• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

delcecchi
On 6/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Bbobber said:

Nice fish you got there Cigar Man. Ha I know where that is too.

Looks like Schmidt island to me

I don't agree.  Too many socks on Schmidt's island.

Wheres_Walter

Major mayfly hatch on frazer over the weekend.  We got out after walleyes on Saturday night and used leeches and crawlers.  1/2 crawler outfished leeches 2-1.   8 FOW.  

Also had a very active bite on smallies up shallow.  Not back on the V for a couple weeks.  😞

• Thumbs Up 1

Lunderfull

Hope the bug hatch clears up before this weekend heading up to visit the in-laws for the weekend. hope to get the bite going.

CigarGuy
On 6/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, delcecchi said:

I don't agree.  Too many socks on Schmidt's island.

Del, it's a new Schmidt Island/Narrows in Wakemup Bay. Named after me......the new fish catching machine😀

delcecchi

Cigar Strait.   Sounds great.

• l Love It 1

CigarGuy
On 6/17/2019 at 12:12 AM, BIGFISH.JZ said:

CigarGuy, I couldn't help but notice that the boat you're using appears to have the junk Merc fuel line that has cost boat owners a boat load of money by disintegrating the rubber liner inside and sending it downstream into your filters and carbs. The Merc is the right vintage and the line is the right (wrong) color. If you can find a speck of red or orange printing on it or if it feels soft when you squeeze it, you should cut it into pieces and toss it in the trash. If you are original owner and know 100% that non oxy 91 octane is the only type of gas ever used, maybe it will be fine. I wouldn't risk it though. Check my 'mercury fuel hose causes issues' thread on equipment and expert information forum for pics from this spring.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel line. I replaced it yesterday, this is what the existing fuel line looked like, hopefully, it didn't cause and damage!

1562426762287821355590.jpg

15624270066121347184403.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

james_walleye

Im finding the walleye fishing this week to be the toughest bite I've experienced since we've had a place up here since 2010. I can't believe how hard it is to get on pods of fish. Thursday morning I got on a pod for a while and got 4 really nice 15-17" fish. Wednesday morning got on a pod and caught a few keepers. Other than that it's been one here one there at best. Im kind of at a loss at this point. 

• Thanks 1

PSU

Been unusually tough for me and some friends I know up there all season....and my two friends are excellent fisherman who know the lake and area (Frazer/Smarts) very well. Seems as though the larger ones are there occasionally (caught a 23, 26 and 26 back-to-back last weekend), but not many keeper size

• Thanks 1

delcecchi

I have heard the fishing is better on west end.  Couldn't prove it by me....   

Was out the other evening,  perfect weather and basically no boats besides me.  Couple bass is all.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

JerkinLips

Nice fish, BrianF.  Was tough fishing for me July 1-3.  Caught one 23", one nice meal, and a couple of small eyes.  That was all.  Big leeches on a plain hook.  Tried crawlers a couple of times when very slow and didn't have any luck.  Never tried minnows.

• Thumbs Up 2

delcecchi

be nice if you folks would tell which section of the lake you were haulling all these fish in from. 

mbeyer

What I’m certain of, that picture can be replicated on east and west end.  Fish all over that lake.  Yes,  we’ve all had days where we can’t find a bite.  Had that over Memorial Day and it leads to frustration.  

What at a great picture. What a Great Lake........

• Thumbs Up 2

BIGFISH.JZ
On 7/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, CigarGuy said:

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel line. I replaced it yesterday, this is what the existing fuel line looked like, hopefully, it didn't cause and damage!

1562426762287821355590.jpg

15624270066121347184403.jpg

Looks like it was definitely starting to separate, but looks like you got rid of it just in time. Inspect your fuel filter and replace it if it shows signs of rubber particles. Glad I could help save you from lost fishing time and/or costly repairs. I can spot that stuff from a mile away, it has been the root of many a ruined day of fishing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi
21 hours ago, mbeyer said:

What I’m certain of, that picture can be replicated on east and west end.  Fish all over that lake.  Yes,  we’ve all had days where we can’t find a bite.  Had that over Memorial Day and it leads to frustration.  

