooligans Lakside bar/grill to practice some casting with our new poles from the Public Access area. 

chickenlips

Several decent areas around Pelican Lake.  Bucks Mill, Pelican River between Buck's Mill and Pelican Lake.  Also a creek that comes in near marina on the Northwest end of Pelican Lake (use waders and fish at night for walleyes).  Big crappies at the right time of year at  Bridge on Hwy 59 at Dunvilla.  Haven't been in those areas for several years, but I bet they are still great shore fishing.  Waders are real helpful when shore fishing.  Good Luck.  Use tick protection.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Aidan
      By Aidan
      Anybody have any tips or secrets they care to share about fishing rush for large mouths in early June I am a high school bass angler ad our first tournament is there. If you have anything that could give some insight please do share.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Went to go panfishing and found myself in a bass feeding frenzy in the weeds. It is crazy to see how slow these big bass inhale the bait in the winter. First fish probably pushed 5lbs. Too much fun on light gear!

• Monkster
      By Monkster
      Hi guys! It's been a while since I've posted, most likely last year! I run a fishing contest on Lake Gervais for a non-profit group called the Little Canada Recreation Association (www.lcraonline.org). The contest is this Saturday, starting at 10:30. It's a walk up contest. we drill all the holes...well, actually, the Roseville Boys Hockey team does! Line forms early and we let you go at 10:30am. We lots of food, booya  by the Little Canada Fire Dept., beer and mixed drinks! Lots of great fishing prizes and we will also be selling raffle tickets for $5. You'll have a chance to win the grand prize, which is a 70" TV plus $1000 cash! See the flyers below! Forecast is for 37 degrees on Saturday! One more thing, Joe's Sporting Goods has some free bait on the ice, fatheads and grubs, if you want suckers or anything else, bring them with. No outside alcohol (my license doesn't allow), we'll have plenty at great prices. We will also inspect everything on it's way in. Hope to see you there!

• Wanderer
      By Wanderer
      He passed yesterday at the age of 87.  Sad to hear.  I looked at some articles but didn’t the cause.  He was one person in the industry I would’ve enjoyed getting a chance to chat with for a while.
    • Dakota Loing
      By Dakota Loing
      Hey I was curious to see if there were any active fishing clubs near whitebear lake or forest lake 
    • Yetzer2468
      By Yetzer2468
      Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 
    • CC2501
      By CC2501
      Does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots on the Minnesota River in Carver. Not Carver County, but the city of Carver. The river is pretty high right now, so I don't know if that affects anything. I know this one little ledge you can go to once you are inside the campground, and I have seen evidence of people fishing these, given some got a lure stuck to a log in the water with line still attached. And, what kind of lures should I be using. I wanna go for anything, except maybe catfish or muskies, because I don't have the gear for those. I did see a post the other day about shore fishing for White Bass on the Minnesota in Mankato, so would something like that be good for me? I guess my one question would be, let's say I am trying to jig with a soft plastic, how do I "avoid" the current? Thanks for any tips anyone can give me! If not in Carver, than in the nearby area, like Chaska, Jordan, etc. 
    • CC2501
      By CC2501
      Does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots on the Minnesota River in Carver. Not Carver County, but the city of Carver. The river is pretty high right now, so I don't know if that affects anything. I know this one little ledge you can go to once you are inside the campground, and I have seen evidence of people fishing these, given some got a lure stuck to a log in the water with line still attached. And, what kind of lures should I be using. I wanna go for anything, except maybe catfish or muskies, because I don't have the gear for those. I did see a post the other day about shore fishing for White Bass on the Minnesota in Mankato, so would something like that be good for me? I guess my one question would be, let's say I am trying to jig with a soft plastic, how do I "avoid" the current? Thanks for any tips anyone can give me!
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• trumy
      Dropped through first layer to second layer of ice and got stuck were driving out from  burntside lodge on plowed road  have moved road some no problems good solid road buddy came from  up by lake of the woods last weekend one ton dually pulling his ice castle  went out from the lodge road caught 5 lakers on friday not sure how they did on Saturday 
    • SkunkedAgain
      That's the point Rick. jigginjim talked about leaving a portable out on the lake while he was gone (more than 200ft away). Therefore he needed to have his name on it. I think that we agree on this.
    • Chill62
      Hardest part is getting onto most lakes not driving around. if you can make it 75 yards onto a lake your golden. Saturday morning will be cold you'll be good. Saturday coming off you might have fun. Sunday might be soupy. 
    • PRO-V
      I knew I read that before!!
    • The Chemist
      Jeff: prayers for you that the procedure goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.
    • Ando009
      How are the lakes west of ottertail. Can you get around with a ranger on tires or should I bring sleds?
    • Mike89
      very interesting....
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Something that made me cuckle today and figured Id share. I was out today and went and looked at a smaller lake relatives speared or use to spear. There was about 38 spearing setups in a 200-300 yard circle. And get this, 90% of those holes were setup with the same type of portable house. This lake is about 400 acres. It use to have a great population of nice panfish and a healthy pike population. Now that these relatives have speared this lake the last 5 years the panfish are all tiny and theres only small pike left. And now those relitives complain that "there is no nice spearable pike left" and the panfishing is poor. Well all be darn who would think after years of spearing the same lake and taking multiple large pike (over 28") each time out the fishing would be horrible. Go figure! I'm all for spearing and do it my self and think its a great pass time. What i DONT enjoy is when people take and take from a fishery and never look back to see the path of destruction there creating. This really is the most disappointing thing about spearing for me :(.
    • JBMasterAngler
      That is my Grand Marais report, word for word from last June. Not really sure why that guy copied and pasted it.
    • Mike89

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.