• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

outdoor1

Wow!  Those are nice!!!!!!!!!!

JV Ham Lake

We closed the cabin yesterday for another year.  The forecast for next weekend just looked too cold!  We decided to sell our Tracker and look for a new boat this fall/winter.  Anyone have opinions on a Lund Crossover 18 1/2' versus a Crestliner 1850 Super Hawk?  

mbeyer

I helped close the cabin, too, last weekend. Some tough weather , wind, rain, cold. But we did have a few windows of opportunity and caught fish near reefs/rock piles in Big Bay.......25 ft of water. Nice fish....

Tried some proven spring spots north of Pine Island in 10-15 ft of water with limited success. Also, fished the Dells area and saw BIG bait balls and fish but did not get them to bite.  30 ft of water. There was fish there......

52 degrees of water when we left on Sunday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

chucker1101
12 hours ago, JV Ham Lake said:

We closed the cabin yesterday for another year.  The forecast for next weekend just looked too cold!  We decided to sell our Tracker and look for a new boat this fall/winter.  Anyone have opinions on a Lund Crossover 18 1/2' versus a Crestliner 1850 Super Hawk?  

Both are good boats. I think the Lunds fit and finish are better than Crestliner. But you pay for it. I'd consider the Alumacraft Trophy 185 as well. IMHO, a better boat for the money than either of those.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Pat McGraw

Cigar Guy, Were the crappies in the weeds or open water?

CigarGuy

Both, caught more along shorelines. When the sun came out for any length of time, bite slowed way down. Good thing the weather sux most of the time!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

outdoor1

Caught a limit of nice 14”-15” fish (walleye) on Wednesday. Pulling lead core on big bay. 20 to 25 feet #5 rap at 2 mph. Took all afternoon but nice fish. 

Edited by outdoor1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

CigarGuy

We were out from around 11 to 430. I was looking for u, caught them in the same areas we're always working. We left when it really started to downpour. We were using a "Bob" rig😀. We'll be up Thursday night, boat is pulled, might not get it out. Only wknd to winterize it before deer season.

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2

muskie-mike

Wish I could find some crappies in the Fectos pt area...

• Thumbs Up 1

outdoor1

Musky mike,  I am right there with you!  I ventured from the east end all the way to black bay the other day without even a bite from a crappie. Sooner or later I will stumble on to them. 😁

• Confused 1

Bbobber

Muskie-mike, outdoor1

Try fishing in 6-10 feet of water. I have good luck using

fixed bbobber a jig and minnow set 2-4 feet down, casting

and slowly retrieving it. A beetlespin/minnow also works.

Fish on!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

muskie-mike

I used to get crappies before the rusty crawfish destroyed the weedbeds.....

• Wow 1

Capt. Quicksteel

Now you’re going back a ways, Mike!😁

muskie-mike

Well I go back a ways,fishing Vermilion for 44 years or so...only found 1 crappie in the area this year...

CLOTAGAMES

Been fishing far west end since 1969. Crappie numbers have been up and down. They are extremely vulnerable to overharvest a few times a year especially right at that June 1 spawn time. We do target them but do 95% catch and release. Had a group of 15 guys at resort we stay at in 2018 all keep their limits of those big prespawn fish. Fishing for them this year was way off.11267760_900318370032530_7234837730360465780_n.thumb.jpg.3c4bb25f336c4baa6e4af7c258f53cbd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

delcecchi

Well, if they only kept one limit each, that isn't too bad.   

• Like 1

StillFishin'

That’s a big one!  Maybe 16”-17”?  

The group of 15 all keeping their limit-  I suppose they were all fishing in the same place ?  So they basically wiped out that whole school!  Doesn't seem right but that’s the rules.  Only way to prevent that is to change the rules for spawning time.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

delcecchi
4 hours ago, StillFishin' said:

That’s a big one!  Maybe 16”-17”?  

The group of 15 all keeping their limit-  I suppose they were all fishing in the same place ?  So they basically wiped out that whole school!  Doesn't seem right but that’s the rules.  Only way to prevent that is to change the rules for spawning time.  

Sure thing.  If it is really a problem, some special regs could be put in place.   Maybe reduce the limit to 5, or put in a slot or maximum length.   I'm all for that if there is a real issue.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wanderer
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Sure thing.  If it is really a problem, some special regs could be put in place.   Maybe reduce the limit to 5, or put in a slot or maximum length.   I'm all for that if there is a real issue.

Or, put a season on them like gamefish to protect the spawners.  But it would be anarchy!!

The DNR knows our overall panfish size structure needs some help and is trying everything BUT a closed season.  Slot limits, reduced limits, special pike regs, etc.  why not just protect them when they’re the most vulnerable?

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi
15 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Or, put a season on them like gamefish to protect the spawners.  But it would be anarchy!!

The DNR knows our overall panfish size structure needs some help and is trying everything BUT a closed season.  Slot limits, reduced limits, special pike regs, etc.  why not just protect them when they’re the most vulnerable?

Sure, closed season might be a good idea too.   Although, like bass, the spawn is so late as to make closing the season north of highway maybe impractical.     Best thing is to convince folks to throw them back and eat them walleyes instead.  Or, lord save me, a few smallies.  😁

FishinCT

Any updates on walleyes on the east end? Will be up this weekend for the first time this year. Shaping up to be great fall weather and my guess is the fish will be biting like crazy. Can't get overly optimistic though. I'll have 3 other guys in a black Lund somewhere on the east end. Stop by and we'll toss you a beer!