What at a great picture. What a Great Lake........

Tis a wonderful lake, but anyone who denies the difference between the two ends over the last decade or so hasn't been paying attention.  

BrianF

Del, what do you see as the differences in the two sides? 

delcecchi
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, BrianF said:

Del, what do you see as the differences in the two sides? 

West end has many fewer small fish,  and fewer walleye in general.   Just look at test netting data. or even the new management plan.   evening reef bite died years ago.   Used to go sit on a reef with a slip bobber and pick up a fish or two or three.  That pattern hasn't worked for years, at least for HOL and Wakemup.   

I don't know what changed that caused the changes in fishing.    My semi-joking theory is all the bad septics got cleaned up and reduced the nutrient flow into the lake around here.   Other theories I have heard involve politics and the placement of the fry from the hatchery.   Cough Joe Cough.  

For sure I see very few folks fishing walleye, at least in the classical manner, when I am out.  Not many boats at all.    I spent a couple days with grandkids tubing and nobody was out doing anything even though the weather was perfect for water sports.   Did see a few Musky fishermen but that was about it.

Anybody else seeing much action?  The possibility that I just don't know what I am doing is also a possibilty.  
But the community spots that used to always have a few boats are totally vacant these days.  

Osprey nest

Woody's cove

Picnic Island

Boys Camp reef

Merry go round

Stove Top  

all deserted.

Edited by delcecchi

james_walleye

I thought this year's test netting showed much fewer walleyes on the east end and were now comparable to the west end? 

CigarGuy
Posted (edited)

This year has been the best bite for me on the west end of the lake in the 6 years I've had my place. Not great by any means, but at least I can go out and get a few fish every night. I have trouble finding fish durning the day, but from about 7pm till dark is when I have my best luck. Hard to catch a meal-all the walleyes are 22" to 27ish......nice problem😀. It did slow down a bit last wknd. There were a few mayflies out in Wakemup this past wknd. Crawlers and leeches were the bait of choice.

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

delcecchi

yep, I have heard that things are better this year on the west.  And maybe worse on the east.   From your lips to God's ears.

SkunkedAgain

Two weekends ago, I boated past Woody's just before sunset and there were about seven boats working it. I think that the walleye patterns definitely change over time and we need to keep adapting to those patterns if we want to find the fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

james_walleye

Steve are you able to stay on the west end crappies during the summer? 

Sorgy

I can find a few most of the time. But the motherload moves around. I have heard of large schools up towards Norwegian Bay in the fall that are deeper. Crappies are in some big schools around Head O Lakes bay.... Moving around. I typically start chasing them in August and do ok. My outings are very short and I have been known to leave biting crappies if I see other boats hanging around.

They are increasing on the West end. The last two whitefish netting seasons my dad has caught  at least one of them in his net. He has never caught one in his net before.

My typical setup is a bobber and jig with plastic- tubes, grub or Berkly Gulp. I move around and search out weed beds- most weeds on the lake will hold some crappies- timing is key. If they bite great. I need to diversify and try some other tactics once in a while. Still looking for a giant or two. The rod that is most fun with these bobber fish is a 9'  Berkley Crappie hunter. bobber twitches and you can set the hook as hard as you want. The rod takes all slack out on the hook set and they are fun to reel in total cost $35 at L&M with a reel. 

If you find them there can be some big ones. Last season I found lots of smaller fish. 2 years ago there was a big school of fish that got pounded by many boats over a 2 week period and almost every fish went into a livewell. 

Keep those 11" for the frying pan and let the 12+ fish go.

Pm  me if you need any more assistance.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

james_walleye

I was just curious. Our place is on big bay so I really never get to the west end. It's probably the one thing I wish was different about the east end is a panfish bite.